Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The 30 year old 'adult baby'

Still Waters

The problems I see with this guys "illness":

1. Its a huge waste on money. Making supports for his play pens, crib, whatnot.

2. Not to mention, he's not getting anything done, or getting an healthier. At the rate that he is going, when he gets to the age of 40, he'll actually need this, not just want it in claims of an illness.

3. This seems like more of a fetish to me.

Number one could apply to any obsession or hobby. Some men probably spend more money on season tickets to their favorite football team than this man spends on his baby paraphelia.

Number two could apply to anyone with an obsession or hobby that didn't involve some kind of physical exercise. Although, I do agree, this man needs to start living a healthier lifestyle judging by his weight.

Number three, I don't think this could qualify as a fetish, meaning that he finds some kind of sexual satisfaction in doing this. More of a paraphelia, imo.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hawken

• H.H. Holmes

• chaoszerg

• boos2u

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is he seeking counciling for this? I mean I can understand having to go to a happy place but it looks more like he is indulging a fantasy than trying to overcome his problems. Though I think it is weird, I cannot judge him, as many people have really strange and weird (some sick) fantasies. But I am more disgusted by the room mate and others who may be feeding his obsession if it is a genuine problem. He should be trying to overcome stuff, not just slipping to a happy place.

Holy **** this is pathetic!

IF this guy were actually disabled to the point where he could not work (which I doubt), what would it matter what he spent the money on? It's not like he's getting a formula and diaper allowance on top of whatever disability he would be owed (IF he were actually disabled).

I find it odd that people get so angry about the simple fact that he likes to act like a baby. Sure, get angry about the govt. money supporting him. I can get that. But why get angry that some weird guy likes playing with toys in a playpen? My god, one poster even said he should be shot.

In the realm of mental illness, this one seems rather harmless (IF he weren't erroneously collecting disability payments).

I think we can see he can work, because he states it himself and there is one picture where he is building something. Maybe he can't work eight hours and needs to rest more than others, but he could produce objects with his carpentry. Maybe he could build the adult sized stuff for others who share his paraphelia. I betting that there is not a cardiologist anywhere who wouldn't suggest exercise to get his weight down and lessen the strain on his heart. It can also be possible that this has been sensationalized in order to draw people to watch the TV show talked about in the article.

He should be trying to overcome stuff, not just slipping to a happy place.

This is a very interesting statement to me.

Why should people avoid that which makes them happy if it does no harm to others?

How is wearing a romper and playing with Lego differ from a man who dons sports jerseys and watches football non-stop in his 'man cave' decorated with pennants and statues of his football heroes? How is it any different than a person who travels the state or country on bird-watching tours every weekend and vacation... or, if they don't work... constantly?

I'm with H. Holmes on this one.

The only issue here, I think, is the man needs to take better care of his physical health and do some work. Maybe he could earn a living with his 'adult baby' website. :P

Now personally, I think the guy should get psychological help if he is suffering due to the abuse still. He could see a urologist to see if his incontinence could be alleviated somehow. But if he is actually, truly content and happy the way he is, why should he stop?

This is a very interesting statement to me.

Why should people avoid that which makes them happy if it does no harm to others?

I am not meaning to say he should completely stop it. Like I stated all sorts of people have weird fetishes, some much stranger than the guy in the OP.

What I am trying to say is that if it just something he does to deal with a traumatic experience then he should not be indulged so much and instead try and find away to come to terms with what has happened, instead of running away into his fantasy. If it is just a fetish he is indulging and not a coping mechanism then meh let him do as he pleases, as others have weird fantasies.

Nope, I just don't like others who seem to think they have a green light to make degrading remarks about someone. It's great that you overcame YOUR problem, but it doesn't give you the right to throw insults at others.

I might be rough around the edges but I don't glorify any tyrant who was responsible for the death of millions.

Number one could apply to any obsession or hobby. Some men probably spend more money on season tickets to their favorite football team than this man spends on his baby paraphelia.

Number two could apply to anyone with an obsession or hobby that didn't involve some kind of physical exercise. Although, I do agree, this man needs to start living a healthier lifestyle judging by his weight.

Number three, I don't think this could qualify as a fetish, meaning that he finds some kind of sexual satisfaction in doing this. More of a paraphelia, imo.

fet·ish   /ˈfɛtɪʃ, ˈfitɪʃ/

[fet-ish, fee-tish]

noun

1. an object regarded with awe as being the embodiment or habitation of a potent spirit or as having magical potency.

2. any object, idea, etc., eliciting unquestioning reverence, respect, or devotion: to make a fetish of high grades.

3. Psychology . any object or nongenital part of the body that causes a habitual erotic response or fixation.

Doesn't always mean a sexual fetish...

Also, buying adult sized nappies, formula/milk, baby food (asuming hes going full-baby), timber, and renting out an appartment arent as expensive as other mens hobbies in the long run? How long has he been doing this? Article says that he started when he was 13 wearing diapers because he still wanted the comfort of being a child. And assuming he also pays his "mother"...

Edited by Skeptic Chicken

This is obviously a grown man that doesn't want to face the realities of adulthood. We all wake up sometimes and realize that we have to go to work, pay bills, listen to our wives yammer(j/k ladies) and take care of kids but that's part of being an adult. You do it because you have responsibilities.

If this guy really had a psychiatric condition he wouldn't be building his own baby furniture or going out as an adult. This is a choice he made and the woman is nothing more than a codependent to him. She perpetuates the behavior which further reinforces his feeling that he doesn't need to be responsible.

Obviously he can woodwork. Get a carpenters job and stop living off the people. I have arthritis in pretty much every joint, my knees are bone to bone and I could get disability very easily but I choose to work. There are many mornings that I am in terrible pain but I get up and go. Of course everyone has certain thresholds and I'm not downing anyone on disability that needs it. If his heart were in such a terrible condition I find it hard to believe that he could do these projects.

I have no doubt that there are conditions and I realize there are a host of different issues related to mental illness and brain function but I just don't see it here.

I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. My money says that a day will come when it all snaps and the guy realizes he needs more out of life, maybe then he'll grow up....again.

This is obviously a grown man that doesn't want to face the realities of adulthood. We all wake up sometimes and realize that we have to go to work, pay bills, listen to our wives yammer(j/k ladies) and take care of kids but that's part of being an adult. You do it because you have responsibilities.

If this guy really had a psychiatric condition he wouldn't be building his own baby furniture or going out as an adult. This is a choice he made and the woman is nothing more than a codependent to him. She perpetuates the behavior which further reinforces his feeling that he doesn't need to be responsible.

Obviously he can woodwork. Get a carpenters job and stop living off the people. I have arthritis in pretty much every joint, my knees are bone to bone and I could get disability very easily but I choose to work. There are many mornings that I am in terrible pain but I get up and go. Of course everyone has certain thresholds and I'm not downing anyone on disability that needs it. If his heart were in such a terrible condition I find it hard to believe that he could do these projects.

I have no doubt that there are conditions and I realize there are a host of different issues related to mental illness and brain function but I just don't see it here.

I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. My money says that a day will come when it all snaps and the guy realizes he needs more out of life, maybe then he'll grow up....again.

He needs to put his mind to it and conquer his problem. Mother isn't going to be around forever to nurse maid him. He need to get professional help but most of all, needs to want to be helped to overcome his problem. Maybe a little tough love wouldn't hurt.

post-103357-0-81841300-1305556842_thumb.

I might be rough around the edges but I don't glorify any tyrant who was responsible for the death of millions.

What are you talking about? My avatar is an emo Hitler with the words "too bad he didn't kill himself earlier" typed under it. How is that glorifying him? I believe it is the exact opposite.

My husband's not too different lol :P

Number one could apply to any obsession or hobby. Some men probably spend more money on season tickets to their favorite football team than this man spends on his baby paraphernalia.

Just what I was thinking. If this man were spending that money on something "normal," nobody would bat an eye.

Also, to the people who think he should get a job because he built his own stuff - carpentry is a strenuous job, and working at it as a regular job could be too much. When you build something for yourself, you can do it at your own pace.

The ableism on this thread makes me sick.

I was all prepared to write a response but all I can say is that this man is not coming to terms with his issues at all, all he is doing is running away and by acting like this he is hoping that it will somehow all go away.

What is even more sad is that his "mommy" who is actually his room mate, is condoning this condition and furthering his acts of denial by actively going along with this..she apparently has just as many problems as he does.

This topic was being discussed on The Bob and Tom show this morning and they said the man was being investigated for social security fraud.

There is also an article.

"Sen. Tom Coburn has asked the Social Security Administration to look into 30-year-old Stanley Thornton Jr.—a man who lives most of his life as an "adult baby"—and his roommate, Sandra Dias—who acts as Thornton's "mother"—saying it's not clear why they are collecting Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits instead of working."

Man Baby

Don't know how valid this information is, but it appears that Sen. Coburn is thinking along the same lines some of us are.

Wow, he really is a big baby!

"In an email to The Washington Times, Thornton said that his carpentry skills were over-exaggerated on Taboo and threatened to commit suicide, should his benefits be cut off:

You wanna test how damn serious I am about leaving this world, screw with my check that pays for this apartment and food. Try it. See how serious I am. I don't care. I have no problem killing myself. Take away the last thing keeping me here, and see what happens. Next time you see me on the news, it will be me in a body bag."

As long as he's not harming anyone who cares? Don't judge lest ye be judged yourself. Same with the woman who feeds him etc. Harmless loons. Britain used to tolerate, even celebrate, eccentrics. Now the hordes of indoctrinated conformists just want to burn anyone that doesn't comply with their narrow views on what they are taught is acceptable. :blink:

Infantilism...was a featured topic in a segment on the Jerry Springer show (Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!) :w00t: known for discussions of anything previously not talked about like this on national TV before. Springer analyzed psychological disorders when he was a psychiatric counselor before he landed a TV career for such matters, not generally to allow guests to fight on the show (LOLZ). Here it is: grown Man in Diapers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsjMVnnII0g

Edited by Makoto Jupiter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

What in the world does his room-mate think she's doing encouraging him like this!

Those that uphold Mr Stanly should send there dollars to his address in Redding, CA. so he won't have to get a check from Uncle Sam :tu:

<_<

Just what I was thinking. If this man were spending that money on something "normal," nobody would bat an eye.

Also, to the people who think he should get a job because he built his own stuff - carpentry is a strenuous job, and working at it as a regular job could be too much. When you build something for yourself, you can do it at your own pace.

The ableism on this thread makes me sick.

If it wasn't for Carpernters, Plumbers and Electricians you'de be sleeping in the rain, crapping under a tree in the dark. <_<

As long as he's not harming anyone who cares? Don't judge lest ye be judged yourself. Same with the woman who feeds him etc. Harmless loons. Britain used to tolerate, even celebrate, eccentrics. Now the hordes of indoctrinated conformists just want to burn anyone that doesn't comply with their narrow views on what they are taught is acceptable. :blink:

So the rest of us work for a living while you mooch. <_<