Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Bog butter’ from 3,000 BC found in ancient

Still Waters

Over 100 pounds of "bog butter" have been discovered in Tullamore, County Offaly. This ancient food substance, thought to been buried as a form of refrigeration, is thought to be 5,000 years old, dating from the Iron Age.

Brian Clancy and his uncle Joe were cutting turf in Ballard Bog when they made the discovery.

Joe explained "We were cutting turf and I found what looked like a huge piece of timber…We took it out with a spade and it turned out to be bog butter." Speaking to the Irish Times he said "It looked like a keg or an urn with two handles and a lid carved from a solid piece of wood.

The container has carving marks around the edges with a removable lid with handles and holes, possibly for carrying. The wooden vessel measures a foot in diameter and is almost two feet tall. The 100 pound container was buried seven-feet down.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• Eldorado

• tipotep

• Robbie333

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Awsome find but I would't put it on my toast---OY !!!

Awsome find but I would't put it on my toast---OY !!!

lol me either... I'd taste the "bog poteen" if they found some though. Tis a cheeky wee drink is the poteen.

I know they found it in the " bog " but cant they call it burried butter or something , bog butter makes me think it was made from something else :o

TiP.