Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bright white light

calimama

Hi everyone, I'm new here and would really appreciate any information you could offer. A very brief background: I am one of those people that "feel" things, never seen anything other than the shadows that slip around corners when you're in a place that is haunted. Can tell if spirits are male or female, and feel emotions very clearly. Wierd stuff like that.

The house I've been living in was haunted when we moved in 20 yrs ago. The spirit was male, older, and very sad, irritable, with a stomach issue. I nicknamed him "Vinny" hah! He used to do mean bratty things like hide things and play pranks, scare my kids, etc. I got rid of him by burning sage in each of the rooms and asking him to leave, a ritual recommended to me by a Native American woman. I felt him only once afterwards, very faint and he went away when I asked him to. Poor Vinny. I'll post the whole story some other time.

So - recently, I had something happen that has never happened to me before and I'm curious to know what it could have been. Everything in me is telling me it's from the "spirit world" or whatever you want to call that place. It was something not of this earth. It did not feel like Vinny and he never did anything like this before.

I'm in my bedroom with the lights off watching television when there is a very bright flash of light. The television goes off. The light was intensely white and lasted only a couple of seconds. It lit up the entire room. PLEASE do not tell me it was car headlights as the light was centered in the room in such a way it could not be headlights. I know it was not headlights or static electricity or a camera flash. There was no camera or people anywhere with cameras. I FEEL it strongly that it was something significant. But I didn't see anything but the bright light. It was not round like an orb. It was a blinding bright white light.

Any thoughts? I am puzzled. Was it Vinny? He used to like to turn off the tv's on me. He didn't stay, if it was. Please give me your thoughts.

I know this all sounds crazy, but it is absolutely true.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and would really appreciate any information you could offer. A very brief background: I am one of those people that "feel" things, never seen anything other than the shadows that slip around corners when you're in a place that is haunted. Can tell if spirits are male or female, and feel emotions very clearly. Wierd stuff like that.

The house I've been living in was haunted when we moved in 20 yrs ago. The spirit was male, older, and very sad, irritable, with a stomach issue. I nicknamed him "Vinny" hah! He used to do mean bratty things like hide things and play pranks, scare my kids, etc. I got rid of him by burning sage in each of the rooms and asking him to leave, a ritual recommended to me by a Native American woman. I felt him only once afterwards, very faint and he went away when I asked him to. Poor Vinny. I'll post the whole story some other time.

So - recently, I had something happen that has never happened to me before and I'm curious to know what it could have been. Everything in me is telling me it's from the "spirit world" or whatever you want to call that place. It was something not of this earth. It did not feel like Vinny and he never did anything like this before.

I'm in my bedroom with the lights off watching television when there is a very bright flash of light. The television goes off. The light was intensely white and lasted only a couple of seconds. It lit up the entire room. PLEASE do not tell me it was car headlights as the light was centered in the room in such a way it could not be headlights. I know it was not headlights or static electricity or a camera flash. There was no camera or people anywhere with cameras. I FEEL it strongly that it was something significant. But I didn't see anything but the bright light. It was not round like an orb. It was a blinding bright white light.

Any thoughts? I am puzzled. Was it Vinny? He used to like to turn off the tv's on me. He didn't stay, if it was. Please give me your thoughts.

Welcome to UM :)

There was a topic similar to this a while back. I'll see if I can dredge it up.

EDIT: Here's one. Not the one I was thinking of but similar. It's in the Sightings, reports and experiences section. My link

As for everyday explainations, where are the lights in that room? It could be that there was a power cut which can be preceeded by a power surge. If there was a problem with a fuse somewhere it could have caused the lights to flare and then them and the tv to go off.

Edited by Setton

Welcome to UM :)

There was a topic similar to this a while back. I'll see if I can dredge it up.

EDIT: Here's one. Not the one I was thinking of but similar. It's in the Sightings, reports and experiences section. My link

As for everyday explainations, where are the lights in that room? It could be that there was a power cut which can be preceeded by a power surge. If there was a problem with a fuse somewhere it could have caused the lights to flare and then them and the tv to go off.

There is a ceiling fan which has lights on it but it wasn't switched on. There is a table lamp but it was not switched on either. The light was centered at the foot of my bed so wasn't near the ceiling. There are windows in the proxmity, but the light didn't come from the windows. It flashed from the center and radiated outward. We have had power outages and times when there were electrical overloads and we had to reset the circuit breakers outside. But it just didn't feel anything like that. My husband was watching tv in the living room and when I came out and told him what happened, he just looked nervous like he does and said the tv in the living room was fine (I can't really talk to him about this kind of stuff, it scares him). I then went back in the bedroom and turned on the tv and there wasn't any problem with it. No breakers had to be reset or anything.

Thanks for the link... I'll check it out.

You seem closed to the idea that there may be a non paranormal explanation for your experience. Did the tv come back on after? What time was it? could you have fallen asleep?

• Like 1

It is interesting that you can "feel" all of those facts but yet you have to assign him a nickname. If you saw a flash and the TV went off, you should call an electrician before leaping to any paranormal explanations.

• Like 1

There is a ceiling fan which has lights on it but it wasn't switched on. There is a table lamp but it was not switched on either. The light was centered at the foot of my bed so wasn't near the ceiling. There are windows in the proxmity, but the light didn't come from the windows. It flashed from the center and radiated outward. We have had power outages and times when there were electrical overloads and we had to reset the circuit breakers outside. But it just didn't feel anything like that. My husband was watching tv in the living room and when I came out and told him what happened, he just looked nervous like he does and said the tv in the living room was fine (I can't really talk to him about this kind of stuff, it scares him). I then went back in the bedroom and turned on the tv and there wasn't any problem with it. No breakers had to be reset or anything.

Thanks for the link... I'll check it out.

Is there a reason this kind of stuff scares him? Just trying to get as much background as I can. I do think it was most likely an electrical fault though.

The same thing happened to me. I posted my story a while back, and I will later if I can't find it.

What were your feelings about this light?

You said you felt it was significant, but was it significant like it was somehow "meant" to be there and for you to witness it?

What time did this happen, if you know?

I hope to hear back from you. My experience almost a decade ago remains burned in my memories and it would be nice to share some thoughts. :yes:

Welcome to UM by the way. :tu:

The spirit was male, older, and very sad, irritable, with a stomach issue.

.........Why would a spirit have a "stomach" issue????

At any rate it sounds electrical to me. Most likely a type of localized power surge too. Shouldn't happen really if the fuse box or circuit breaker is up to code.

It is all too easy to assume that such an occurrence is "spirit" related especially if one believes in that stuff; kind of makes it difficult to consider real and more mundane possibilities.

Seriously though..if the house you moved into is old then you might want to have a certified electrician look into the wiring because some old houses still have the old steel wires which were wrapped in tar soaked paper..it is a possibility. Don't want the house to be a tinderbox.

• Like 1

Is there a reason this kind of stuff scares him? Just trying to get as much background as I can. I do think it was most likely an electrical fault though.

Extra, he just says he doesn't like to talk about that kind of stuff. He doesn't believe in it. When I tell him things that happen to me, he becomes uncomfortable. So I ususally do not tell him anything anymore. We've been married over 25 years and have learned to respect each other's beliefs and space.

Extra, he just says he doesn't like to talk about that kind of stuff. He doesn't believe in it. When I tell him things that happen to me, he becomes uncomfortable. So I ususally do not tell him anything anymore. We've been married over 25 years and have learned to respect each other's beliefs and space.

Fair enough. Really can't think of anything but an electrical fault right now but there's plenty of things I've never heard of :P

The same thing happened to me. I posted my story a while back, and I will later if I can't find it.

What were your feelings about this light?

You said you felt it was significant, but was it significant like it was somehow "meant" to be there and for you to witness it?

What time did this happen, if you know?

I hope to hear back from you. My experience almost a decade ago remains burned in my memories and it would be nice to share some thoughts. :yes:

Welcome to UM by the way. :tu:

Hey Alive, thanks for the welcome!

My feelings about the light were that it was not an average kind of light. It was very bright and illuminated the entire room for a few seconds. By feeling it was significant I meant that I got a feeling like it was a dream or surreal for a few seconds. It wasn't a regular kind of light. It felt other worldly, like I said. I wish I knew how to describe that feeling I got. Not scary. Just like a heightened kind of feeling. It sounds stupid. I can't describe it. I guess a good word to use would be "mesmerized" ?? I was mesmermized by it. I couldn't take my eyes off it. It happened very quickly.

I think that people who have not experienced that kind of feeling, cannot understand it, and it's hard to explain it, I was just hoping someone knew what it was - I mean, whether a spirit can manifest itself in that way - as a bright flash of brilliant blinding light. I have heard of round orbs, but this was not round. It was not a glow - it was a flash.

The time was around 10 PM at night.

.........Why would a spirit have a "stomach" issue????

At any rate it sounds electrical to me. Most likely a type of localized power surge too. Shouldn't happen really if the fuse box or circuit breaker is up to code.

It is all too easy to assume that such an occurrence is "spirit" related especially if one believes in that stuff; kind of makes it difficult to consider real and more mundane possibilities.

Seriously though..if the house you moved into is old then you might want to have a certified electrician look into the wiring because some old houses still have the old steel wires which were wrapped in tar soaked paper..it is a possibility. Don't want the house to be a tinderbox.

Ryu: I felt like the spirit was of a man who had a stomach issue because I could hear his stomach gurgling. Just stop laughing for a minute! It is true. I said I would post this another time, and I will but this is it in a nutshell ... the spirit (or entity or ghost or whatever) felt to me to be a man, irritable, older, discontented. We bought the house because I liked it had a converted garage. I put my computer in there and would spend alot of time in that room. He would scratch lightly on the walls. Often, he would scratch on the bathroom door which was close to my computer. I would hear a gurgling sound which somehow made me think of a stomach disorder coming from the bathroom.

I got to know my neighbors over time. At a barbecue at our ouse, I asked one of the older neighbor ladies if she knew who lived in the house before us. She told me all about the man. It was as I guessed in my heart. He was silver haired, older gentleman, who married a pretty younger wife. She had an affair and left him. He was sad, inconsolable, and begged her back. She came back on the condition that he convert the garage into a bedroom and bath for herself as she did not wish to share a room with him. He did so. It was unfinished when we moved in. My husband finished it. Apparently, the young wife, left him for her lover AGAIN, this time for good. The older man became progressively sick and died before he could finish the living space. I asked the neighbor if he had a stomach problem. She said she couldn't remember what he died of but it might have been a stomach complication. It was in the hospital, not in the house, that he died.

It was startling to me that I had guessed so much about this spirit, but in another way, it wasn't surprising as I just knew. I knew it already. I have been this way since from the time I was around 9 or so. At least that's the earliest I can remember. I know when there is somehting around, I know if it's male or female, and I can feel emotions like sadness, anger, etc., that are connected to it.

I am a middle-aged adult woman. Believe me, I do not attribute most things to paranormal activities. I know what a power surge is. I know what circuit breakers are there for, etc. I don't think it was anything like that, it was totally different. Which is why I felt compelled to write about it.

I thought perhaps on a paranormal forum, someone might understand, or might have some answer for what the light may have been.

I guess it will just have to be unexplained and I'll forget about it until it happens again, if it ever does.

My feelings about the light were that it was not an average kind of light. It was very bright and illuminated the entire room for a few seconds. By feeling it was significant I meant that I got a feeling like it was a dream or surreal for a few seconds. It wasn't a regular kind of light. It felt other worldly, like I said. I wish I knew how to describe that feeling I got. Not scary. Just like a heightened kind of feeling. It sounds stupid. I can't describe it. I guess a good word to use would be "mesmerized" ?? I was mesmermized by it. I couldn't take my eyes off it. It happened very quickly.

I think that people who have not experienced that kind of feeling, cannot understand it, and it's hard to explain it, I was just hoping someone knew what it was - I mean, whether a spirit can manifest itself in that way - as a bright flash of brilliant blinding light. I have heard of round orbs, but this was not round. It was not a glow - it was a flash.

I would say take the experience of what you felt and leave it at that. Your senses obviously got something from the energy of it. I think trying to determine 'what' it was is a pointless task and that you should accept the experience and move on. There could be lots of things it could be and closest you are going to get to is that it was some sort of energy you were able to perceive.

As someone who is sensitive, I can tell you that any energy that gives a sense of a heightened feeling is usually one that of a higher vibration, so that is not a stupid feeling to describe at all.

Thank you for answering my questions. :)

My experience was very similar to yours.. feeling-wise.

It was years ago and I was about 13, but I still remember what happened vividly. I was hanging out with a childhood friend of mine at the time, around 8 pm. His parents and mine were in my front yard chatting, but he and I got bored and decided to get my wagon in the backyard. My backyard is pretty large and surrounded by forest, and we have a structure like a playhouse made of wood that the wagon was by, diagonally across the yard from us. This "playhouse" was built by my dad when I was around eight for my sister and I to play in. :P It was sort of a box structure, with a roof and walls, but the walls sort of had gaps 4 inches long below the roof(for ventilation I suppose). The place didn't have any lights, or means to light it up, because my sister and I usually spent our time in it in the day. It also had no electrical outlets or cords.

Anyway, we were about to walk across the yard and get the wagon, when the door of the playhouse filled up with this pure white light. The crazy thing is that it did not come from the gaps in the walls-just the door. Like a portal or something. It shone out for a yard in it's seeming brilliance.

I experienced the same feelings as you. I was mesmerized and in awe. I knew it was meant to be there, but I don't know why. And, I knew it was other-worldly.

My friend and I did not stay long enough to see it end. We were surprised and he looked afraid, so we ran back to the front yard, and explained what we say to our parents. They ended up going into the playhouse to see if anything was amiss, and it was as it usually was... dark, and normal without that feeling of a different presence.

I still don't know what it was to this day, but I will never forget about it. I felt like it was a sentient being; that the light knew it was there. So weird.

• 3 years later...

I'm new to this forum also. I actually found it trying to find an answer on this very topic. It happened 6-7 years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday. I was hanging out with my roommate in the computer room of our apartment, we were watching music videos or something on YouTube. All of a sudden there was a flash of the brightest white light either of us had ever seen. It lit up the entire room, so much that literally all we saw for that second was white. None of the lights were on but the computer was, and nothing happened to the screen. Even so, it couldn't give off a flash so bright that it would be all we could see. The only other light source was the small window, and there was only woods behind it. No street with houses or cars, and it was already day time. We know that this can't be explained because we both just felt this insane energy the second it happened, and we know it wasn't just us because even the parakeet we had at the time (whose cage we kept in that room) was freaking out when it happened and stopped once it went away. We both were so taken back by it we had to leave the room, and my superstitious roommate out salt on all the windows of the house for protection. That memory has stuck with me for years and I can't figure out what it could have been.

I will say the woman that lived in the apartment before us became a recluse and died in there. We didn't know that until after we moved in, otherwise we probably wouldn't have lived there. A lot of other unusual things happened there too, and I'm sure this is one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Something has been happening for the last few years and a couple of nights ago it occurred again to the point that I Googled info about bright lights flashing and found this discussion board. My husband and I have been attending church for years. We read the Bible and go to Bible study groups. We moved into a house about 9 years ago that was built in 1998. Our bedroom faces south and is on the second floor. We have a large window and our house is up on a hill and overlooks a very small town about 10 miles away with a mountain range in the background. About 2 years after moving in the house, my husband and I were sleeping and I woke up and looked at my husband and this big flash of light lit him up for a second. It was a bright white light completely directed and focused on my husband. He glowed. It lasted for a second and was gone. The light did not move as I thought it might have been from a car, but it couldn't have been because our house sits up high on a hill. I was so tired and just thought it was from a plane or I was dreaming and fell back to sleep. A year later, it happened again. This time I woke up my husband. I asked him if he saw the light and he said he thought he saw something, but again we were tired and we both fell back to sleep. I did question if it was semi lights of a logging truck from a mountain range across the way. The bright light happened 2 more times over the years. The last time I saw it, I woke up my husband and he said this time he did see the bright light. He thought I turned on bedroom light. This time, I thought about what it could be. The light is very quick. It turns on and then off. Does not move. Always focused on my husband and the light is so bright that it lights up my husband and his side of the bed and lasts for a second. It is as if someone took a picture of him and instantly the light is gone and seems to come from the window. It is not a frightening experience. It occurs anywhere from 2 to 3:30am. The last time I saw the light and when it disappeared, I leaped out of bed and ran to the window. I looked out and did not see anything. I know it is not car lights because of the intense light and we are up on a hill where no car lights can shine on our window. I looked out at the town and it is too far away to shine a intense light through our window and I wondered why it was directed on my husband only. In fact, where I lay on the bed, it would make more sense for the light to shine on me than my husband, because where he lays on the bed from the window is kind of in a corner section of the room. If you were to lay down where my husband lays and look out at the window, there is no way and no logical explanation where a beam of light that is so bright can come from a plane, or car lights, or even a logging truck across the mountain range because that mountain range must be a good 25 miles away and we have trees with leaves blocking any direct line of a beam of light. Three nights ago, my husband said he was having bad vibes while he was sleeping. It was around 2:00 am and felt a bad presence to the point where he was wide awake and started rebuking a bad evil spirits. Then he tried to fall back to sleep around 2:30am and then the bright white beam of light flashed at him that he freaked. He thought someone was taking a picture of him. He jumped out of bed and ran to the window. He opend the window and looked out. He did not see a thing. He did not hear a thing. He walked around the room trying to figure out where this light came from. He started to remember of all my stories of how I saw this light shine on him. He went down the stairs and looked around the house and then he went outside trying to figure out where this beam of bright white light came from. We have no answers. Just that after the beam of light shined, my husband had a good feeling and all bad evil presence gone. The only thing that came to mind was a drone peaking in the window and shining a light, but why focus on my husband? Yep, we have no idea, just that we both have now seen the light more than once. I Googled some of the stories of a bright light and emailed my husband with the stories. He is now freaked. He said all the stories he has read are identical to what he saw or felt.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to um! And i got to say i beleive you, we bought a house around 2001 and lived in it for about 1 year and it turned Haunted, now i didnt beleive in ghosts at all, i beleive

its either Angels or demons since i am a christian. But i never would have guessed i'd have to deal with a haunted house in a million years. i have seen lots of supernatural events

both on the good side and the evil side. we had a pastor who deal in the supernatural help us clean out our house, it took a little time, but we did get the house cleaned out, so there

is hope if you are suffering from a haunted house as we were. But we are Christians and it wouldn't have been possible without GOD. When ever things happened we would pray for GOD to stop them in the name of JESUS CHRIST and soon enough the evil spirits would flee. So i know from experiance that haunted houses are real. i think the bright light is Angels fighting the evil spirits ......you can Not beleive if you wish...it is a free Counrty, lol. Well feel free to write me if you have Questions about my experiance's, Randy.

• 1 year later...

I had a similar experience but now it kinda explained, u probably had a quick sizure. Nothing serious