Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are you currently reading?

kmt_sesh

If you fancy a novel about alien visitation and UFOs with a few conspiracy theories thrown in check out ASIN B006HFTX0K on Amazon.com

I guess I'm a fantasy guy too, can get enough of it :yes:

Currently, I'm on the third book in the series " A Song of Ice and Fire, A storm of swords" by George R,R Martin

I find it to be brilliant, the storyline, the characters, everything

And the way he turned the chapters into characters is amazing.

I know it's kinda "mainstream" but i really enjoy reading it :whistle:

The fantasy genre is one I least enjoy and it's rare that I'd spend any time on its books. Just the same, some time ago I rented the first season of Game of Thrones from the HBO production because watching fantasy material on the screen (big or little) is more palatable to me. Little did I know what I was in for.

I was so hooked by the TV adaptation that I plunged in and bought the first book. Within several chapters I was hooked. I am now a self-admitted Game of Thrones addict. It took some time, given how long the books are (they seem to get longer with each publication), but I plowed through all five that have been published so far. I'm itching for the next installment, whenever that might happen. Martin is a great writer but has a poor track record with publishing in a timely manner. I think it was between the fourth and fifth books (?) that a decade passed before publication.

In any case I recently bought season two of the HBO production and am only more hooked now. Season three starts tomorrow but I do not have HBO, so I'll be itching for that to come out on DVD, too.

Hat's off to George Martin.

• Like 1

Finished reading The Third Gate by Lincoln Child. Now I'm reading The Sanctuary by Raymond Khoury.

Still need to read Two Graves to finish the Pendergast series.

Edited by susieice

Hapgood book is great book. Its pseudo trash to you because you never heard of term revisionist/historian.

You probably even think that Bering discover Bering strait.

Historian? maybe. he was a professor/lecturer in history.

But that doesnt make him an authority on plate tectonics. does it?

Or does it make him a cartographer? does it?

Acquired knowledge maybe.

Of course. pseudo trash, it is. because he has been disproved many times.

Care to disagree?

Of course i dont think that Bering discovered bering strait, it was named in his honour.

Havent you heard of Vitus Bering???

Did george Washington discover Washgington?

and what the heck is the point you are trying to make???

As for my post, i stated the book i am reading and my take on it. This not a topic on hapgood, but books, of which hapgood have written many, mainly on pseudo sciences.

and your point???

My point is that he made MANY valuble points in the book you called pseudo trash. Well thats probably because you learn in school that Culombus discovered America and you still believe in that. And the fact that you didnt read whole book.

What he wrote in that book is just collection of historian dilemas. Ofcourse he didnt gather them all. There are many maps which are interesting and could change history.

Meaning-he didnt invent hot water. Its what many historians argued about. He just collected them and gave his view.

So to call his book pseudo is kind a wrong.

If I have more time I could gave you account for atleast 7 maps which he mention in his book who are kind a mystery.

Map of Australia and America before discovery, Map of Antartica before discovery. Map of non existing islands, And so on.

Bottom of line- he gave EVIDENCES for knowledge before knowledge and to call him pseudo either put you in ignorant shoes or you still didnt get to the parts where he gave evidences. Meaning that you just start reading book and you already made judgement that you are reading pseudo book. That is my point.

i have read the hard print years ago.

i am broswing the soft copy in pdf for the maps. Not the trash he writes about. period.

and your point?

every tom dick and harry has his views about everything sundry.

So did Hapgood. and many and almost most of his views were wrong.

anything else?

Farm Mechanics MACHINERY AND ITS USE TO SAVE HAND LABOR ON THE FARM

Herbert A. Shearer. Frederick J. Drake & Co. 1918

i have read the hard print years ago.

i am broswing the soft copy in pdf for the maps. Not the trash he writes about. period.

and your point?

every tom dick and harry has his views about everything sundry.

So did Hapgood. and many and almost most of his views were wrong.

anything else?

Yes. Your name is either Tom or Harry?

I just finished reading a fantasy novel, DRINKER OF SOULS by Jo Clayton. I am currently working on WAR: A DEFINITIVE HISTORY by Saul David. I never read two fiction books in succession.

Yes. Your name is either Tom or Harry?

Oh my god. How did you guess. Of course my name is Tom and harry.

Since tom and harry are my names, the remaining name must be yours ..right??

I like Mystery, Horror/Thriller, Adventure, Sci Fi and a bit of Fantasy.

Reading Wool at the moment by Hugh Howey.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. There, men and women live in a society full of regulations they believe are meant to protect them. Sheriff Holston, who has unwaveringly upheld the silo’s rules for years, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: He asks to go outside.

His fateful decision unleashes a drastic series of events. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken. The silo is about to confront what its history has only hinted about and its inhabitants have never dared to whisper. Uprising.

In a month i'm going on a four week holiday with a few destinations, ordered a few more books to get me through the flights.

Necronomicon, Relict and Dr. Karl Kruszelnicki's Brain Food.

Edited by DKO

Wool is a cool series. I read all the books.

Currently wading through Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs & Steel, and huge book called the Story of Graphic Design. Have been reading that for over 2 months an am only up to the 1600s.

• Like 1

Currently wading through Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs & Steel, and huge book called the Story of Graphic Design. Have been reading that for over 2 months an am only up to the 1600s.

Guns Germs and Steel is must read. Its something like Carl Sagan Cosmos. But, to me, Jared s best book is Collapse. Great book. I reckomand that book to everyone.

Guns Germs and Steel is must read. Its something like Carl Sagan Cosmos. But, to me, Jared s best book is Collapse. Great book. I reckomand that book to everyone.

Yeah, read that a few years ago - I like him a lot, he's one of those people I could listen to talking for hours.

Yeah, read that a few years ago - I like him a lot, he's one of those people I could listen to talking for hours.

Guns, Germs, and Steel is a treasure. My uncle sent it to me some years back and I really enjoyed it.

Right now I'm reading The Archaeology of Disease by Charlotte Roberts and Keith Manchester. How's that for a bit of light reading? :w00t:

May i recommend some real interesting reads

• Five Quarts : A personal and natural History of Blood by Bill Hayes (for all those interested to know and for the wannabe vampires)

412KfSKBgwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

• The Anatomist : A True Story of Gray's Anatomy by Bill Hayes

51oujaOqMDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

• House of Rain: Tracking a vanished Civilization Across the American Southwest by Craig Clilds (Read Tracking the Anasazi )

41BdA%2BAcjcL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

• The Secret Knowledge of Water : Discovering the Essence of the American Desert by Craig Childs

51CJm96iu5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

• The Animal Dialogues: Uncommon Encounters in the Wild by Criag Childs

51eQjg%2BBtXL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I read all of them and found them very entertaining & educative.

• Like 1

The fantasy genre is one I least enjoy and it's rare that I'd spend any time on its books. Just the same, some time ago I rented the first season of Game of Thrones from the HBO production because watching fantasy material on the screen (big or little) is more palatable to me. Little did I know what I was in for.

I was so hooked by the TV adaptation that I plunged in and bought the first book. Within several chapters I was hooked. I am now a self-admitted Game of Thrones addict. It took some time, given how long the books are (they seem to get longer with each publication), but I plowed through all five that have been published so far. I'm itching for the next installment, whenever that might happen. Martin is a great writer but has a poor track record with publishing in a timely manner. I think it was between the fourth and fifth books (?) that a decade passed before publication.

In any case I recently bought season two of the HBO production and am only more hooked now. Season three starts tomorrow but I do not have HBO, so I'll be itching for that to come out on DVD, too.

Hat's off to George Martin.

Heh, i wish now that I had first watched the series, because now when I watch I find myself yelling at the tv: " Hey, they didn't put that in that scene or Hey, where's that guy etsc.

I'm still stuck on the first season of the series, I can't force myself to watch it, maybe after i'm finished with all the books!

Indeed, he is brililiant :yes:

• 1 month later...

Almost finished with "In Search Of Adam," by Herbert Wendt, chronicling the history of the study of man's origins. (having previously read "African Genesis" and "Lucy: The Beginnings Of Mankind") It comes off a bit dated in places, being written in 1955, but it should be required reading for any fringe adherent who believes that Evolutionists were always in charge of the establishment and controversial finds were automatically suppressed.

I am reading WORLD WITHOUT END by Molly Cochran and Warren Murphy, about someone hunting down and killing gifted psychics who seem to be descendants of the royal house of Atlantis.

I started rereading my Dutch copy of "Briefing for a Descent into Hell" by Doris Lessing, but I stopped after a couple of pages.Just couldn't get through it again...

http://www.dorislessing.org/briefing.html

Then I picked my Dutch copy of her "Shikasta" from the shelves, and that reads lot better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikasta

Let's see. I'm currently reading:

1) Orlando Furioso, a 16th Century epic romance by Ariosto

2) Ab Urbe Condita by Livy, a history of Rome

3) The Island of the Day Before, a novel by Umberto Eco

4) Le Feu and Le Flueve, a French book about Heraclitus in the French Renaissance

5) Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition by Francis Yates

6) a Doctor Who book called The Coming of the Terraphiles

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

read the dr who book jayle, the great mike moorcock!

i'm reading 'swamp thing:love and death' (graphic novel) by the god alan moore, eight of his best tales from his run on 'the saga of the swamp thing'

Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz. I'm a big Dean Koontz and Stephen King Fan.

I read this twice one after the other. It consists of all FACTUAL ACCOUNTS of true unexplained bizarre disappearances.

8eaf4310fca0d6ade6947010.L.jpg

Excerpt:

It's difficult to dismiss such incredible stories when they take place in front of eyewitnesses. Here's another. This case began as a harmless bet among friends, but ended in tragic mystery. In 1873, James Worson of Leamington Spa, England, was a simple shoemaker who also fancied himself somewhat of an athlete. One fine day, James made a bet with a few of his friends that he could run non-stop from Leamington Spa to Coventry. Knowing that this was a good 16 miles, his friends readily took the bet.As James began to jog at a moderate pace toward Coventry, his friends climbed into a horse-drawn cart to follow him and protect their bet. James did well for the first few miles. Then his friends saw him trip on something and fall forward... but never hit the ground. Instead, James completely vanished. Astonished and doubting their own eyes, his friends looked for him without success, then raced back to Leamington Spa to inform the police. An investigation turned up nothing. James Worson had run into oblivion.
One of the craziest ever: Case of Canada's Granger Taylor (one of the most bizarre ufo related disappearances to this day.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2012/10/the-strange-disappearance-of-granger-taylor/

Thess are just a few. Every account has been recorded as factual and unsolved. I love this stuff. Only if its actual accounts which this book encompasses.

• Like 1