Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are you currently reading?

kmt_sesh

Shooter was a good movie. And marky mark is an excellent actor. I should pick up that book.

yeah. Bob Lee Swagger...Yeah!

Did u know that Swagger is actually based on Carlos hathcock, a legendary Marine Sniper!!

I have read all the books so far.

Edit, i know that cladkoxy sometimes discusses about Ancient Egyptian Boats and i found one such book by Dilwyn Jones - Ancient Egyptian Boats

Have a good read!!

LOL I envy you, that. Reading ten books at once? I'm lucky to have the time to be reading two at a time; if I'm lucky, maybe three.

Maybe that's for the best. Were I to try to read that many books at one time, I'd likely get them confused and start thinking Sumerians built the Great Pyramid during the Peloponnesian War which was fought between Julius Caesar and Hammurabi near the first cataract of the Nile...

You get the idea. On the plus side, even in that state of mind, I would still not introduce aliens or Atlanteans into my befuddled memory. No one goes that far off the deep end, right? :rolleyes:

Lol. Well mostly it is to form the cross references in my brain. Once I start writing I don't want to be stopped by having to start digging through literature to remember what links where and why.

But the Atlanteans and Nibbler addition always makes me wonder if some people are trying to create themselves a Erstazreligion, after all the attributions given to both Nibblers and Atlanteans is what people in other times attributed to the gods.

I read fiction and Non Fiction - both paper and E books.

If its Paper books, i finish what i start reading. I got this Speed reading technique so that i can read fast, pausing in between to take notes (only when i am reading Non-fiction)

If its eBooks, i add a page mark to the page i have read. I got many eBooks, partially read, in this manner. Slowly, i get back to them and complete reading them :rolleyes:

i am reading

guines world records 2003

I downloaded three books in the "Shire Egyptology" Series, published by Shire Publishing.

Egyptian Metalworking and Tools - Bernd Scheel

Egyptian Medicine - Carole Reeves

Egyptian Woodworking and Furniture - Geoffrey Killen

Egyptian Towns and Cities - Eric P. Uphill

small books, but good stuff. next on my reading list!!

I downloaded three books in the "Shire Egyptology" Series, published by Shire Publishing.

Egyptian Metalworking and Tools - Bernd Scheel

Egyptian Medicine - Carole Reeves

Egyptian Woodworking and Furniture - Geoffrey Killen

Egyptian Towns and Cities - Eric P. Uphill

small books, but good stuff. next on my reading list!!

New stuff for my wishlist, but the Egyptian Metal working may take some time.

I have been reading "Ancient Mysteries & Alternative History", a forum on the "Unexplained Mysteries" site for years now.

And of course every online book and document (remotely) related to the "Oera Linda Book" thread.

I can tell you all: I have never in my life read so many medieval manuscripts and 19th century (Dutch) texts as in this past year.

Edited by Abramelin

Do you all really read 1/4 of a book then start reading another one? Then stop and start reading another one??? Everyone seems to be 'reading' 10 books at a time :)

I often will be reading 3 or 4 at a time. Usually they are a mix however, so I can keep them straight. One will be fantasy, one sci-fi, another a science type book, and a fourth could be a biography, mystery or often, the Bible.

I've read that do so is good for keeping your memory sharp. You know... the more you use it, the stronger it is.

Edited by DieChecker

In Non fiction I am currently reading three books :

1. Friedman, Richard - Who Wrote the Bible

2. Finkelstein, Israel - The Bible Unearthed. Archaeology´s New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts

3. Armstrong, Karen - A History of God

Among Fiction reads

1. Cussler, Clive- The Jungle

2. Patterson, James - Toys

On the reading list are the following books :

Non Fiction :

1. Sand, Shlomo - The Invention of the Jewish People

2. Armstrong, Karen - The Battle for God

Fiction :

1. Though the book series is for young readers..i have liked the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. got a few more books to read in the series.

Actually those five non-fiction books are fantasy novels

same here.

Anyways, I recently finished (fantasy) Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Great book. I agree with first rule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard's_First_Rule

And I finished The fifth mountain by Paulo Coelho. Awesome book.

http://www.paulocoelho.com/en/store.php

The Fifth Mountain is Paulo Coelho's inspiring story of the Biblical prophet Elijah. In the ninth century B.C., the Phoenician princess Jezebel orders the execution of all the prophets who refuse to seek safety in the land of Zarephath, where the unexpectedly finds true love with a young widow. But this newfound rapture is to be cut short, and Elijah sees all of his hopes and dreams irrevocably erased as he is swept into a whirlwind of events that threatens his very existence. In what is truly a literary milestone, Coelho gives a quietly moving account of a man touched by the hand of God who must triumph over his frustrations in a soul-shattering trail of faith.

Good books series

*SPOILER ALERT*

Richard gets kidnapped in the second book. And later in the series he meets three half-siblings.Also Kahlan gets pregnant

I'm more of a fantasy reader. I recently finished the Dragonlance series, and I'm going to read Time of the Twins when i comes out on kindle, until then i'm reading the Lost Civilization series (still on Giants)

Actually those five non-fiction books are fantasy novels

Could you explain, on what basis, do you consider the five Non-Fiction books as Fantasy Novels?

Edited by The Spartan

Could you explain, on what basis, do you consider the five Non-Fiction books as Fantasy Novels?

Kind of wondering that myself.

'cause the "non-fiction" he knows comes from Sitchin, Hancock and von Daniken?

I expect it's due to archeological look at a religious culture.

But best to wait until he answers for himself.

My copy of Flim Flam just came in. I'm thumbing through it at the moment.

At least he's being honest about it:

"I am an Atheist, a Ancient Astronaut theorist, a believer that 9/11 was an in side job, a believer that aliens frequently visit earth, and someone who's sanity is always being questioned."

I once met the Jibaro/Jivaro/Shuar indians in Peru.

To them the world of dreams is the real world, and the world of everyday - waking - life is the illusion.

And from that, we can go a looooong way...

:lol:

Hey kmt, great idea - however, there is an 81 page thread on this same topic in the "Other" forum/Movies, Music, Books and Television shows. I guess for the die-hards on this forum, it's better to have another thread here as they may never scroll down on the main forum listing page ;)

Like you, I am a big fan of the Douglas Preston/Licoln Childs books and love the Pendergast character! Very excited to hear that a new one is coming out in a few months. I got my son hooked on these books too and took him to see the movie version of The Relic which unfortunately was pretty awful.

I just finished The Land of Painted Caves by Jean Auel and the Hunger Games series (all three in two weeks!) and am now reading Madame Tussaud: A Novel by Michelle Moran. Since I have a Kindle, it's easy to read several books simultaneously, so I'm also checking in from time to time with Michael Pollan's book The Botany of Desire and Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I also have several cookbooks on my Kindle that I refer to frequently.

I went to a lecture by Michael Pollan a couple of weeks ago and found out that he is working on a book about cooking which I very much look forward to.

Other authors I like: Wilbur Smith (great adventure stories), Michael Crichton (you're right, a great loss to the literary world), Paulo Coelho, Steven Pressfield (wrote about Thermopylae and the Peloponnesian War among other things), Elizabeth Kostova, Anne Rice, Patricia Cornwell and Ken Follett (the cathedral series). I've been a voracious reader my whole life, so the Kindle can be dangerous as I can quickly spend way too much if I'm not careful. However, it is very nice, especially while traveling, to be able to carry multiple books very easily or to download something new without any trouble.

Watership Down. again. and the Grapes of Wrath.

OMG Elizabeth Kostova. The Historian is one of my favorite books.

Today i cam across a good book which i am recommending on this thread for all to read -

Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why - Bart D. Ehrman

You should also try out Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (And Why We Don't Know About Them) by the same author.

I'm reading now Picknett and Prince "The Stargate Conspiracy"...it shows why the five books are Fantasy Novels (and any other books written by Hancock and friends)...

."The Stargate Conspiracy (1999) is nothing less than the revelation of the intricate relationship between the gods of ancient Egypt, New Age prophets, channelling cults and serious parapsychological researchers - all presided over like puppetmasters by the west's intelligence agencies. "

I'm reading now Picknett and Prince "The Stargate Conspiracy"...it shows why the five books are Fantasy Novels (and any other books written by Hancock and friends)...

."The Stargate Conspiracy (1999) is nothing less than the revelation of the intricate relationship between the gods of ancient Egypt, New Age prophets, channelling cults and serious parapsychological researchers - all presided over like puppetmasters by the west's intelligence agencies. "

1st thing - have you read those 5 non-fiction books (which you label as fantasy novels)? if No, at least, have you read a synopsis of those books? referencer to the 5 books are available in Wikipedia and amazon. have you read those at least???

Your 'star gate Conspiracy' does not show a bit on why the 5 books are "Fantasy Novels".

In fact, the star gate conspiracy, is a fringe offering and it is never ever backed by scientific principles or historic facts.

OMG Elizabeth Kostova. The Historian is one of my favorite books.

The movie rights for the Historian were sold to Sony, but it seems to be in development hell, unfortunately.

Her second book was great too - The Swan Thieves, which came out last fall.

Edited by archernyc

Thanks. I think I will pass...

And because I am almost about to start 'channeling' myself < burp > in a few minutes (I feel an old pirate song coming up), I don't want my precious info from the Beyond get tainted by what I might read in that book.

Edited by Abramelin

Hey kmt, great idea - however, there is an 81 page thread on this same topic in the "Other" forum/Movies, Music, Books and Television shows. I guess for the die-hards on this forum, it's better to have another thread here as they may never scroll down on the main forum listing page ;)

Like you, I am a big fan of the Douglas Preston/Licoln Childs books and love the Pendergast character! Very excited to hear that a new one is coming out in a few months. I got my son hooked on these books too and took him to see the movie version of The Relic which unfortunately was pretty awful.

I just finished The Land of Painted Caves by Jean Auel and the Hunger Games series (all three in two weeks!) and am now reading Madame Tussaud: A Novel by Michelle Moran. Since I have a Kindle, it's easy to read several books simultaneously, so I'm also checking in from time to time with Michael Pollan's book The Botany of Desire and Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I also have several cookbooks on my Kindle that I refer to frequently.

I went to a lecture by Michael Pollan a couple of weeks ago and found out that he is working on a book about cooking which I very much look forward to.

Other authors I like: Wilbur Smith (great adventure stories), Michael Crichton (you're right, a great loss to the literary world), Paulo Coelho, Steven Pressfield (wrote about Thermopylae and the Peloponnesian War among other things), Elizabeth Kostova, Anne Rice, Patricia Cornwell and Ken Follett (the cathedral series). I've been a voracious reader my whole life, so the Kindle can be dangerous as I can quickly spend way too much if I'm not careful. However, it is very nice, especially while traveling, to be able to carry multiple books very easily or to download something new without any trouble.

Hi, archernyc. I figured there was a thread like this in another forum, if not in several others, but I wanted to start one here for the reason you suggested: I wanted to get a sense of the reading preferences of those who post so often in the Ancient Mysteries & Alternative History forum. This is almost the only forum in which I tend to post (the Science and Space forum being a very occasional exception).

I'm very excited about the upcoming release of the new Preston and Child novel, Cold Vengeance. As unusual and unlikely a character as Agent Pendergast is, I can't get enough of him--especially when he and D'Agosta team up. I'm just about to reread Fever Dream, which I thought was particularly good. I'm a frequent visitor to the Preston and Child website, which often has great information and fun anecdotes.

You are to be commended for spreading the Preston and Child obsession to your son. It's the gift that keeps on giving. I'd like to do the same for my nephew, but he's not even quite two yet so I think the effect would be lost on him. Time will tell. I'm not too ashamed to admit that I rather liked the movie The Relic. It's how I was introduced to the Preston and Child books, so I owe that movie a lot. No, it was definitely not as good as the book by the same name (I mean, come on, Pendergast isn't even in the movie), but I guess I have a personal fondness for it. This is doubly so because I'm a docent at the Field Museum of Natural History, where the movie was filmed.

On a closing note, I see you're also a fan of Patricia Cornwell. I am as well, though I think my enjoyment of her Scarpetta novels has waned a wee bit through the years. LOL One can't help but notice the personal turmoil almost every main character has been suffering throughout the course of the last several novels, to the point that everyone is depressed and conflicted. I haven't read the latest Scarpetta novel yet but certainly will, sooner rather than later. Maybe they're all on Prozac now and are feeling better about life. Right? :rolleyes: