Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Loneliest Plant In The World

Bracket

One day in 1895, while walking through the Ngoya Forest in Zululand, southern Africa, a botanist with the oh so suitable name of John Medley Wood caught sight of a tree. It sat on a steep slope at the edge of the woods and looked different from the other trees, with its thick multiple trunks and what seemed like a splay of palm fronds on top.From a distance it looked almost like a palm tree, and Doctor Wood — who made his living collecting rare plants (he directed a botanical garden in Durban) had some of the stems pulled up, removed, and sent one of them to London.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monkipuzzle

• Bracket

• Habitat

• Verneph

This is the most depressing thing involving trees that I've ever read.

This is the most depressing thing involving trees that I've ever read.

...and of humans, also... :hmm:

I want to give it a hug...

Wow... that IS sad... it would be really awesome if they found a female.

That's so sad... I would marry that tree.

I feel so bad for it. Africa is a big place, though. It's not inconceivable that a female could still exist.

I want to build something out of it... even if I did a really crappy job (and I would), it would be worth lots of money! kidding...

Really good article..very sad for us to witness the last of a kind.Of course we are able to actually clone it and maybe hybridize it so it isn't lost to the world.Certainly the tree is blissfully unaware..but still

It's just a tree...

It's just a tree...

And without them, how far would humanity have got?

As far as God would allow us too...

Then why would God aloow stuff like this (not just trees but animals too) to happen? :huh:

"God" only allowed us to by creating the trees first to give us oxygen so we can, you know, breathe. Almost all religious texts (I don't know which ones you adhere to) say that God created everything, including plants and animals, before humans. I'm pretty sure if a God exists It cares a bit more about its creations than that. Show some respect for another form of life, especially one far older than any of us.

Edited by Verneph

Being this is the only tree of its kind left in the world, and it is a male tree and needs a female to fertilise....I think it's name is rather insulting....

E. woodii

Poor thing has had a woodii forever, and nothing to do with it......

I have heard that the reason only a single male plant was found in the wild what that this plant is possibly a natural hybrid with E. natalensis and another Encephalartos species not identified. If so it is possible that there never was a female plant. There is hope that the plant can be tissue cultured and mass produced, however the clones would all be male. But in a few rare cases some cycads have reversed sex under extreme stress and with enough tissue cultured material it would be worth the risk to try this method to create a female. Or perhaps chemical manipulation in vitro could accomplish the same thing. The biggest problem may be that this could be a multi-generational human project as these plants grow very slowly and bloom only at great age. As to why and save some odd plant found only in some remote corner of Africa, it is the same reason the world would be diminished if there were no more tigers, no more rhinos, no more whales. They may not be directly useful to you as an individual, but they are part of God's creation and are a wonder to behold. True these trees aren't cute and fuzzy, I have a few Encephalartos species and they are mean and spiny, but each species is unique and part of the whole that makes up our world. Also sometimes rare plants can be propagated and mass produced and become quite useful, like the Ginkgo biloba which was nearly extinct in the wild and found only in a few monasteries in China. It is now a much grown street tree in temperate cities all over the world, and has been found to have medicinal properties which would never have been known had it been allowed to go extinct.

For more info on cycads you can go to the Virtual Cycad Encyclopedia.

LOL. Araucaria is my favorite, actually. How'd ya know *kidding. God gave us the right to dominate over all other life. That's enough for me. The loss of one tree, which some think is the last of its kind, is not going to destroy us. Our sins will...

In the Sahara somewhere is a tree (Lebanese Cedar) which is the only plant for 300 miles, supposedly. It is an ancient tree which has managed to tap into a subterranean aquifer in the gorge in which it stands, the riverbed long since dried up nearby. That truly is a lonely tree, God knows how many centuries since a bird alighted in it's branches.