Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why I think people post Haunted Stories

Sakari

I think most of you are missing the whole point of shared experience: to gather information on a subject that you can test against whatever truth made you interested in the first place. Skepticism in the original sense is to withhold judgement, and never to accuse people of lying unless you can prove it. There is no defensiveness against the paranormal in true skepticism, only inquiry.

I like your point Mark, but I think also people forget that sometimes others come here just to meet people who have experienced something similar, not to be questioned about their health or their mental state or to be forced to prove something which has eluded scientists, philosophers and mathematicians for millennia. That was not the reason this forum was set up, but it has become a little like that over the years, as I said it's sad.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• Bracket

• Michelle

• chaoszerg

I like your point Mark, but I think also people forget that sometimes others come here just to meet people who have experienced something similar, not to be questioned about their health or their mental state or to be forced to prove something which has eluded scientists, philosophers and mathematicians for millennia. That was not the reason this forum was set up, but it has become a little like that over the years, as I said it's sad.

I'm new here but from what I have read the last few days it did make me wonder a lot of things. I joined because I am curious minded. I thought I was a skeptic, but if that requires belittling someone or being condescending to their feelings or beliefs, I guess I'm not. It's very easy to take the skeptical high ground in this topic and many others similar to it...You have empirical science fact on your side...and you will probably be right alot of the time. But it takes a wise person to be compassionate and empathetic, even if the other person is mentally ill or delusional...or even just a troll. That's my $0.02

A link for my fellow skeptics that you might enjoy... **Removed link**

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
1b. Recruitment: Do not recruit or invite members in to joining other sites, groups, services or forums.

I think this is a paranormal forum and if anyone doesn't believe in it they should get the **** out.

I think this is a paranormal forum and if anyone doesn't believe in it they should get the **** out.

Well, good thing the admin doesn't feel that way. :tu:

I think a review of UM rules is in order:

•5f. Balanced debate: Do not make posts forbidding opposing viewpoints, both sides of a debate should be represented.

Also, telling other to "get the *beep* out" is rather rude in and of itself. If you see others behaving in a manner that you feel is objectionable and violates the rules, report the post and let the moderators deal with it.

I think many come here to share some sort of unexplained experience they may have had. I am not saying what they had was a supernatural thing like they might perceive, but I think many have good intentions and come here to share what they have experienced.

I do think there are a lot of liars and yeah I said liars on here who spout crap for attention and just want people to go oo and ahhh at them. I do think there are some who have psychological issues also who come on, but many of us are not medically trained to diagnose such things so we can only assume they have some issue.

Luckily you are not the Admin.

And this (in my own opinion of course) is why many people use the closed response to a subject like this. How many times do we have to read posts that automatically attack another posters integrity? I'm sorry Paul but if you had of responded that way to a post I had made I would certainly struggle to respond with pleasantry's, again just an observation.

We shouldn't forget that once proof was presented for the existence of Big cats in the U.K. many many more people felt they could tell others about their experiences and sightings without being judged.

2% are telling the truth? and maybe 40% are too scared to speak up. But then again 72% of statistics are just made up.

It's a fair observation and a fair assessment. And really, that's the issue I'm talking about. The point is to have a discusssion. If someone came in to a conversation you were having about, for arguments sake, God being real, and said "I know what the truth is, but I'm not going to talk about it because everyone would just call me crazy." What discussion can be had about it? It's a statement that basically says that anyone who may have a different view point or questions the claim is automatically going to be ignored. The hostility is implied if not directly stated. So where does that leave people who have questions? Either agree with the poster and try to sneak in a question or two or just not ask, since the poster has already stated that people who question them are close minded and will just call them crazy?

Thanks for giving my belief and reasoning on this topic even more credibility.....( not that it needs any help )

If someone is lying, and wants attention, they will fight, back stab, throw people under the bus, get defensive, keep fighting, and threaten.They do this because they are not getting the attention the " lie " was intended to get, so they get p***ed off and upset....
Edited by Sakari

I do think yeah we can be very harsh at times when it comes to us being sceptical which I am sorry for and is bad on our part, but I do feel there are a lot of people who blatantly lie on this and it is obvious. Also I feel they get coddled and its frustrating. Questioning someone's sanity is not very pleasant but it is fair to ask if they have any mental illness or on any sort of mind altering medication. I took a long break from here because it just seemed to me that it was just becoming full of people making wild claims and telling blatant lies and stories and then them being coddled when anyone sceptical had there say, even if it was polite and none hostile sort of way.

I do think yeah we can be very harsh at times when it comes to us being sceptical which I am sorry for and is bad on our part, but I do feel there are a lot of people who blatantly lie on this and it is obvious. Also I feel they get coddled and its frustrating. Questioning someone's sanity is not very pleasant but it is fair to ask if they have any mental illness or on any sort of mind altering medication. I took a long break from here because it just seemed to me that it was just becoming full of people making wild claims and telling blatant lies and stories and then them being coddled when anyone sceptical had there say, even if it was polite and none hostile sort of way.

Why be sorry for posting your opinion?....Why feel bad for it? ( I said I am done with Haunting topics, I am just participating in this for now )...

It is not even all about lying ( read my letters again ).....

Saying you are sorry, or feel bad because someone did not like your opinion is nuts....So, do you just sugar coat everything?...That is what they want, they want attention, and by saying you are sorry, or feel bad is giving them exactly what they want....

Some people just can not handle the truth, or constructive criticism.

It is being a " enabler "......And I am done doing that.

Please do not be sorry for posting your opinion, and posting it honestly with no sugar coating.....Maybe you should follow suit and stay away from haunted topics also.Kind of like a non-drinker going to a AA meeting isn't it?...Or a skinny in shape person competing on the biggest loser.

:)

Edited by Sakari

Why be sorry for posting your opinion?....Why feel bad for it? ( I said I am done with Haunting topics, I am just participating in this for now )...

Saying you are sorry, or feel bad because someone did not like your opinion is nuts....So, do you just sugar coat everything?...That is what they want, they want attention, and by saying you are sorry, or feel bad is giving them exactly what they want....

Please do not be sorry for posting your opinion, and posting it honestly with no sugar coating.....Maybe you should follow suit and stay away from haunted topics also.Kind of like a non-drinker going to a AA meeting isn't it?...Or a skinny in shape person competing on the biggest loser.

:)

Lol dont get me wrong I am not sorry for my opinions, I am just sorry for how I express them. To be honest I could handle some things with more tact and express them in a less aggressive way, but sometimes I can be rude and harsh without any real reason to be and that's what I am sorry for, unless the person is being a ass and then I am not sorry for anything I say. Yeah I know it is not all about lying, but I do think MANY just come out with crap for the attention. The haunted section is not really what bothers me, its the psi section I try and stay away from as that is just a role playing area in my eyes.

( I said I am done with Haunting topics, I am just participating in this for now )...

You know, I've witnessed many threads where people are sincerely looking for advice and help. Now, I realize that it's impossible to tell if someone is truly sincere over the internet, but there is an obvious difference between someone who is legitimately concerned and someone who is just seeking attention.

That being said, I've also seen threads in which the OP is open to posts from skeptics and would even like help debunking some of the things. In that regard, I've seen posts from you that are very helpful to said people. I get that skeptics posting in some "haunting" threads is just feeding the frenzy and "enabling" the people wanting attention. But what about those who really do just want help and advice? Even if they're rare, they still deserve feedback. That's what this forum was originally for, and as long as they respect the skeptics opinion (and vice versa) then what's the problem?

You know, I've witnessed many threads where people are sincerely looking for advice and help. Now, I realize that it's impossible to tell if someone is truly sincere over the internet, but there is an obvious difference between someone who is legitimately concerned and someone who is just seeking attention.

That being said, I've also seen threads in which the OP is open to posts from skeptics and would even like help debunking some of the things. In that regard, I've seen posts from you that are very helpful to said people. I get that skeptics posting in some "haunting" threads is just feeding the frenzy and "enabling" the people wanting attention. But what about those who really do just want help and advice? Even if they're rare, they still deserve feedback. That's what this forum was originally for, and as long as they respect the skeptics opinion (and vice versa) then what's the problem?

I agree with you....Thing is, it is very rare.The most recent one ( that solidified how I feel ) I still get emails on.( emails from the claiment still trying to " convince me " after I said I am done with it, and to please stop emailing about this)...It had solid proof of VERY possible Psychological problems...Solid proof of lying, fabricating, and " calling the kettle black", it just goes on and on..After receiving email after email and just refusal after refusal of anything suggested, I threw in the towel......It's all good, I guess " they " are working a documentary that will be aired in the future that has " the truth"..I have the " evidence" that will be on the show ( not going to give it out, I keep my word ), and it is the worst I have seen.....Yet, when the feedback asked for was given, I just did not " get it "....My point, wasted so much time for a dead end, and gee....A documentary?....Hmmmm...Even all of the " skeptics" have bailed on this one, and post apologies, etc.....Yet the claiment opens up Blog after Blog, youtube videos, and anything else to keep the story going.....Again, wasted my time.I was trying to help someone whom only wanted attention, and maybe $$.....I was a " enabler ".

And after that thread, 3-4 more pop up almost identical, and as I said, it is the same thing over and over...Same " experiences", same suggestions, and the same denials...Then " orb " pics to " solidify " the proof......I am telling you, people do it for attention, and love the " call a Priest" replies....TV can be thanked for a lot of it, and topics like that.

As for me helping people in the past, and as for any future " legitimate " topics.....Who knows, I may read them, but I am just done with the non-sense......One topic right now has someone claiming they are open to anything, guess what the only thing they keep being more responsive to?

You got it....." Priests, Salt, and Bibles " ......Case closed.

Edited by Sakari

As for me helping people in the past, and as for any future " legitimate " topics.....Who knows, I may read them, but I am just done with the non-sense......One topic right now has someone claiming they are open to anything, guess what the only thing they keep being more responsive to?

You got it....." Priests, Salt, and Bibles " ......Case closed.

Yeah those types are frustrating and make the blood boil. More eager to resort to silly dramatic methods than a proper solution. Want to throw salt around their home, call a priest who is going to LOVE the dramatics and then they call in ghost hunters and so on.

In the end instead of doing something like getting a plumber to check their plumbing because of eerie creaking sounds coming from their pipes, instead they listen to the advice to go grab a spatula and go on a epic quest to vanquish a dragon and steal the magic salt it was guarding and then throw it around their home while chanting.

Yeah those types are frustrating and make the blood boil. More eager to resort to silly dramatic methods than a proper solution. Want to throw salt around their home, call a priest who is going to LOVE the dramatics and then they call in ghost hunters and so on.

In the end instead of doing something like getting a plumber to check their plumbing because of eerie creaking sounds coming from their pipes, instead they listen to the advice to go grab a spatula and go on a epic quest to vanquish a dragon and steal the magic salt it was guarding and then throw it around their home while chanting.

If you get real bored ( I sure the Hell will not do it ).....Find every topic claiming " Hauntings".....Then compile them and see how many of those people are still active members...See if any of them ever had " evidence", or even followed up on anything....Also, see how many actually said " Thank you, it was Carbon Monoxide", or anything like that...

If you do that, you will see just how much time people waste reading peoples blogs....Oops, I meant claims and topics.

Because we skeptics have caught people in lies based on what they have written. Flat out fabrication right here in these forums. I think that is the

point Sakari is trying to make. I gets harder and harder to help those truly in need because it gets harder and harder to even want to help anymore.

I have seen people post on this forum and before it goes any further, some begin to make fun of what the OP stated, so they are not giving them credibility to begin with, and it goes down hill from there. I have learned there are some outrageous claims that turned out to be authentic. Its fine to debunk, but without the insults. If you are a skeptic and do not believe then how credible are you to debunk anything? I still say if it appears to be a hoax or fake, just watch the thread and see where it goes. None of us have any idea of whats out there. If you are a skeptic (no offense btw) how would you help anyone, you would not believe them?? JMO

One thing that has always annoyed me is that i apparently caused alot of problems on another site because whenever someone would come on with claims of a haunting, i would ask "have you seen a doctor about this?" I would very quickly get pm's from the admin (i was a mod on the site) accusing me of calling that person crazy. I WAS JUST ASKING THE QUESTION TO GET IT OUT OF THE WAY!!! :angry:

I have seen people post on this forum and before it goes any further, some begin to make fun of what the OP stated, so they are not giving them credibility to begin with, and it goes down hill from there. I have learned there are some outrageous claims that turned out to be authentic. Its fine to debunk, but without the insults. If you are a skeptic and do not believe then how credible are you to debunk anything? I still say if it appears to be a hoax or fake, just watch the thread and see where it goes. None of us have any idea of whats out there. If you are a skeptic (no offense btw) how would you help anyone, you would not believe them?? JMO

You seem to be confusing skeptic with cynic.

A skeptic is someone who requires proof before believing a thing to be factual.

A cynic is someone who is distrustful of human nature.

It is possible to be both, but the terms are not interchangable.

As I said before, I am new. For nearly the last week, I have been reading over multiple threads in several different topics. As I am new and have not gotten really involved in any subject, maybe it gives me a more “general” point of view.

It’s sort of like modern politics, you have two diametrically opposed points of view and neither side is going to ever convince the other that they are wrong. It’s just not going to happen.

I’ve noticed there seems to be a few basic ways that people present their claims at “phenomena”.

There are those that basically say “I have experienced something and I don’t know what it is” and then there is “I saw a extraterrestrial ship, a demon is tormenting me, my house is haunted”, etc.

The first example is probably open minded and willing to accept multiple explanations for something they themselves did not understand or could not explain. The second type has already convinced themselves and is seeking validation…..choose your participation wisely.

And third…”They be trolls! Don’t feed the trolls!:no:

One thing that has always annoyed me is that i apparently caused alot of problems on another site because whenever someone would come on with claims of a haunting, i would ask "have you seen a doctor about this?" I would very quickly get pm's from the admin (i was a mod on the site) accusing me of calling that person crazy. I WAS JUST ASKING THE QUESTION TO GET IT OUT OF THE WAY!!! :angry:

I think because that question is not appropriate and it degrades the OP. It's actually an insult. Millions of Americans have hauntings, some residual, others intelligent, and then it goes to Poltergeist, negative and demonic. So the activity someone is going through could be on or more of these. I would say ask them the pertenent questions, smells, sounds, seeing orbs with naked eye, colors, history of house, their history prior to moving, etc instead of making them think most feel they are unstable. Hauntings are not fun, and anyone who comes to a forum looking for help and you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all. JMO

If you are a skeptic (no offense btw) how would you help anyone, you would not believe them?? JMO

This is not true.

Believing someone straight away is gullible and being sceptical can be a good thing. Its better to go through all the mundane and normal explanations before jumping right onto the WOW ITS A GHOST!!! bandwagon. Jumping on someone's ghost bandwagon just adds to there perception of what they think they may be encountering and if they are scared by it, it adds to their fear. Also we get people run in saying call a priest, use a ouija board, pray to so and so God and invoke Jesus name blah blah blah. In the end its harmful and just adds dramatics.

No one is helping by just believing them and jumping on their band wagon and stroking their ego.

I think because that question is not appropriate and it degrades the OP. It's actually an insult. Millions of Americans have hauntings, some residual, others intelligent, and then it goes to Poltergeist, negative and demonic. So the activity someone is going through could be on or more of these. I would say ask them the pertenent questions, smells, sounds, seeing orbs with naked eye, colors, history of house, their history prior to moving, etc instead of making them think most feel they are unstable. Hauntings are not fun, and anyone who comes to a forum looking for help and you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all. JMO

It's not a insult, its is a serious question that could probably be rephrased a bit better, but still a valid question. It's only taken as a insult by the other person because they do not want to think something is wrong with them, or have already convinced themselves that what they are experiencing is not something mundane but out of this world.

Edited by chaoszerg

One of your answers below....

You seem to be confusing skeptic with cynic.

A skeptic is someone who requires proof before believing a thing to be factual.

A cynic is someone who is distrustful of human nature.

It is possible to be both, but the terms are not interchangable.

Also ( to PrettyandDead), you are confusing this with a " skeptic -vs- believers" topic.....Maybe you should go back to the start and read my original post....That is not what this is about, and not what it should turn in to...

However, your reply ( as another one here so far ) does reflect exactly what I originally stated, and why I will not participate in those topics anymore......So, Thank You.

Edited to add :

I ask you again to please read the start of this topic....And please do not turn it into a entire different one...If you want to make a new topic, make one....This also reinforces EXACTLY what I started this for......I may have to leave this one also.

You are falling into this small part of what I stated :

If someone is telling the truth about any kind of claim they are making ( people with kids know this, and fisherman ) and have no evidence, they do not get all upset when people do not believe them.They just go on with life, and drop the subject, no trying to convince anyone.

If someone is lying, and wants attention, they will fight, back stab, throw people under the bus, get defensive, keep fighting, and threaten.They do this because they are not getting the attention the " lie " was intended to get, so they get p***ed off and upset....

Edited by Sakari

One of your answers below....

Also ( to PrettyandDead), you are confusing this with a " skeptic -vs- believers" topic.....Maybe you should go back to the start and read my original post....That is not what this is about, and not what it should turn in to...

However, your reply ( as another one here so far ) does reflect exactly what I originally stated, and why I will not participate in those topics anymore......So, Thank You.

Edited to add :

I ask you again to please read the start of this topic....And please do not turn it into a entire different one...If you want to make a new topic, make one....This also reinforces EXACTLY what I started this for......I may have to leave this one also.

I am replying to what some others said, plain and simple

I am replying to what some others said, plain and simple

You are also doing this :

And that is just one example of what and why I posted this......( not saying you are doing all of that, but most )

I'm out folks.....As I said, go back to the start, read everything I wrote.....I just did, and I did not follow it.......

I think you missed most of it, including this part :

Honest to God, the paranormal community is full of section eights and it's time for me to step back distance myself from these crack pots. People (sane people) are laughing at you and the real world is not taking this subject seriously. Fighting and back stabbing over what? ...a freaking ghost? If you want to be taken seriously ..then make friends and stop fighting!

If you're reading this and it's insulting? ...then you're the NUT and you need help!

Take Care all, keep beating a dead horse :)

Edited by Sakari

wow, I don't think asking about a doctor should be seen as a negative. If a person is having an issue, the root cause could indeed stem from a medical problem- and that includes mental as well as physical. It is pretty standard to ask about it when a person has a complaint of mental or physical symptoms. If nothing else, I don't think it hurts to ask if someone is ok, and have a doc make sure they are ok.

Just as normal is asking about the history of the house, both social and physical. There are lots of standard things out there that a lot of people just don't think about.

I think a person wanting to know what the eff is going on with whatever should indeed turn over all rocks- and this forum has an excellent array of every type of rock turners. It's good to rule out what it isn't as much as try to figure out what it is.