Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why I think people post Haunted Stories

Sakari

Kismit,

I think this is a fair question. When I see a poster ask for opinions what I try to do is based on what they are describing. I try to show that there is more often than not alternative explanations. I usually add in my post if all the known things, medical/mental conditions/illness, toxic home situations or investigating the events doesn't turn up a mundane answer/cause, then at least they have ruled out some of the things it isn't.

It's the same concern that you would have for any person who says they need help and/or don't understand what's going on.

Doing research for a thread a couple of years ago I came across horrifying reports of things done under the guise of help. The research I came across was collected by reputable newspaper accounts of cases where religion/faith was used to extreme conclusions. The cases involved children, teens and adults who were killed during rites of exorcism or where someone was told by their spiritual leader they or someone they were responsible for was oppressed/possessed by demons and in their zeal to drive out the demon killed them or themselves.It was one of the reasons I backed off the Ghost and haunting section there were too many people crying 'demon' and whipping people into a frenzy.

This is my opinion, but when what is supposed to uplift and enlighten is twisted and used by another individual to spread fear, dominate another person and attempt to take away another person's self-authority all because someone claims they know..... there just aren't words to describe how wrong that is. And people who do that, do it for what?

So maybe it isn't a responsibility but at least showing options and letting someone 'in trouble' see there is more than one answer. Then it is up to them to decide which is the correct one for them and I respect their decision. Because then, it's their choice.

Mabon.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• Bracket

• Michelle

• chaoszerg

Slightly off-center of the exact topic:

While providing "evidence" is admirable and good, people shouldn't think they are expected to bring some sort of irrefutable proof with them to present to some ephemeral council on UM to judge their haunting - that isn't the spirit of UM or paranormal investigation to begin with.

Now I myself have experienced little to no unexplainable stuff, but not for lack of "looking", so I'm of a more pragmatic mindset, and I do tend to post and ask for clarification on things when people post stories about their "hauntings", and suggest typical mundane alternatives (sleep paralysis, house settling, etc) for them to consider, and simple experiments (putting baby powder or carpet powder on stairs or hallway etc) - things that are simple and free or nearly free to do for someone that is ACTUALLY interested in learning if they have something unusual or they are likely misidentifying or misunderstanding something that is part of everyday non-paranormal life.

People that are interested in participating in or doing their own investigation of their own phenomenon with the help of other "experienced" anomalists are welcome to hold themselves to higher standards, but for people who are confused and scared, to have other members here demanding "proof" and records and footage and all this, is not any help to them; sadly, the flip side of that is that there ARE hoaxers and fakers and pranksters, and just flat out liars, and it makes usually helpful people very gun-shy about "believing", even for the sake of argument.

As silly as this may sound I honestly hadn't thought of this...thank you. Although I've got carpet in every stinkin' room in this yucky apartment...can I ask if there are any other ways as I'm not for sure the powder may work...and my vacuum broke so I'd have no way to clean it up. I really need a new vacuum. On the other hand, I have asked a friend who knows someone who does ghosthunting to inquire more about what I need to do get some of them and their equipment here. If there is anything out of the ordinary I would be more than willing to post here on UM.

I have a question.

a couple of times I have seen posters with a particular sceptic bent say things like. I feel it's my responsibilty or it's my job to debunk these things. I have been a member at U.M. for 10 years A moderator for about 6 years. I have seen my share of nut jobs and baseless lies, some of which don't last long enough for most people to see. I have seen some paranormal mysteries even solved and sorted in that time.

I apreciate people debunking scammers, but I do not apreciate what has at times appeared to be harrassment. (again not aiming this at anyone)

So I wonder for those of you who feel it is your responsibility, if you could tell me why you feel you must be responsible?

That is a really good question. I enjoy reading accounts or stories but I do not have the skills, or knowledge to debunk anything, because I am no expert. All I can do is make a few suggestions that I think might be helpful and they also get lots of opinions. So at the end of the day, at least they have enough information to make their decision as to what path they will take.

What facts from what studies? All I see in that link are conjecture/opinion/correlations/suggestions/theory/ etc.etc..

You said you like to be blunt. I'll be blunt: modern science is still in its infancy and cannot handle the paranormal, at all, because the paranormal originates from a realm beyond the reach of earthly science, or it would be normal.

The beauty of the paranormal is that it is scientifically impossible, and yet there it was and will continue to be.

The thing that i see though, is that this goes both ways. If it is not fact, or is scientifically explainable, there's no reason for you to be defensive about it. Because there is no evidence. If you're going to fight the fact that science can't explain it, it is your job to give evidence. Otherwise, nothing is added to the topic.

The thing that i see though, is that this goes both ways. If it is not fact, or is scientifically explainable, there's no reason for you to be defensive about it. Because there is no evidence. If you're going to fight the fact that science can't explain it, it is your job to give evidence. Otherwise, nothing is added to the topic.

I only defend the experience. There are no facts for or against the paranormal, just experience.

Even if someone is eventually found to be lying, the only thing that bothers me is the act of lying, not what was lied about. I actually enjoy the occasional elaborate hoax because either they made it up--good imagination--or they stole it from something that might be real. You have to weigh it against your own experience and time.

i stayed late at work so i could get up to speed on this thread, since the original topic is something i have also been noticing a lot and has started bugging me in much the same way. the combative aggressive nature of people defending their lie. i'm kind of surprised that so many longtime (and original) members of UM have taken an interest in this topic :tu:

i first came to this site in search of some kinda of possible answers for of some strange an unexplainable things that were happening in my home. did i find any answers, no :no:. did i stick around as a regular member, you betcha :yes:. are there still odd things happening at my home, unfortunately yes :hmm:. while i may not have figured out what is causing the things in my home, i have been able to constructively contribute to discussions (at least i hope that i have :alien:) and i've even made a few "friends" here as well.

where am i going with my 2 pennies......i'm not really sure. i think it is disheartening that people that come to UM who are genuinely looking for answers to unexplainable things, are outnumbered and overshadowed by the mass number of hoaxed photos and videos and fabricated stories. these fake stories and....and most importantly the aggressive nature that most of the hoax threads take from both sides, believers/skeptics....and the aggressive and defensiveness of the hoaxer (does that make it 3 sides?) are most tiresome. it makes it hard to even WANT to help someone find answers to what could be very simple problems in their own homes. had my original answer seeking thread been met with some of the venom i see here, i doubt i would've stuck around very long. :(

my 2 cents: can't we all just get along, and ignore the hoaxers. :wub:

And what about those who come in here with experiences of their own who can answer questions about something only to get attacked. Most people won't be defensive if the story stuck to the facts surrounding the person's experience and not some run around game of I'm going to prove you a liar and bring up things in a person's life from years ago that has NOTHING to do with the person's experience in the first place. And why is it that some people on this very site come here to call people liars and yet they are the ones who write FAKE articles about those same people?

You could take it even deeper and ask Why do so many people believe in God? Why do so many people believe in the Bible? Was someone really recording every word that God said? So do you think that everyone who believes in God and worships him every Sunday are all crazy or suffering from psychiatric issues? Have you seen God? Just because you have your belief that paranormal experiences are fake, doesn't mean that someone who has an experience is lying.

And what about those who come in here with experiences of their own who can answer questions about something only to get attacked. Most people won't be defensive if the story stuck to the facts surrounding the person's experience and not some run around game of I'm going to prove you a liar and bring up things in a person's life from years ago that has NOTHING to do with the person's experience in the first place. And why is it that some people on this very site come here to call people liars and yet they are the ones who write FAKE articles about those same people?

You could take it even deeper and ask Why do so many people believe in God? Why do so many people believe in the Bible? Was someone really recording every word that God said? So do you think that everyone who believes in God and worships him every Sunday are all crazy or suffering from psychiatric issues? Have you seen God? Just because you have your belief that paranormal experiences are fake, doesn't mean that someone who has an experience is lying.

whoa whoa whoa! i'm guessing that since you quoted me in one post and then posted your rant in the following post, that you are directing this chaos at me....

i dunno what personal experience you shared here at UM where you felt attacked or belittled (or if you even shared one at all), but unless you posted some hoaxy videos or pictures of dust "orbs", i doubt i attacked you personally or called you a liar. whether or not i believe there is a white bearded magician that lives in the clouds and controls all of our daily lives doesn't factor into the simple fact that there are a lot of people that come on this site and make up fake stories about "creepy stuff that happened to them".

if you've had strange experiences of your own, and can offer some sort of rational and scientific insight to it all, please interject! some of us are here looking for answers afterall.

whoa whoa whoa! i'm guessing that since you quoted me in one post and then posted your rant in the following post, that you are directing this chaos at me....

i dunno what personal experience you shared here at UM where you felt attacked or belittled (or if you even shared one at all), but unless you posted some hoaxy videos or pictures of dust "orbs", i doubt i attacked you personally or called you a liar. whether or not i believe there is a white bearded magician that lives in the clouds and controls all of our daily lives doesn't factor into the simple fact that there are a lot of people that come on this site and make up fake stories about "creepy stuff that happened to them".

if you've had strange experiences of your own, and can offer some sort of rational and scientific insight to it all, please interject! some of us are here looking for answers afterall.

No not you.. sorry, still new to this site.. :wacko:

But that's my point Grape, when there is no "rational" scientific explanation or medical for that matter, the next explanation some people on here have is that the person is just crazy, lying, or having some sort of psychological issue in their life that is the cause of it all. When in fact, the experiences didn't only happen to that person but to other members of the family as well. Some people expect you to believe their way of thinking and look at things in a scientific light but they themselves shut down to other possibilities other than scientific.

Some people just do it to prove they are right at something. Sometimes I can read the OP and right off the bat I don't believe it. Someone else will argue with that person for 25 pages and then declair that they got to the truth. They proved the person was wrong or lying. We would have all been duped if they hadn't been there to expose the lie.

Everybody's got to have a hobby I guess.

But that's my point Grape, when there is no "rational" scientific explanation or medical for that matter, the next explanation some people on here have is that the person is just crazy, lying, or having some sort of psychological issue in their life that is the cause of it all. When in fact, the experiences didn't only happen to that person but to other members of the family as well. Some people expect you to believe their way of thinking and look at things in a scientific light but they themselves shut down to other possibilities other than scientific.

My opinion on the matter is that since the person claiming that their house is haunted should also have an open mind that it is NOT haunting. There's a better chance that it isn't supernatural anyways. There are hundreds of possible explanations that it could be. All i'm saying is that if these people come here for help, what's the point of doing that if you're not going to believe what the people saying it could be just dreams. Because that, just as equally, could be the answer.

For some reason the last few weeks especially, mainly from one certain topic, I have really lost interest in any " claim " of Hauntings.( Demons, Ghosts, Poltergeist,etc.)....

I now know why.....

3% of people who post "claims" are actually asking for answers, and are confused, and do find answers.

2% have Psychological issues.

10% are just kids.

85% are fabricated, made up stories......I am now convinced of what I am saying.

Sakari lookin for some drama. :rolleyes: