Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why I think people post Haunted Stories

Sakari

Dude, he was p***ed at me earlier...Didn't you see that? :whistle:

Haha. He can't kick you off just for p***ing him off.... Technically. :rolleyes:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakari

• Bracket

• Michelle

• chaoszerg

Sucking up isn't going to get you anywhere. ;)

I did remind people that a big part is the fighting ( among other things ) when people question things, and that is exactly what started to happen here.And that sucks if you ask me, it is showing why I said I am disgusted by it is true, on a entire different thread...It needs to stop if you ask me, although that is near impossible.

This topic isn't about someone's paranormal story though, its a debate about the nature of such postings in general and therefore isn't really an example of the same thing. Truth be told any discussion about any topic in any situation can become heated, even between people talking in person - its just the way things are.

Wow. I thought I’d see if anyone noticed my little advice post earlier and there has been like 4 pages added to the topic!

In a way, the simplest point is being overlooked and really has a simple solution.

Be friendly first. Ask about how long they have lived in the residence. Why? Because sometimes moving causes stress and anxiety, especially if they are younger and going to attend a new school...nightmares/terrors?

How old is the house? Newer homes and building are probably still settling and can make weird noises and create “bumps” in the night

Are there power lines? High voltage power lines overhead or nearby can generate EMF’s and that can possibly cause a slight paranoia.

Underground water can also cause some weird but normal effects.

Get them comfortable and talking before you pop the “Are you crazy or just stupid? Go see a shrink!" attitude.

Now sure, I have read some threads lately where there was obviously an emotional/health issue involved. There was one thread a few pages back about being held down, abused and sexually assaulted…that sends the alarms off for sure…but that is not what most people experience. Most people are like “I feel a presence”…(see the EMF explanation above).

If someone pops on here and exclaims “I have a demon and it beats me and rapes my babies”…yeah…you might wanna contact the authorities on their behalf.

I have read others that, really…within a post or two I could tell they were bluffing…there may be some amateur fiction writers messing around out there and are good at fleecing, but most trolls reveal themselves pretty quick…be patient and just be polite…if they don’t get a knee jerk reaction, the fakers will lose interest.

Maybe the one guy was right. Pin a thread that states a questionnaire that people need to answer for themselves before they post…inform them they will be quizzed on it later…

Eliminate the natural first, suggest the medical second and then maybe offer the “other” later. Funny thing is, no one is really qualified to respond to the “other” anyway except to maybe offer some anecdotal advice…wait isn’t anecdotal condemned? :devil:

People will start feeling a little more comfortable and less afraid to participate and you'll end up having more to talk about. The activity has dropped off so much, I’m choosing to take a leave of absence because I have ran out of good reading material! :(

Good luck folks, you’ll work it out.

Damrod, I thought your last post was a good idea.

TheBigK ....

As to not make myself look like to much of a ass, I will try to explain further why this has gotten to me.I am the kind of person that does actually enjoy helping people, sincere people that really want help.( if I can )

If someone wants help, that person needs to actually " try " the things suggested, including " normal " things.

I actually spend a lot of time trying to do this with people that ask me to, and not just here, on the phone, emails, and yes, I even contact people in their area if they want me to.I go beyond just posting my opinions.Lately, this has taken a lot of time on my end, and a few times now, it has resulted in finding that these people did not truly want help, not in the way I thought.They wanted help in ways that benefited them, and / or refused real help when I went out of my way to find it....That is where I am now, and just feel more often then not anymore, people are just trying to " out due " the previous story....Not sure how much you have read here ( and I am not patting myself on the back ), I have had a few threads, one in particular where someone was using their story to make a profit on a scam.I was offered over $2500.00 from this person to " go along with it ", so they could make more money having " the biggest skeptic on UM " supporting the claims...Now, I do enjoy getting dirt bags like this caught, but I also saw the other side.I had people really p***ed off at me for being skeptical on that topic, and even when said and done, not one of them said " Hey, thanks for doing this, good job".....

Now, here is the kind of topic I LOVE to help out in, and a honest sincere person.....I wish there were a way to " weed " out these stories, problem is, when we try to, we get bashed and called names, even if being sincere and polite....And that is what I am really tired of...

Please read through this one, you will get my point...I spent a lot of time on the phone with this very nice woman....

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197045&st=0

I remember glancing at that thread. So, I have noticed that you enjoy helping people and are good at doing so when they're open to the idea. I think that's great, honestly. I was just giving my two cents on the subject. I know it can be really frustrating when most stories are fabricated or people aren't at least open to other explanations.

Wow. I thought I'd see if anyone noticed my little advice post earlier and there has been like 4 pages added to the topic!

In a way, the simplest point is being overlooked and really has a simple solution.

Be friendly first. Ask about how long they have lived in the residence. Why? Because sometimes moving causes stress and anxiety, especially if they are younger and going to attend a new school...nightmares/terrors?

How old is the house? Newer homes and building are probably still settling and can make weird noises and create "bumps" in the night

Are there power lines? High voltage power lines overhead or nearby can generate EMF's and that can possibly cause a slight paranoia.

Underground water can also cause some weird but normal effects.

Get them comfortable and talking before you pop the "Are you crazy or just stupid? Go see a shrink!" attitude.

Now sure, I have read some threads lately where there was obviously an emotional/health issue involved. There was one thread a few pages back about being held down, abused and sexually assaulted…that sends the alarms off for sure…but that is not what most people experience. Most people are like "I feel a presence"…(see the EMF explanation above).

If someone pops on here and exclaims "I have a demon and it beats me and rapes my babies"…yeah…you might wanna contact the authorities on their behalf.

I have read others that, really…within a post or two I could tell they were bluffing…there may be some amateur fiction writers messing around out there and are good at fleecing, but most trolls reveal themselves pretty quick…be patient and just be polite…if they don't get a knee jerk reaction, the fakers will lose interest.

Maybe the one guy was right. Pin a thread that states a questionnaire that people need to answer for themselves before they post…inform them they will be quizzed on it later…

Eliminate the natural first, suggest the medical second and then maybe offer the "other" later. Funny thing is, no one is really qualified to respond to the "other" anyway except to maybe offer some anecdotal advice…wait isn't anecdotal condemned? :devil:

People will start feeling a little more comfortable and less afraid to participate and you'll end up having more to talk about. The activity has dropped off so much, I'm choosing to take a leave of absence because I have ran out of good reading material! :(

Good luck folks, you'll work it out.

Well, not sure how far that can go for me, actually it can not.As for the others, not sure either.

I all ways did approach topics this way...

The entire reason I posted this topic was just " My " reason as to why I will not participate on Haunted topics anymore, and really to boil it down, I feel ( if you go by my stat's ) 95% of them are fabricated, made up, attention seeking claims.....As for the remaining 5 %, break it up to people with Psychotic issues of some kind, or medical, and to people that need a Plumber.

To wade through all of the " crap " to get to a few good topics where people actually listen to advice is not worth it anymore for me.

Even if using your advice, it will not work for 95% of the topics I have seen, and am seeing now.You may get someone to play along for a while, still not filled up with those pat on the backs, and attention, they will keep stringing you on, feeding on the attention....Notice as I said, they focus more on the " Yes, a Priest, I called him back, and I will try burning sage now", but when it comes to the natural advice, it is ignored, maneuvered around, or simply said " oh, it can't be that, I am a light sleeper, and I know I was awake "......Yup, those kind.

So, no matter how much " advice " I am given, I refuse to get sucked into those again.Will I read them, you betcha, and I will be laughing the entire time.I will also be spending less time there, and reading more on topics I have not really looked to close at, Natural World, etc.I might actually learn about things that do exist....

Well, not sure how far that can go for me, actually it can not.As for the others, not sure either.

I all ways did approach topics this way...

The entire reason I posted this topic was just " My " reason as to why I will not participate on Haunted topics anymore, and really to boil it down, I feel ( if you go by my stat's ) 95% of them are fabricated, made up, attention seeking claims.....As for the remaining 5 %, break it up to people with Psychotic issues of some kind, or medical, and to people that need a Plumber.

To wade through all of the " crap " to get to a few good topics where people actually listen to advice is not worth it anymore for me.

Even if using your advice, it will not work for 95% of the topics I have seen, and am seeing now.You may get someone to play along for a while, still not filled up with those pat on the backs, and attention, they will keep stringing you on, feeding on the attention....Notice as I said, they focus more on the " Yes, a Priest, I called him back, and I will try burning sage now", but when it comes to the natural advice, it is ignored, maneuvered around, or simply said " oh, it can't be that, I am a light sleeper, and I know I was awake "......Yup, those kind.

So, no matter how much " advice " I am given, I refuse to get sucked into those again.Will I read them, you betcha, and I will be laughing the entire time.I will also be spending less time there, and reading more on topics I have not really looked to close at, Natural World, etc.I might actually learn about things that do exist....

I totally understand your point of view. As I said on my first post or so after joining, I didn't come to really help anyone, or argue or condescend on what anyone chooses to believe...I came to read and be curious. I only participated in this paranormal topic because it really wasn't about a specific phenomena, it was about the topic in general...and it is a good discussion.

I totally understand your point of view. As I said on my first post or so after joining, I didn't come to really help anyone, or argue or condescend on what anyone chooses to believe...I came to read and be curious. I only participated in this paranormal topic because it really wasn't about a specific phenomena, it was about the topic in general...and it is a good discussion.

It is a good discussion, I was not expecting it to be.

Thank You. :tu:

You know my whole point was and many other peoples in this thread too was getting at the BIG difference between well mannered discussion and suggestions over rude, flippant or hostile discussion/suggestions.

There is a big difference i something is communicated. At the end of the day it's communicating effectively and for a sorry few they seem to chose to be what is described as nothing but online bullies.n how

Exactly!

Exactly how, or from where, did you arrive at those particular statistics? I'd really like to be able to check on exactly how this percentage break down was arrived at.

And for you also Michelle, please read below...edited this in after seeing your reply.

I think Saru, and many others, have expressed the way I feel very well. If they can't make you understand I certainly can't.

Exactly how, or from where, did you arrive at those particular statistics? I'd really like to be able to check on exactly how this percentage break down was arrived at.

Asked and answered, and agreed with :)

I answered this a few posts back....From a little over 20 topics I have bookmarked, and all from my own head....The statistics are my opinion as I pointed out....And I stand by them until further evidence shows me wrong :)

As the title says " Why I think people post Haunted stories"

Edited by Sakari

Actually Sakari..I agree with you.

I have learned to take every story with a grain, no..a boulder, of salt.

Especially when the account is poorly written and there is an air of hysterics behind it.

I think 99.99% of all sightings are caused by hysterics, seeing what they want to see or simply having a poor understanding of basic, everyday physics.

However the "paranormal" community has been saturated with so many deliberate hoaxes and fraudulent claims that one becomes jaded and soured to any possibility of the so-called paranormal.

It gets to the point that one is not even willing to be "open" to even the slightest possibility because of all the lies, pranks, frauds and so forth.

Ryu, I meant to answer this...

Your topic on your story really did do a lot for me, so again, Thank You ! ( I am looking for it ) This one ! http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=205325&st=0&p=3886623&fromsearch=1entry3886623

Because we skeptics have caught people in lies based on what they have written. Flat out fabrication right here in these forums. I think that is the

point Sakari is trying to make. I gets harder and harder to help those truly in need because it gets harder and harder to even want to help anymore.

Never answered yours either...

You summed it up perfectly...TY

Edited by Sakari

No offense, but talking in circles I am not good at, and why are you having other people talk for you?...I would rather here things out of the horses mouth, but hey, so be it...

And I am not sure Saru flat out said anything straight at me ( but to the quote I used ), so I am confused on your post.

No offense, but I'm not talking in circles and I give up trying to get through your thick scull.

Michelle, I am going to find out how to put you on ignore after this reply, I suggest you do the same for me..You said yourself you hate the fighting, yet post replies like above...I will now take the higher ground, good-bye and have fun.

Edited to add : done deal, and it works, no need to reply, I will not be able to see it.

Edited by Sakari

Michelle, I am going to find out how to put you on ignore after this reply, I suggest you do the same for me..You said yourself you hate the fighting, yet post replies like above...I will now take the higher ground, good-bye and have fun.

Edited to add : done deal, and it works, no need to reply, I will not be able to see it.

Aww...I can't get frustrated like you did when you started this topic. :cry:

Asked and answered, and agreed with :)

I answered this a few posts back....From a little over 20 topics I have bookmarked, and all from my own head....The statistics are my opinion as I pointed out....And I stand by them until further evidence shows me wrong :)

As the title says " Why I think people post Haunted stories"

Wait a minute...statistics cannot be opinion.

92.05% have been sincere, imo.

Wait a minute...statistics cannot be opinion.

92.05% have been sincere, imo.

what if they are statistics to my opinion?

The whole thing fails at the basics in my opinion. If someone asks for help, then that person should get helpful advice (assuming the story isn't fake of course). Now, I don't know if it's been said here already but since it's late and I'm tired I've only read the first page of this topic. If you take a look at the threads where people claim to be experiencing something, you'll see all kinds of replies. I think it's obvious that since this is the internet and we're dealing with situations where all we have is a story, we should start with the ordinary stuff instead of going straight to the "Ah that's a demon coming for ya". Even if every paranormal story in the world was true, there's no reason for anyone to say that hearing footsteps at night couldn't be anything but a haunting, while everyone knows (at least I assume we all live in the same planet) that there are many mundane explanations that should be ruled out first. What I see is people jumping straight to the craziest conclusions, in some cases even saying that their life is made up of so many paranormal experiences that they seem to live in a fantasy world...I don't know if it's true or not, but my opinion is not the issue here. Why do people come in here with fake stories? Because of that sort of reaction, no one would enjoy making up stories if they best they could do was to have someone to carefully look at the story and point out all the possibilities and inconsistencies.

I'm not saying we should all be skeptics but if we keep going like this we'll be overwhelmed by fake stories made up by kids who have nothing better to do with their time.

what if they are statistics to my opinion?

They can support your opinion, but they can't be your opinion because the would demonstrate a fact.

To me, it sounds like each person is making rules. "dont ask this, dont say that" and I get that. IMO it boils down to respect for everyone whether you believe they are lying or not. If they appear to be young and scared, why make it worse, just do the right thing, its not rocket science. Before we tell someone there is a rational explanation ask a few questions, not 100 questions just enough to gather some info. Also if a poster mentions that others have heard or seen something paranormal, there is no need to ask them if they had their eyes or ears examined. I have watched this forum and many others over the years for research and have been through a haunting that lasted years. This site has some of the rudest members I have seen yet. There is no reason to get nasty, or offensive, and if a thread makes you angry or think its fake, move on. I also believe belittling someone because they don't have evidence available, is not cool. I dont believe anyone can diagnose a haunting on a public forum and what the OP sees in a photo, we may not..

... What I see is people jumping straight to the craziest conclusions, in some cases even saying that their life is made up of so many paranormal experiences that they seem to live in a fantasy world...

That's interesting...connect the dots between paranormal experiences and you get a story/fantasy.

The whole thing fails at the basics in my opinion. If someone asks for help, then that person should get helpful advice (assuming the story isn't fake of course). Now, I don't know if it's been said here already but since it's late and I'm tired I've only read the first page of this topic. If you take a look at the threads where people claim to be experiencing something, you'll see all kinds of replies. I think it's obvious that since this is the internet and we're dealing with situations where all we have is a story, we should start with the ordinary stuff instead of going straight to the "Ah that's a demon coming for ya". Even if every paranormal story in the world was true, there's no reason for anyone to say that hearing footsteps at night couldn't be anything but a haunting, while everyone knows (at least I assume we all live in the same planet) that there are many mundane explanations that should be ruled out first. What I see is people jumping straight to the craziest conclusions, in some cases even saying that their life is made up of so many paranormal experiences that they seem to live in a fantasy world...I don't know if it's true or not, but my opinion is not the issue here. Why do people come in here with fake stories? Because of that sort of reaction, no one would enjoy making up stories if they best they could do was to have someone to carefully look at the story and point out all the possibilities and inconsistencies.

I'm not saying we should all be skeptics but if we keep going like this we'll be overwhelmed by fake stories made up by kids who have nothing better to do with their time.

This is where it is a double edged sword I am going to stay away from.....

Mod's can not tell if a claim is fake when it is posted, and when " skeptics" or " believers " that do question things start to ask questions, they get deemed as " attacking" or " cyber bullies"....( by some members)

Then you have the different scenarios of claiments I mentioned.It is rare, and nice to have some that actually do find answers, and are open to the explanations.....Thing is, this is a " paranormal " site, and a lot of people think that means it should only be open to the belief that everything posted is " paranormal "...

It get's even harder when some topics start getting heavily debated, and facts are found that show " holes " in the " haunted " theory, and because of whatever kind of issues, the topic has to be shut down or locked.This to me is sad, although I can respect the decision of the mod's and owner, and we are not in the know of everything behind the scenes towards those decisions.

There really is no answer if you ask me to this issue that is raised, so for a number of reasons, I find it easier to just stay away from it all together.( Haunted Demon stuff ).

Sometimes it is like trying to get a alcoholic to stop drinking, they have to want to stop, you can not force them....If someone wants to believe in one thing only, you can not change that belief..

There has been a great deal of research regarding traits that correlate with belief in the paranormal. People who have such beliefs are more likely to attribute life outcomes to things out of their control (Adams & Shea, 1979). For example, such a person would say that they don't have enough money because their electric bill was more than usual due to a harsh winter. They might not attribute their lack of funds to the new computer they chose to purchase. One researcher suggests that belief in the paranormal may support individuals in satisfying their need to understand life events and to give them a sense of control over the world (Irwin 1992).

People who have a high need for affiliation with others, and those who report lower levels of self-esteem are more likely to be believers in paranormal phenomena (Adams & Shea, 1979; Tobacyk et al, 1984; Tabacyk & Milford, 1983; Killen et al, 1974). In addition, research indicates that lower scores on tests of intelligence correspond with a greater likelihood of belief in the paranormal (Smith et al, 1998).

There are a variety of other personal characteristics that correlate with belief in the paranormal. There is a positive correlation between creativity, sensation seeking, and belief in the paranormal (Davis et al, 1974). Fantasy proneness is also a factor that influences the likelihood of labeling events as supernatural (Irwin, 1991). Psychopathology has been linked to paranormal belief; individuals with psychiatric diagnoses are more likely to believe in paranormal events (Thalbourne, 1998; Jackson, 1997). Psychological profiles of those who have experienced paranormal phenomena in a location should be a part of the documentation and report from any haunted location. It would be irresponsible to not include this information, or at least make note of its absence.

The emotional state of an individual can also be an indicator of their propensity to believe in the supernatural. An increase in paranormal belief is linked to negative emotional states (Dudley, 1999). When in such a state, our ability to think critically and process information declines (MacLeod & Mathews, 1991). It is possible that working memory overload is responsible, at least in part, for this (MacLeod & Donnellan, 1993). There is a relationship between working memory capacity and problem solving (Kreiner, 1995). Therefore, when we are in a negative emotional state, it is more likely that we will not think critically. Since the absence of critical thought is linked to labeling events as paranormal, it follows that a negative emotional state could lead to a greater likelihood that we will think we are experiencing something that is supernatural, or to an increased willingness to accept claims of the paranormal (Dudley, 1999). One example of this could be the large number of people who experience grief apparitions, or apparitions of someone in their life who recently passed away. Those people are typically in a negative emotional state, and therefore more likely to label an event as paranormal. Their judgment has been impaired by the strain placed upon their working memory. While it is possible that they have experienced something paranormal, their emotional state at the time lessens that possibility and should be noted in an investigative report.

http://knol.google.c...-and-hauntings#

Sorry that was so long, the link is a lot longer, although it has a ton of information....factual information from studies....And watch, it will be ridiculed by belief alone.

Edited by Sakari

if a thread makes you angry or think its fake, move on.

This does bother me...

I was involved with a thread that floored me.. " bizarre moving statue"....

If I had " moved on " it is almost a guarantee a person making the claim would have made a lot of money selling this item that had paranormal activity with it....I chose to ask questions, and debunk as much as I could.Long story short, this person was using UM and it's members to get this item he made sold at the highest price possible...I turned him in to ebay and to Saru, both took care of him right away with the facts I gathered...

So, do you still say moving on is the way to go?

This is one example of a few where I have helped people by being a " skeptic "...

The emotional state of an individual can also be an indicator of their propensity to believe in the supernatural. An increase in paranormal belief is linked to negative emotional states (Dudley, 1999). When in such a state, our ability to think critically and process information declines (MacLeod & Mathews, 1991).

That's just wrong. The emotional state is a symptom regardless of belief. I would think that torment would be linked to negative emotional states, not necessarily nirvana (paranormal). In these states critical thinking can be heightened to such a degree that people actually figure out what is going on.