Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Topic to Be Bookmarked and Used Forever

Sakari

Please bookmark this, and use it for every Ghost Hunting, or Haunting question :

Top 5 Ghost Hunting Mistakes

Science and Pseudoscience

in Ghost Hunting

Why it’s a mistake: Paranormal investigation requires no certificate; anyone can do it with no

training, knowledge, or expertise whatsoever (though of course there are people who will try to sell

you a “ghost hunter” certification). Whether they are effective or not—actually solve any mysteries—

is another matter entirely.

Despite their name, ghost investigators do not investigate ghosts; rather, they investigate various

phenomena that might (or might not) be related to a ghost. Effectively investigating claims and solving

mysteries, on the other hand, does require some experience and expertise—specifically in logic, critical

thinking, psychology, science, forensics, and other areas. And there certainly are experts on that subject,

people who have researched and investigated phenomena claimed to be evidence for ghosts. I’m

one of them, and I can name a handful of others.

http://www.radfordbooks.com/top5mistakes.pdf

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wookietim

• rashore

• voidla

• Blues Girl

skeptics take all the fun outa life =P

a good post though sakari as someone who did some ghost hunting in the past all i can say is its a blast. but indeed the media exploits ghost hunting and the ghost hunters need their ratings. as far as equipment i never did understand all the technical gear we always just went with a couple of cameras and flashlights.

your right about the ghost hunting certificates. at one time they were selling them on ebay. :blink:

forget facts. And then your mind may open.

What is man that you make so much of him, that you give him so much attention, that you examine him every morning and test him every moment? Will you never look away from me, or let me alone even for an instant? (Job 7:17–19)
Edited by Peter Venkman

• 1 month later...

your right about the ghost hunting certificates. at one time they were selling them on ebay. :blink:

It's ridiculous what people will buy

I'm not sure if he was joking... there seriously are folks out there that offer ghost hunting certs... silly but true.

Great article Sakari!

Personally, I do think there's spooky out there. But I do disagree with quite a bit of current ghost hunting action. Makes it really effing hard to find folks locally to hunt with.

I've had the opportunity to have access to a lot of research and a lot of daytime observation of a haunt that has had a whole boatload of investigations. It's a popular one that sees a lot of damage due to it's reputation. Oddly, theres been a lot of night time stuff though the place is illegal after sunset. Sometimes I wonder if those investigators spent one minute of daylight in the area. Spooky night time EVP's are certainly explainable in the day, as are temp fluctuations, and several of the visual ghost reports. EMFs? Crap, there's phone towers and power lines all around. So I had to laugh in agreement with point 4.

I did have to disagree a bit about using equipment. Over time, some equipment has proven to be useful to apply even though it came from somewhere else rather than being created to apply to that particular situation in science. Stuff like EMF and temp sweeps can help point out mundane issues. Heck, I'd be happy with a group that wanted to use a tesla ball if I could find one willing to use it every time as well as taking multiple control sessions for comparison. Or use EMF detectors if they used them every time, ect ect.. Point is, most groups wing it and use equipment inconsistently.

I'm not sure if he was joking... there seriously are folks out there that offer ghost hunting certs... silly but true.

I don't know about you but I am firing up the trusty old printer, heading over to Ebay and planning how to spend the extra cash...

Maybe I should get me a ghost hunting certificate. I have seen a ghost and that would make me a legitimate ghost hunter.

I wonder if Scooby and the Gang had certificates.

You know in the old school days they never found real ghosts.