Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the giant squid the new giant panda?

Still Waters

Can a 13-metre long beastie, all tentacles and suckers, be a conservation icon for our time?

Scientists are proposing that the giant squid Architeuthis be emblemised and celebrated to help promote the conservation of marine diversity.

The giant squid would become the giant panda of the seas; a single species that captures the imagination, and stands for the world in which it lives.

It would become a rallying point for those seeking to protect life under the waves, the fish and the whales, the corals and crustaceans, an abundance of marine invertebrates and creatures we perhaps have yet to discover.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Verneph

• Setton

• Taut

• WeaselsRippedMyFlesh

I thought the reasons Pandas were chosen to be a conservation icon were:

1. They're endangered.

2. They're cuddly.

Not everyone likes squid. Some people are creeped out by them, so I believe. I mean, I wouldn't mind the squid personally, but wouldn't a species like the Bottlenose Dolphin or the Orca Whale work better to gain support from the masses?

I thought the reasons Pandas were chosen to be a conservation icon were:

1. They're endangered.

2. They're cuddly.

Not everyone likes squid. Some people are creeped out by them, so I believe. I mean, I wouldn't mind the squid personally, but wouldn't a species like the Bottlenose Dolphin or the Orca Whale work better to gain support from the masses?

Some people don't like Orcas either (hence the name killer whale :rolleyes: ). I even know someone who doesn't like dolphins.

I even know someone who doesn't like dolphins.

Do we have to like them?

Some people don't like Orcas either (hence the name killer whale :rolleyes: ). I even know someone who doesn't like dolphins.

And some people don't like Pandas. My point was that, from a majority standpoint, I think more people would be subconsciously inclined to want to save the "adorable, free-spirited" Dolphins than a Giant Squid, which many people would deem "ugly".

I'm not saying I don't like the squid, I'm just saying there may be better candidates for the conservation mascot position that would gain more support.

Dolphins are notorious for being one of the only other species that kills and rapes for fun. They're not the clowns of the sea, more like the Mongol Hordes of the sea.

Dolphins are notorious for being one of the only other species that kills and rapes for fun. They're not the clowns of the sea, more like the Mongol Hordes of the sea.

That fact is only known to people like you and me. I'm talking about gaining the support of people who go to Sea World every summer to see Flipper jump through a damned hoop.

Besides, the dolphins were just an example. My point is that if they're looking for an icon that will gain support for ocean conservation, a squid may not be the best choice as many people see them as "ugly". What about Manta rays? Clown fish (look Mom, it's Nemo!)? Blue whales? Something that hasn't been featured as a horror movie monster.

Poor choice for a "mascot": they are rarely seen and almost never seen alive, they lack the cute and cuddly factor and squid (if not giant ones) are eaten as calamari and are considered a resource the same as any food fish. Giant squid also have a bad, if undeserved reputation, while they rarely interact with humans, they are the stuff of myth and legend and considered by many a true sea monster. The sea is in many ways an alien environment with creatures alien to most people, so perhaps a better mascot would be something that shares our land based existence. Perhaps the Hawaiian Monk Seal would be a good choice, cute, rare, and amphibious hauling out on land to raise pups and bask.

If it was up to me, I'd probably choose a Great White Shark or a maybe even a Jelly Fish. But I'm okay with the Giant Squid. There's a sort of dynamic quality to them.

Do we have to like them?

No but they were suggested as a better mascot because people like them more than squid. I was pointing out that there are people who dislike every animal.

I think a seal would be a good idea though. Maybe a seal pup. No-one can look at those and feel angry :)

someone will turn this into an internet fad and make it sneeze or something. Imagine: The dramatic head turning Squid. DUM DA DUNNNNN!!!!

When is a squid not a squid? When it's a Panda. Good Lord. Who chooses these icons and surrogates and spins?

this would be one crazy pet

It's arguable.

People like Dolphins more than Giant Squids. They're cute.

Dolphins aren't really uncommonly malicious. It's just that the bad things they do become more noticeable in contrast to the popular idea of them.

Why not Spongebob for that matter. All kids love that Spongebob. In all seriousness I think the giant squid is a great mascot because it is something you don't see everyday. Heck they just proved it exists not too long ago.

I think having the giant squid or architusis is a wonderful thing!! Just like the giant panda they are believed to almost be extinct and brings to life the real mysteries of the deep.

I think having the giant squid or architusis is a wonderful thing!! Just like the giant panda they are believed to almost be extinct and brings to life the real mysteries of the deep.

Agreed; Architeuthis (and Mesonychoteuthis) are like, the incarnation of everything's thats mysterious, spectacular and "alien" about the ocean's depths.

Unfortunately, as many already said, squids lack the cuteness to be posterboys. It's like, if you made a movie and wanted teenage girls to go see it, you wouldn´t use Jack Nicholson's face in the poster. Jack Nicholson is creepy. He is awesome, but creepy.

Same with squids, I'm afraid.

It can be really frustrating for wildlife crusaders tho; I remember I tried to campaign to get legal protection for bats in the filthy little town where I live. I tried to convince everyone of how useful, cool and even cute bats really were.

People thought I was crazy, and bats still don´t have legal protection in the filthy little town. :S I guess you have to be almost TOO cute to be a conservation posterboy, hence your pandas...