Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great Pyramid air shafts inquiry

bonneville

Having a wonderful time reading the multitude of theories and research on this site.Have I missed something- I cant find any theories or explanations on how the so called airshafts were made in the Great Pyramid. Were they worked into the architecture during sonstruction or bored in at a later date? All replies welcome, whether based on "fact" or fancy :devil:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SHaYap

• cladking

• questionmark

• Oniomancer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having a wonderful time reading the multitude of theories and research on this site.Have I missed something- I cant find any theories or explanations on how the so called airshafts were made in the Great Pyramid. Were they worked into the architecture during sonstruction or bored in at a later date? All replies welcome, whether based on "fact" or fancy :devil:

They were inbuilt during construction.

Welcome bonneville, Apparently they were carved in sections and installed during construction.

post-86645-0-57884000-1305549627_thumb.j (click to enlarge)

Yes, as stated this post, they were built during construction. This explains how the stone 'plugs' or 'doorways' (as they were called due to the mysterious copper handles) were added. It would be impossible to retrospectively add those into the masonry of the structure.

Also, the shafts aren't in straight lines (they kink), meaning not only could they not have been bored in after the pyramid was completed, but they are also very hard to traverse even with modern technology (hence why we still don't know where some culminate-though conspiracy theorists would tell you otherwise!).

http://www.cheops.org/

This site is a little difficult to use, especially the first time but

it is superb and contains just about everything known about these shafts.

Check out the "bends 3D" for some great depictions of the chambers, too.

I don't think those shafts should be termed as "air shafts" anymore seeing that so much of what is known now conclusively points to the fact that they were never meant to be used as such.

Since the openings to the Queen's Chamber were left uncut I wonder why there should be "air plugs" on the other end.

*good points cyaneyed and third eye

I wonder if openings of the shafts at the exterior surfaces have been located?? Another thing i wonder about is... if they were inbuilt to provide air to the inner chambers during construction, and then , plugged up along the way as construction proceeded outward and upward , as they obviously were, ... WHY on earth would they continue to the outside surface.. and air ? post-86645-0-48667000-1305723194_thumb.g

Edited by lightly

I don't think those shafts should be termed as "air shafts" anymore seeing that so much of what is known now conclusively points to the fact that they were never meant to be used as such.

This is not true. What is true is that many people find this the simplest

explanation for a feature built in what they believe is a tomb by people who

drew pictures of little birds representing the "soul" of the dearly departed

flying about. This is not an unreasonable assumption but there is no evidence

to support it and there is some logic which shows it is neither consistent

with the evidence nor internally.

Indeed, one of the best more recent theories is that these shafts allowed the

waters of Nun to flood the chamber for the dead king believed to have been in

the king's chamber.

As far as anyone knows none of the other great pyramids had such a feature so

the question would become why would these people believe for less than twenty

years the king needed an escape route and then suddenly revert to the old beliefs

or move on to something new that again had him buried under his tombstone without

a means of escape.

Since the openings to the Queen's Chamber were left uncut I wonder why there should be "air plugs" on the other end.

If you assume that the shafts were simply sealed when they were no longer being

used in construction then the questions become much more manageable. The lower

end simply suggests a second intended function which was never used.

I don't believe it is safe to assume everything about the culture and their arte-

facts had a religious function. It seems that 150 years of these assumptions have

led us to a dead end and numerous contradictions, inconsistencies, and mysteries.

Sometimes an air shaft is just an air shaft.

The Pyramid Texts seem to touch on these a little. I believe they are the dorsal air

siphon of Serket and if you could talk to a builder that's what he'd call it.

Edited by cladking

*good points cyaneyed and third eye

I wonder if openings of the shafts at the exterior surfaces have been located?? Another thing i wonder about is... if they were inbuilt to provide air to the inner chambers during construction, and then , plugged up along the way as construction proceeded outward and upward , as they obviously were, ... WHY on earth would they continue to the outside surface.. and air ? post-86645-0-48667000-1305723194_thumb.g

The upper shafts, of course, continue to the outside and someone

even attempted to enlarge the northern one to breach the pyramid.

It's very unlikely the lower shafts continue to the outside and

this goes double if they were airshafts since they are plugged.

It seems probable that one the kings chamber shafts were begun

the lower shafts simply became redundant so they were blocked and

abandoned.

abandoned.

thanks cladking, Ah.. the upper ones from the King's chamber... i thought i remembered at least one reaching the exterior. :lol: .. at the attempt to breach the pyramid through a shaft approximately 6 inches in diameter? Of course they wouldn't know that ... until they tried .

abandoned.

Okay, let's back it up a little bit here. Let's take things a little slower.

Step by step.

First : Was the Queen's chamber abandoned before , during or prior to the completion of the King's Chambers or Grand Gallery?

Makes a lot of difference for each different scenario.

Was the openings to the Queen's Chambers "stone left uncut" or "patched up" ?

If "left uncut" the whole process of getting it there requires very important planning.

Do you move everything on top out of the way and getting a brand new uncut stone in place and restack everything back up on top ?

Edited by third_eye

"airshafts"? Oh my, bless your heart classic tenderfoot mistake. They're channels for microwaves to be emitted into space.

source: this

I don't believe it's possible for any single causative factor to be the reason

the airshafts were built. These are far too complicated to fit into any single

use or single need explanation. This means there were at least two reasons each

shaft or each pair of shafts were made. These two reasons might be different

between the upper and lower shafts since there are very fundamental differences

between each pair.

First : Was the Queen's chamber abandoned before , during or prior to the completion of the King's Chambers or Grand Gallery?

This is the largest fundamental difference. Physical objects (and air) could act-

ually pass through the upper shafts while the lower shafts were built closed. The

queens shafts end about the level of the kings chamber suggesting that one of the

functions could be taken over by the upper air shafts. This would explain why they

were sealed with the plugs at that point though one is left to ponder why they were

sealed so elaborately. There seems no simple function that would entail copper han-

dles. (I'll look into the exact height of the plug and get back to you if it seems

relevant).

Was the openings to the Queen's Chambers "stone left uncut" or "patched up" ?

It was uncut. In other words the bottom was sealed even as it was being built. This

might merely suggest they didn't know for certain that the ability to pass solid ob-

jects would be required for these shafts.

Do you move everything on top out of the way and getting a brand new uncut stone in place and restack everything back up on top ?

I'm confident they would have merely opened up the shaft if it were deemed necesary

but it never was.

@clad

With all due respect cladking, your statement here :

It was uncut. In other words the bottom was sealed even as it was being built. This

might merely suggest they didn't know for certain that the ability to pass solid ob-

jects would be required for these shafts.

makes me think that I would likely come to the conclusion that you are either in dire need of a psychiatrist or you are just trying a little too hard at being silly.

@clad

With all due respect cladking, your statement here :

makes me think that I would likely come to the conclusion that you are either in dire need of a psychiatrist or you are just trying a little too hard at being silly.

If you can put what you don't understand into words I'd be

happy to try to explain it to you.

The shafts are indeed a great mystery and curiosity - not least how on earth were they constructed, never mind why?

The most likely theory is that they were a kind of conduit for starlight, externally or energy internally between chambers. This theory alludes to the idea that the GP was an energy generator of some kind - a theory that I full subscribe to.

Z

I think Cladking has a point in that no such shafts appear anywhere the I know of, in any other Pharonic burial site. Khafre's Pyramid for instance, built right next door does not have such shafts.

As air shafts, I really don't see the need. Unless work continued on these rooms years and years into the continuing construction. Even then, The Egyptians must have had other means to deal with stale air, as they never made similar shafts in any of their other, often quite extensive, tombs.

If you can put what you don't understand into words I'd be

happy to try to explain it to you.

I believe you miss the point again, I am sure you are more than happy and willing to explain.

We understand your silliness, you on the other don't seem to understand that we all do.

I believe you miss the point again, I am sure you are more than happy and willing to explain.

We understand your silliness, you on the other don't seem to understand that we all do.

I've always believed that people rarely actually communicate. Now I

believe human history is based on a long series of misunderstandings.

Silly is irrelevant; being understood is what matters.

I believe that the air shafts were used to introduce air inside the

pyramid for the 42 men who operated the equipment that lifted water

from 80' to 160'. These were the air siphons of Serket who was also

the Goddess of a secondary counterweight. They were even designed

similarly to the air siphon of the water scorpion which she wore on

her head. Serket was the Goddess of Respiration as well. The water

bug, nepa cinerea, also maintained an air bubble underneath its ab-

domen as is represented by the kings chamber.

I believe that these passages were also used as brakes for the main

counterweight. The queens chamber passages were never opened because

they proved unecessary for use as air ducts. The water that went

into the queens chamber after the grand gallery was started didn't

have enough flow to carry large amounts of sand with it. The little

that was carried in could be removed during down turns and the off

season.

There may have even been a minor third usage as well.

These shafts can not be explained by any single theory unless that

theory involves highly complicated religious concepts which seems

highly improbable. The idea that such complicated concepts might

evolve and then disappear in a single generation seems groosly im-

probable.

I believe that the air shafts were used to introduce air inside the

pyramid for the 42 men who operated the equipment that lifted water

from 80' to 160'. These were the air siphons of Serket who was also

the Goddess of a secondary counterweight. They were even designed

similarly to the air siphon of the water scorpion which she wore on

her head. Serket was the Goddess of Respiration as well. The water

bug, nepa cinerea, also maintained an air bubble underneath its ab-

domen as is represented by the kings chamber.

I believe that these passages were also used as brakes for the main

counterweight. The queens chamber passages were never opened because

they proved unecessary for use as air ducts. The water that went

into the queens chamber after the grand gallery was started didn't

have enough flow to carry large amounts of sand with it. The little

that was carried in could be removed during down turns and the off

season.

There may have even been a minor third usage as well.

These shafts can not be explained by any single theory unless that

theory involves highly complicated religious concepts which seems

highly improbable. The idea that such complicated concepts might

evolve and then disappear in a single generation seems groosly im-

probable.

This would make more sense if the other 2 pyramids on the plateau had the same air shafts but as they don’t how can you explain how they were built ?

TiP.

This would make more sense if the other 2 pyramids on the plateau had the same air shafts but as they don’t how can you explain how they were built ?

I believe that they passed water up on the exterior of some of

the other great pyramids. Probably a very simple method was used

like just passing it up in buckets. Part of the reason for this

was to build a little larger than otherwise could have been done

but most of the reason was to avoid all the hooking up of loads as

they were lifted a little at a time all the way to the top.

@Clad

All forms of living creatures "communicate"

Most of us here are communicating.

You on the other hand is not being misunderstood, your kind of nonsense doesn't even credit as silliness because you lack the degree of humor.

Your kind of nonsense is understandably detested enough to be no longer regarded as "misunderstandings".

The shafts are indeed a great mystery and curiosity - not least how on earth were they constructed, never mind why?

The most likely theory is that they were a kind of conduit for starlight, externally or energy internally between chambers. This theory alludes to the idea that the GP was an energy generator of some kind - a theory that I full subscribe to.

Z

Could you substantiate your theory??? Not that I don't believe in it I would love to see some research on the subject. Thanks

Could you substantiate your theory??? Not that I don't believe in it I would love to see some research on the subject. Thanks

To consider that the shafts were built for ventilation is a total non-starter. Why on earth go to all that trouble of fashioning a small rectangular duct hundred's of metres through the core masonry with all of the intricate work it would entail? Why not rig up a temporary system consisting of hollow pipes made from natural material to supply the builders with oxygen during the construction? It just doesn't make sense.

An excellent read is Chris Dunn's book 'The Giza Power Plant'. In the book Dunn proposes a well worked out purpose for the GP which takes into account all of it's enigmatic features including the shafts, based on engineering and physical principles.

I have read elsewhere about the GP being a generating machine. The idea was in fact proposed long before Dunn's book. Much evidence about the GP's constuction supports this. There are for example intense scorch marks to be seen in the roof of the Grand Gallery that in no way were caused by hand lamps. They are indicative of a much more intense process. There are also cracks in the King's Chamber Granite granite masonry that occur nowhere else in the pyramid suggesting that the damage was a local phenomena rather than a external natural event such as an earth quake.

And much much more but alas my dinner is ready

Later

z

Questions please? Have both of the shafts from the kings chamber been examined and found to contain plugs? What is puzzling to me is... IF the shafts were built to provide air (or ANYTHING else) to chambers during construction, or thereafter , and then plugged as construction proceeded , as they obviously were, why continue the shafts beyond the points at which they were plugged ? :blink: