Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is anti white bias a problem?

Farmer77

Interesting article. Having been the victim of anti white bias myself I have to say yes it is a growing problem.

Thoughts?

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/05/22/is-anti-white-bias-a-problem

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wookietim

• danielost

• SilverCougar

• rashore

Interesting article. Having been the victim of anti white bias myself I have to say yes it is a growing problem.

Thoughts?

In the fire service, blacks, hispanics and women get an automatic ten point bump in the testing process, which as competitive as it already is makes it pretty much a shoe-in for a minority to get a fire job...not because they are qualified or capable of doing the job, but because they are not white men.

Thoughts?

The finding that white Americans see blacks’ progress as an insult or a diminishment of their status is not entirely surprising. Zero-sum formulations of prejudice tend to emerge in lean economic times, fueling cultural or historical rivalries of all sorts.

The first sentence is, what got me I'm white and don't see the progress that the blacks have made as an insult or a diminished of the my status in life. This sentence just screamed like typical stereotyping to me about how the whites are treated betters in every way shape and forum and are given everything just because of their sink color.

Its true that during the time of the slave trade until the civil rights movements that it did happened a lot thought I doubt it still does due to the civil rights act that was interlocked in to law by LBJ " which states that no one should be discriminated against because of their race, religion, sexuality ect."

I also know most of the fire fighters in my district due to the fact that my dad is the fire marshal of Humble. I'd say we have a mixer of races at the fire houses in my area not just fire fighters that in other not just Hispanics and Blacks.

Edited by Ryinrea

Is it a problem? One question will answer that. Can you have a proud to be white parade?...... No

One more question. Are their grants for schooling that require you to be white?..... No

What I am saying is this. I am white. Because of this I am screwed. I get zero assistance and can't even be proud of it. Kinda crappy being white. So is it a problem? Yes.

Equality is equal. What we have is favoritism not equality.

The first sentence is what got me I'm white and don't see the progress that the blacks have made as an insult or a diminished of the my status in life. This sentence just screamed like typical stereotyping to me about how the whites are treated betters in every way shape and forum and are given everything just because of their sink color. Its true probably during the being of the slave trade until the civil rights movements but I doubt that its anything likeable here. In fire services, being Hispanic and black doesn't give them special treatment over the whites.

I know this because their are more of a mixer of whites and other races that work in the fire department were my dad works. In other words this article is bullish turd.

I also know the probes and most of the police and fire fighters in my district I grew up with these guys and gals and I would say we have a mixer of all races in our district not more of one race than the other.

You must not be in the real world then. It was necessary for special treatment when the civil rights movement started but now as I said above it is simply favoritism and not equality. It sucks. And while I hold no anger towards any human being. The realist inside me knows it is I that may be getting the short end of the stick.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Is it a problem? One question will answer that. Can you have a proud to be white parade?...... No

One more question. Are their grants for schooling that require you to be white?..... NoWhat I am saying is this. I am white. Because of this I am screwed. I get zero assistance and can't even be proud of it. Kinda crappy being white. So is it a problem? Yes.

Equality is equal. What we have is favoritism not equality.

some guy tried this one a year ago or so. he was called a racist on this very site.

sorry, but if i am in a fire and need help, i want someone who knows what their doing, dont care what their skin color is.

some guy tried this one a year ago or so. he was called a racist on this very site.

Well I hope I am not labeled a racist. All my friends of every minority will laugh hysterically, as they know I don't care about skin. Fact is only africans are pure blood. The rest of us are neanderthal hybrids. True story.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Well I hope I am not labeled a racist. All my friends of every minority will laugh historically, as they know I don't care about skin. Fact is only africans are pure blood. The rest of us are neanderthal hybrids. True story.

Big flipping whoop about the Neanderthal thing. That means nothing in modern day unless you want to look like a "know it all nit picker".

It's like saying "I'm part this culture, that culture, some of this other culture.." Doesn't mean a damned thing.

What we need now is to make it so *everyone* can succeed, not just certain people of certain ethnicity. Stop giving points to people who are Latino, women, or black. Firefighters need skills and know how, not what color or gender they are. -.- Give that poor kid a scholarship. Base it on how much they need it and how well they do in school. Not because they're something other then Caucasian.

Thoughts?

what white person here hasnt been the victim of anti-white bias? Trying to get into college is extremely unfair for white people

Thoughts?

Personnally, I see no problem in other ethnic groups putting whites down. It does not bother me. If there is an obsticle created due to this, I usually just work that much harder. That is what I usually see in white people I know personnally, that if they are held down, they struggle against it and overcome. This IMHO makes white stronger in reality and thus the bias actually makes whites more competetive.

I used to hear a lot of black against white propoganda in Georgia when I was in the Army. I'd always tell the black soldiers I worked with, "Why is it that I am better then you that you need help?". They did not like my suggestion that they were somehow inferior because they needed the Law to give them something extra, otherwise they could not compete.

I understand that bigotry and racism is wrong, but does the law need to be written so that the playing feild is not just level, but gives some groups a definate and distict advantage? Why can the law not standardize college testing so that whites, blacks, asians and latinos all come out about the same? Why does there need to be college acceptance of say a SAT of 1400 for a white and 1150 for a black? Is that really helping that black person? Or are you just setting up that person to have lower expectations of himself compared to a white for the rest of his life??? Does this actually help the white person with the 1400, as he has to work harder and be smarter, stronger, faster, quicker to get the same education, scholarship or job?

I think in the long run... 100s of years, whites will actually come out of Political Correctness and Equal Opportunity, as still being "On top", due to their expection that they need to excel, while other groups are allowed the expection that they do not have to excel.

And I don't think the answer is to bring down standards for whites... that will just set up everyone to fail to excel. We need to set everyone up so that they want to excel and have that chance.

what white person here hasnt been the victim of anti-white bias? Trying to get into college is extremely unfair for white people

I'd agree.. but I went to a school that was mainly white. (Only three black kids at the time I was in High School) What was the kicker instead? Anti-Poor/students that were not kids of school faculty members. All the great scholarships went to either the superintendent's kids, the principal's kids.. not the teacher's kids mind you.. Oh and if people donate gobs and gobs of cash, their kid gets a super ride to college too.

When it came to kids like me and a friend who got *royally* screwed? We were lucky if our applications were sent in by the guidance councilors (which was a requirement) My friend actually got a sweet one that paid for nearly everything and gave him an allowance. Damned bint of a councilor didn't mail in what she was supposed to until 2 weeks after its due date. He only ended up with 2,000 bucks being given too him.

It's insane.. it really is. And because of all the issues I had trying to get enough, I was only able to afford a year. Getting into college should not bankrupt people and should not be this crazy hard for *ANYONE* to get into.. no matter what ethnicity or gender they are.

And I don't think the answer is to bring down standards for whites... that will just set up everyone to fail to excel. We need to set everyone up so that they want to excel and have that chance.

I absolutely agree that standards should not be brought down for whites. Standards should just be equal across the boards

I'd agree.. but I went to a school that was mainly white. (Only three black kids at the time I was in High School) What was the kicker instead? Anti-Poor/students that were not kids of school faculty members. All the great scholarships went to either the superintendent's kids, the principal's kids.. not the teacher's kids mind you.. Oh and if people donate gobs and gobs of cash, their kid gets a super ride to college too.

When it came to kids like me and a friend who got *royally* screwed? We were lucky if our applications were sent in by the guidance councilors (which was a requirement) My friend actually got a sweet one that paid for nearly everything and gave him an allowance. Damned bint of a councilor didn't mail in what she was supposed to until 2 weeks after its due date. He only ended up with 2,000 bucks being given too him.

It's insane.. it really is. And because of all the issues I had trying to get enough, I was only able to afford a year. Getting into college should not bankrupt people and should not be this crazy hard for *ANYONE* to get into.. no matter what ethnicity or gender they are.

Damn thats horrible. Im really sorry that happened to you. Its really unfortunate how having rich parents made some kids more valuable than others. That happened at my high school too

Big flipping whoop about the Neanderthal thing. That means nothing in modern day unless you want to look like a "know it all nit picker".

It's like saying "I'm part this culture, that culture, some of this other culture.." Doesn't mean a damned thing.

What we need now is to make it so *everyone* can succeed, not just certain people of certain ethnicity. Stop giving points to people who are Latino, women, or black. Firefighters need skills and know how, not what color or gender they are. -.- Give that poor kid a scholarship. Base it on how much they need it and how well they do in school. Not because they're something other then Caucasian.

that would be an american

i lived in washington state in a small town. this town was so proud of itself, it had gotten rid of all blacks in it. i knew at the time this was wrong and stupid. i was 8 then.

i lived in washington state in a small town. this town was so proud of itself, it had gotten rid of all blacks in it. i knew at the time this was wrong and stupid. i was 8 then.

Good for you?

that would be an american

Thanks for that.. Captain Dan Obvious!

Thanks for that.. Captain Dan Obvious!

you said it didnt matter, i think being a american does matter.

I agree with what you wrote but that first sentence group was a bit harsh if I say so. I was using it as an example of how ridiculous racism is. Silly.

My old university offered support for: Women, Gays, Lesbians, Single Mothers (supposedly "Single parents", but a mate of mine was a single father and got nothing from them), Aboriginals, Torres Strait Islanders, Religious Minorities, Racial Minorities and Foreigners.

So me, as a white, heterosexual male without any brood got nothing. Fine, I thought, I'd just knuckle down and do well. I did well enough that when Honours time rolled around I should have been on the list, Nope, I wasn't because there were too many people on the list from my course so everyone who was on the 'supported' list got in and I didn't. Makes the university look progressive and inclusive.

you said it didnt matter, i think being a american does matter.

Pointing it out though was pointless given that you completely missed my context.

I agree with what you wrote but that first sentence group was a bit harsh if I say so. I was using it as an example of how ridiculous racism is. Silly.

You are right. It's harsh.

Pointing it out though was pointless given that you completely missed my context.

i got it, i just didnt like it. i am waiting to see the first egyptian-american to use the term african-american for himself.

i got it, i just didnt like it. i am waiting to see the first egyptian-american to use the term african-american for himself.

Seriously.. do you go through these swings where you type a much of things and hope they make sense?