Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why spiders decorate their webs

Still Waters

The delicate web decorations spun by some orb-weaving spiders are a strange but well-known phenomena, but exactly why the spiders adorn their webs is unclear.

Now a study by researchers in Australia suggests that the creatures use decorations to protect their webs from damage.

A team has made a discovery in one spider species that suggests the spiders use adornments "tactically" to make their webs more visible to animals that might accidentally damage them.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• George Ford

• Verneph

• daviddee

Perhaps the spiders just have a taste for fine decor? :P

Did you see this link on the same page! A spider that spins a 25meter web!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9001000/9001866.stm

Yes and it's been posted on UM too -

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190441&hl=gigantic%20spiders%20web%20&st=0

:tu:

Well, it makes practical sense. Nobody, man or beast likes a face full of spider web.:no:

But like Verneph said, maybe they just have creativity and taste built in too.

Did a paper on arachnids once...fascinating critters.

Edited by Taut

Oh... I so wanted to post on that thread!!! But I won't necropost... So I'll just say it here....

I love those spiders!!! :lol:

That is one of the coolest things I've seen. Orb weavers are true masters at what they do. :tu:

Edited by Dharma D

Not really surprising.. If I made a web, I'd want to make it less in the way of damage.

Spiders are awesome creatures! Some of them can produce threads from their FEET in order that they can hold on to slippy surfaces!

Spiders are awesome creatures! Some of them can produce threads from their FEET in order that they can hold on to slippy surfaces!

Wow! That's a skill I'd love to have - how useful would that be for humans on icy winter days? Especially if you're like me and have no sense of balance at the best of times...!