Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO sightings warn of alien invasion

Just a thought as far as Mr.Hawking is concerned. He's clearly a very intelligent guy, but he has been very wrong on numerous occasions :yes:

How can someone be 'wrong' by suggesting a possibility? He never said that all ET civilizations would be hostile. He also never said that any of them definitely would be -- he only proposed that it was a possibility to consider:

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach."

Some of the problems with the arguments against Hawking by those in support of the friendly ETH is that many haven't bothered to read the statements properly (or have gotten their information from misleading sources or incorrect headlines, such as the one this thread references).

He was not speaking in absolutes.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• BunnyGirl

• DONTEATUS

• booNyzarC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How can someone be 'wrong' by suggesting a possibility? He never said that all ET civilizations would be hostile. He also never said that any of them definitely would be -- he only proposed that it was a possibility to consider:

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach."

Some of the problems with the arguments against Hawking by those in support of the friendly ETH is that many haven't bothered to read the statements properly (or have gotten their information from misleading sources or incorrect headlines, such as the one this thread references).

He was not speaking in absolutes.

Sorry?

Did I say he was wrong in this instance? Or did I say he has been wrong in the past?

Also I do not support the friendly or unfriendly ETH, I don't even believe they have been here, 'robotic' probes maybe, but not the aliens themselves.

As far as this particular instance goes, I think Hawking is on the wrong track. Imho there is nothing here for the aliens that they can't find on any one of millions of uninhabited worlds without having to deal with us or possibly the great distances involved.

Of course we could be the objects of interest, in which case whoever they are ( if ever they are ), are coming and doing " whatever " no matter what we do.

One more point and I think it's a good one.

Have a look at this picture..

radio_broadcasts.jpg

We really haven't announced our presence any further than the metaphorical bottom of the garden, so worrying about being invaded by marauding ET overlords is more than a little alarmist in my humble opinion :yes:

Hmmmm

I'd like to think that IF a race of beings had the technological ability to traverse space the way that we are talking about here. Then the same race would have ways, very very advanced ways (which our minds would not be able to comprehend at this point in time) to search for life on other planets.

I would like to think that a super advanced race wouldnt have to wait for our p***y little radio messages to drizzle through space to know that we are here.

In fact, i think if there IS a super advanced race, then they would have had a lot to do with our advancement genetically, spiritually and technologically.

Sorry?

Did I say he was wrong in this instance? Or did I say he has been wrong in the past?

You said he'd been wrong in the past. In the context of the thread, however, it appeared that you were suggesting he was wrong regarding this and not just making a random statement.

That said, I am in agreement with you on most of your other points.

We are all right and wrong, Finguz (don't get me wrong, quite like your posting), I took your comment around the wrong way like Bunny Girl, I do not have a problem with the good professor offering this up as a possibility, I do not think it is outside the realms of possibility. I think it is just speculation, and with the ETH, I think that can be forgiven? All he siad was it did not work out too well for the native Americans, I figured he was more simple along the same lines of if someone shows up that we may have something they want, which one has to admit is plausible be it from curiosity to a habitable planet. Might as well dramatise a tad when you have CGI at your disposal :D

And you are right, he has been wrong, noticeably the Preskill/Thorne bet where he was an honest man, admitted his shortcomings and provided Preskill with Total Baseball, The Ultimate Baseball Encyclopedia, and in an older bet he presented Thorne with a years subscription to Penthouse although Kips wife was not all that thrilled with the win. He might be wrong from time to time, we all are, but he is honest about it :D

And he is a Penthouse fan. Can't be all bad?

That picture sure does tell a thousand words.

Cheers.

All he siad was it did not work out too well for the native Americans,

I have always felt this is an over used point that doesn't really apply to an 'Alien' invasion. The Idea here is that Europeans were extra ordinarily harsh towards Native Americans, (sometimes they were) but the truth is that roughly 90% of Native Americans died off from European diseases before ever even meeting a European.

Stray viruses will Kill, but this is not what people mean when this analogy is used. The implication is that Europeans had advanced technology and that is what lead to the demise of Native Americans. That is only in part true because 9 out of 10 Native Americans were Dead before even setting eyes on a European. Place that in context, no modern war ever started after 90% of a population was killed outright.

I have always felt this is an over used point that doesn't really apply to an 'Alien' invasion. The Idea here is that Europeans were extra ordinarily harsh towards Native Americans, (sometimes they were) but the truth is that roughly 90% of Native Americans died off from European diseases before ever even meeting a European.

Stray viruses will Kill, but this is not what people mean when this analogy is used. The implication is that Europeans had advanced technology and that is what lead to the demise of Native Americans. That is only in part true because 9 out of 10 Native Americans were Dead before even setting eyes on a European. Place that in context, no modern war ever started after 90% of a population was killed outright.

Completely right, not the same ratio in Australia, but the same tale.

He has alluded to exactly this in the past -

Hawking, known not only for his sharp mind, but his also for his biting sense of humor, prefers option number three: "Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare," he quickly added: "Some would say it has yet to occur on earth. "We should be careful if we ever happen upon extraterrestrial life, Hawking warns. Alien life may not have DNA like ours: "Watch out if you would meet an alien. You could be infected with a disease with which you have no resistance."

Link

In which case he would be right, it did not work out too well for the native Americans, I see what you are saying, but I do not think the ambiguity of his statement was accidental. This is just a more dramatic way of getting the point across, and Lord knows he has accomplished that.

In which case he would be right, it did not work out too well for the native Americans, I see what you are saying, but I do not think the ambiguity of his statement was accidental. This is just a more dramatic way of getting the point across, and Lord knows he has accomplished that.

Of course the flip-side was that Syphilis (a New World disease) ravaged Europe, it just happens that this was rather mild compared to the way Small Pox and other things killed off Native Americans.

Alien life may not have DNA like ours: "Watch out if you would meet an alien. You could be infected with a disease with which you have no resistance."

I'd point out that this is true also for the latest Influenza strains which Kill people ever year despite best Medical practices.

Of course the flip-side was that Syphilis (a New World disease) ravaged Europe, it just happens that this was rather mild compared to the way Small Pox and other things killed off Native Americans.

Personally I think I would rather go via Syphillis, at least you have the hedonistic fun of getting infected.

I'd point out that this is true also for the latest Influenza strains which Kill people ever year despite best Medical practices.

Indeed, I believe Swine Flu was the last epidemic I saw down under, positive I caught a dose, and it took quite a few out.

Is not the simple bacteria an Alien in our own world that could be our demise?

• 2 weeks later...

I really like how so called really brilliant people like hawking...seti people and such state that there's got to be life "out there" its amazing how these people are actually so dumb as to not understand that aliens are here...been here...have interacted with other humans and the proof is so overwhelming as to be without reproach...but these people live in some kind of socially protected fantasy world where they can't see beyond their telescope. And then you have hawking almost making a statement of fact that it would be dangerous to make contact...like he would have any idea at all other than just guessing....you people need to go to sleep and stay there. LUNATICS ALL.

I really like how so called really brilliant people like hawking...seti people and such state that there's got to be life "out there" its amazing how these people are actually so dumb as to not understand that aliens are here...been here...have interacted with other humans and the proof is so overwhelming as to be without reproach...but these people live in some kind of socially protected fantasy world where they can't see beyond their telescope. And then you have hawking almost making a statement of fact that it would be dangerous to make contact...like he would have any idea at all other than just guessing....you people need to go to sleep and stay there. LUNATICS ALL.

There is absolutely no proof that aliens are here, have been here, or are coming here. If I'm wrong, kindly show me this proof. I'd love to see it.

There is absolutely no proof that aliens are here, have been here, or are coming here. If I'm wrong, kindly show me this proof. I'd love to see it.

I won't be holding my breath, but I suspect another rant will be in order shortly (given as a response, if there is one).

My thoughts exactly. Except for the lunatics part. I understand their approach and reasons for thinking the way they do. Hell, I was a major skeptic myself. Nothing personal, just frustrating its taken as long as it has and counting.

My thoughts exactly. Except for the lunatics part. I understand their approach and reasons for thinking the way they do. Hell, I was a major skeptic myself. Nothing personal, just frustrating its taken as long as it has and counting.

Then perhaps you would be able to share in more detail how "the proof is so overwhelming as to be without reproach" with the rest of us? I've seen a lot of people take this stance and then scoff at anyone daring to ask to be shown this overwhelming proof which is beyond reproach. Stephen Bassett is one of the most notorious in UFOlogy who does this.

Can you kindly share this proof so that we can finally settle this debate once and for all?

Awesome!!! Insanely good production,music from resident evil... Epic...One flaw those things would be detected probably when they would be nearby earth. Army would react faster...Still freakin' awesome movie!!!

Actually the music is from 28 Days Later.

Anyway, I think that whether or not we should be sending messages to ETs is possibly a moot point.

For over 100 years Earth has been a beacon of electromagnetic radiation leaking out into space. There's an ever expanding sphere (currently about ~100 light years radius) where ETs could pick up our signals and deduce they're obviously from an intelligent source, and try to make sense of them. On the other hand, maybe the signals will have become so diluted they will be indistinguishable from background noise.

I also wouldn't put much stock into what Stephen Hawking says, not because he's not a brilliantly intelligent man, but because like a lot of brilliant men, he's a world class expert in a narrow field of knowledge - quantum physics and cosmology - and thus doesn't necessarily have the knowledge of other subjects to make earth shattering proclamations about them. It's not that he's right or wrong, he's just another in a long line of people who are famous or experts in one field, making proclamations about fields they don't really know that much about.

Edited by Archimedes

I also wouldn't put much stock into what Stephen Hawking says, not because he's not a brilliantly intelligent man, but because like a lot of brilliant men, he's a world class expert in a narrow field of knowledge - quantum physics and cosmology - and thus doesn't necessarily have the knowledge of other subjects to make earth shattering proclamations about them. It's not that he's right or wrong, he's just another in a long line of people who are famous or experts in one field, making proclamations about fields they don't really know that much about.

Archimedes,

I don't really have an issue with the first part of your post, but where the second part is concerned, would you mind specifying what field(s) he is making proclamations about?

Can you kindly share this proof so that we can finally settle this debate once and for all?

I would like to see this proof as well.

And I agree -- Bassett is famous for claiming overwhelming evidence (OMG, it's a Truth Embargo!!!), but so are most Exopolitical representatives. While there may exist evidence that something anomalous is in our the skies, I have not seen or heard of any 'proof' of extraterrestrial contact or visitation.

The pros and cons of communicating our presence to extraterrestials.

That's a field?

If it is a 'field,' it's a field almost every human being on the planet would have a right to toss their 2 cents in to. There are no experts when it comes to unknowns such as possible alien intelligence(s).

Well, almost no one.

Been there....done that.....got the t-shirt to prove it- :blush:

Fair enough point, but my overall point still stands.

People have a tendency to give weight to quotes or statements from Einstein, Hawking, etc. that are on subjects that have nothing to do with why they were famous. People think that because they were seriously smart dudes, that anything they say on any topic automatically has some sort of weight.

You're right that Stephen Hawking's opinion about extraterrestial life is about as worthy as the average man in the street's opinion, which is my point. People shouldn't automatically give him credence on the topic.

I would like to see this proof as well.

And I agree -- Bassett is famous for claiming overwhelming evidence (OMG, it's a Truth Embargo!!!), but so are most Exopolitical representatives. While there may exist evidence that something anomalous is in our the skies, I have not seen or heard of any 'proof' of extraterrestrial contact or visitation.

Watching people like Bassett throw their little fits about the Truth Embargo has become comical to me. He really gets worked up too, like he's saving the world or something. I just don't get it. I can't help but laugh.

People shouldn't automatically give him credence on the topic.

Of course not (I agree with you). He is as much in the dark about unknown civilizations as anyone else. I just don't see his comments as overstepping his boundaries in particular.

Watching people like Bassett throw their little fits about the Truth Embargo has become comical to me. He really gets worked up too, like he's saving the world or something. I just don't get it. I can't help but laugh.

I feel the same way. My favorite is Greer and his Free Energy claims.