Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weinergate?

SilverCougar

There are such things as moral clauses.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/m/morals-clause/

I think that with politicians it is an unspoken law and they should be held to higher standards than, say, a constuction worker.

Perhaps they ought to be held to higher standards - in their job. But to expect politicians to be pure and above reproach in every part of their lives is to expect an unrealistic standard from them.

Really - what Weiner did is not even that horrible. He didn't even have sex in his sex scandal. He sent a few naughty pictures... I mean, this is about as slight of a sex scandal as one can have. His big mistake was lying to the press about it. And, yes, that was wrong. But that is neither against the law nor is it exactly that unheard of.

And then the question becomes : Why was the press so hungry to learn about his personal life rather than focusing on his professional life? Has American politics become that much of a reality TV show that we feel the need to learn about the private lives of every public figure? Don't answer that... Bill Clinton showed that the answer is a "Yes"... But why? I mean, I don't care about my bosses sex life (Not one iota). I don't care about yours, or my next door neighbors... I don't care about whether Bill and Hillary are sleeping together or if Al and Tipper Gore have had affairs... I don't really care much about Gingrich's affairs or McCain's sex life... I care about their politics. I care about what way they vote on things that affect me. And Twitter usage doesn't really affect me all that much...

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• Wookietim

• new2forum

• questionmark

But, he did lie to his constituents (his bosses in essence), to the press, and placed the blame elsewhere while on the job. Say I worked at an art shop and broke an expensive piece and blamed it on another employee. It was completely by accident and would have been written off on insurance if I had just fessed up. Upon viewing the video my lie was exposed and I was fired. It would be justifiable.

There are such things as moral clauses.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/m/morals-clause/

I think that with politicians it is an unspoken law and they should be held to higher standards than, say, a construction worker.

Which I find ... well pointless given how our politicians ect ect have been breaking this "unspoken law" since the very beginning of the country. We know all the "immoral" behavior of Washington, Jefferson.. on up to JFK, FDR, and Clinton...

I find it pathetically hilarious that every time there is a sex scandal of some shape or form people act as if it's inconceivable! Maybe if we just stop even caring what our politicians do with their d**** within the actual law not some "unspoken law", then such things won't be this big an issue.

General you might find what he did immoral. However it's none of the general you's business what he does on his private time. He's accountable publicly when he's on the job. Not when he's home (or in the gym.. lawls). Then it's none of our freaking business. (Penises on /MY/ internets? More likely then you think!)

But, he did lie to his constituents (his bosses in essence), to the press, and placed the blame elsewhere while on the job. Say I worked at an art shop and broke an expensive piece and blamed it on another employee. It was completely by accident and would have been written off on insurance if I had just fessed up. Upon viewing the video my lie was exposed and I was fired. It would be justifiable.

Except here is the problem - in your example, you did the thing you lied about while on the job and it pertained to things about your job. What Weiner did was not on the job and had nothing to do with his job. And the press actually caused him to take time away from his job for things it wanted to know about his private life.

Let's say you had a job in an antique store. When you left for the night, you go home, eat dinner with your significant other and then go to the computer and Tweet a photo of yourself to someone else. The next day, your friends find out and come to the store where you work and will not leave, following you around, asking you questions, demanding a statement until (Not wanting a divorce) you say "It wasn't me, okay?!! Now leave me alone!"

Would you deserve to be fired from your job?

No, he was not "fired" for his lie. He was pressured out because they finally had an excuse to get rid of him. He just inadvertently and stupidly handed them the noose. There was a lot more to it. Granted it's ignored because people would rather focus on his act and lie.

I give up...as others have in this thread. We aren't going to agree. ;)

Edited by Michelle

*shrugs* That's fine.

*shrugs* That's fine.

Still luv ya tho... :wub:

psh.. =P :wub:

When all of the backstabbers started going on about how he "never made friends" and how he was "too brash and too bold"... It was painfully obvious that they were champing at the bit to find even just *one* reason to get rid of him. If he owned up to his mistake of mistweeting, he still would have been pushed out for "immoral" and "inappropriate" behavior over the net.

psh.. =P :wub:

When all of the backstabbers started going on about how he "never made friends" and how he was "too brash and too bold"... It was painfully obvious that they were champing at the bit to find even just *one* reason to get rid of him. If he owned up to his mistake of mistweeting, he still would have been pushed out for "immoral" and "inappropriate" behavior over the net.

I hate to break it to many of the people that argue that politicians ought to be held to high standards but... well... Newsflash (And I speak from the experience of being on the male side of things): Guys are horny. We use the internet for many things and doing naughty things on it is one of those things. We like flirting with women. Sometimes we even like flirting with women we aren't married to. And you women don't make it all that easy... we have to go to great lengths to get noticed! Why else do you think we honk our horns or dress up in stupid looking T-Shirts? If it takes pictures of our private parts sent to you on Twitter in order to get you to notice us, we will do it!

Really, all Weiner is guilty of here is having an "X" chromosome...

... I believe you mean "Y" =P

... I believe you mean "Y" =P

Actually, as I typed that I wondered which one it was - X or Y... Hey, biology is not my strong suit. I wanted to say he had something else that a woman doesn't have but I figured the censors would beep it out...

Actually, as I typed that I wondered which one it was - X or Y... Hey, biology is not my strong suit. I wanted to say he had something else that a woman doesn't have but I figured the censors would beep it out...

Quick bio lesson then! Women = XX Men = XY

*snickers* ;)

Quick bio lesson then! Women = XX Men = XY

*snickers* ;)

I knew there was something wrong with me!! ;-)

But that explains certain other people... Rupaul for example must be "XYZ"...

The status quo is to have lying politicians. We don't have to stand for it.

I think we really ought to take a look at what people are saying here... Weiner did not lie about his job. He did not lie to the american people about what he was doing or voting for or arguing in favor of. He lied about being caught sexting a woman that wasn't his wife. Can you honestly say that you would not have done the same thing if you were caught in the same situation?

Perspective (like that) could be useful/

Pelosi and the Democrats pushed for him to resign and now they are worried about who will represent Weiner's district. I think it very likely another democrat will get the spot, it is NY after all.

Pelosi and the Democrats pushed for him to resign and now they are worried about who will represent Weiner's district. I think it very likely another democrat will get the spot, it is NY after all.

*facepalms* what a buncha idiots...

*facepalms* what a buncha idiots...

Happens a lot in politics lately: shoot first and switch on the brain after it.

If the Congressional Democrats had formed up behind him and supported him and said how it politically was no big deal, then he would have been fine. It was almost like Pelosi had it in for him. I'd not be surprised if whoever takes that District has known ties to Pelosi and Co.

And it will be her fault if the next person isn't one of her lapdogs. She only has herself to blame.