Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

London Bridge Ghost Tour

Farmer77

I don't think there is one, but there is a legend which states that Jack the Ripper killed himself by leaping off Westminster Bridge.

Thank you I did not know that rumor. I'd like to add it to my tour was not the Westminster Bridge also built by Sir John rainy the architect and designer of the 1831 London Bridge and is that the original bridge or wasn't hit by bombs during World War II and reconstructed any information on the bridge Whitechapel ghost stories or pictures from the London Bridge Whitechapel would be highly appreciated.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Graves

• Farmer77

• rashore

• veledran

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are, in fact, two London Bridges.

The one that was sent over to America and the one that has spanned the River Thames in London, in various rebuilds, for 2000 years.

The first London Bridge was built in 50 by the Romans. It was destroyed during the Boudiccan Revolt in 60. Not long after, the Romans built another one.

That bridge stood for almost 1000 years (!!!) until it was pulled down by the Norwegian prince Olaf in 1014, to assist the Anglo-Saxon King Aethelred to divide the forces of the Danes who held the walled City of London and Southwark, on either side of the river; thus regaining London. This episode has been thought to have inspired the well-known nursery rhyme "London Bridge is Falling Down."

The Saxons rebuilt the bridge soon after. It was by-passed by King Cnut's ships in his war to regain the throne from Edmund II "Ironside". London Bridge was rebuilt again at some point by the Normans. That was destroyed in a great storm in 1091 which gave rise to a tornado which struck St Mary-le-Bow church. The famous bridge was destroyed yet again, by fire, in 1136.

It was again rebuilt, during the reign of King Stephen. This bridge would stand for centuries and would become the most famous incarnation of the bridge. The new bridge took 33 years to complete and was finished in 1209, during the reign of King John. John licensed the building of houses on the bridge, as a direct means of deriving revenue for its maintenance, and it was soon colonised by shops. Eventually, the bridge became one of the architectural marvels of the world.

The medieval bridge had 19 small arches and a drawbridge with a defensive gatehouse at the southern end. Contemporary pictures show it crowded with buildings of up to seven stories in height. The narrowness of the arches meant that it acted as a partial barrage over the Thames, restricting water flow and thereby making the river more susceptible to freezing over in winter because of the slower currents.

During the great fire of 1212, fire broke out on both ends of the bridge simultaneously, trapping many in the middle and resulting in the death of 3,000 people. Another major fire broke out in 1633, destroying the northern third of the bridge, although this prevented the bridge from being damaged by the Great Fire of London in 1666. By 1722, congestion was becoming so serious that the Lord Mayor decreed that "all carts, coaches and other carriages coming out of Southwark into this City do keep all along the west side of the said bridge: and all carts and coaches going out of the City do keep along the east side of the said bridge". This has been suggested as one possible origin for the practice of traffic in Britain driving on the left.

p98y.jpg

Over the years the great bridge had to undergo various repairs, such as when its great arches collapsed. It also became the place where the heads of traitors were displayed on spikes for all to see as a deterrent (below).

history+of+londonbridge++heads+mounted+above+its+gate.jpg

The bridge was eventually demolished in 1831 (which is a pity). The new London Bridge was opened on 1 August 1831. King William IV and Queen Adelaide attended a banquet in a pavilion erected on the bridge. The recently constructed HMS Beagle was the first ship to pass under it. HMS Beagle is famous for being the ship which took Darwin around the world, including the the Galapagos Islands, in the 1830s.

On 18 April 1968, this bridge was sold to the Missourian entrepreneur Robert P. McCulloch of McCulloch Oil for US$2,460,000. The claim that McCulloch believed mistakenly that he was buying the more impressive Tower Bridge was denied by Luckin in a newspaper interview. As the bridge was taken apart, each piece was numbered to aid re-assembly. The bridge was reconstructed at Lake Havasu City, Arizona, and re-dedicated on 10 October 1971. The current London Bridge (below) has been standing since 1973.

london1.jpg

post-116959-0-10530600-1307368328_thumb.

Maybe they will use Fergie's London Bridge song for ambience, that sure is haunting :ph34r:

Maybe they will use Fergie's London Bridge song for ambience, that sure is haunting :ph34r:

I like this one
Spectrum - London Bridge Is Coming Down

I like this one

Spectrum - London Bridge Is Coming Down

Compared to the nauseating Fergie ferg song, I'm with you!

Very Beatle esque!

So, website suggestions...

Personally, I think adding in a historically correct timeline to your website would be neat. If you are going to use pre 1824 history, include maps of the different locations of the bridges, that would be cool. Maybe maps of the tragic events too, like the area consumed by the 1666 fire, and where Jacks victims were found.

I would probably take out the youtube video of the TV movie slideshow. If you use videos and don't embed them, put up a warning that clicking on the link will take the person off your website. Well, lol, if you use any sites, put up the warning that clicking it will take you off your website. Especially if you are using text instead of an obvious banner for it.

Make the line "Does the London Bridge harbor the ghost of Jack the Ripper?" clickable with Jacks information under it.

Yep, put in captions for the pictures.

I would shift your layout into something a bit more centered and columned. The wandering back and forth of text and pics can get pretty distracting instead of leading the eye to information.

Stick to fewer changes between font types and sizes. Too much of that tends to distract rather than lead too.

And I dunno if it's just the way the page loads for me, or if it's something with the way you have the page set up.. But your top right hand text column runs right over the first row of pictures, obscuring the right hand one.

I would put the "Ghost sightings at the bridge are common. The first ghosts were sighted

there during the dedication ceremony in 1971. Several visitors

commented on seeing Victorian-costumed characters walking the

bridge that day; however, there were not any Victorian-era actors taking

part in the ceremony.

A British police bobby has been reported patrolling the bridge, and a

woman in a black dress is often seen at night. Visitors and tourists

walking on the bridge have reported being passed by orbs, and others

claim to have been bumped by unseen pedestrians.

Today, Lake Havasu's London Bridge is one of the most popular tourist

attractions in Arizona,"

directly under the

"Come walk on the dark side of the bridge. 2000 years of gruesome history to

hear and eerie residual energy to experience. People have been touched.

Mysterious voices have been heard. Great ghost pictures have been taken.

Tourists, snowbirds, and even locals will be absolutely amazed at the jaw

dropping events that have occurred on this very bridge. No tricks or cheesy

urban legends, because the truth is chilling enough." lead in... Put Jacks line under that.

"Interest in paranormal activity is expected to increase as Lake Havasu City organizers

plan an elaborate celebration in October 2011 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of

what has become the city’s signature attraction, considered the “world’s largest antique”

by Guinness World Records. (For more information: golakehavasu.com)"

should get moved down and centered over

"The 40th anniversary of the London bridge" tag.

"When visiting Lake Havasu City, be sure and take The London Bridge Historical Ghost Walk presented by

your host, story teller, Sir Gothic Graves. The tour begins every evening of the week at 8:30 pm ---$15 per

person $20 per couple Children 10 years old and younger Free."

should get moved to over the reservations blip.

Include more information about the tour itself. A general time of day/night, length of the tour, if it's a walking tour or not. If there is any type of age restriction. If the route you take is handicapped accessible or not. If food/beverages are allowed or not. If not, if there is anywhere nearby to get such things. Put all that under the reservations blip.

Also, make sure you put in directions on how to get there. I know that sounds stupid, but I mean general map locations, like the major highways to get to it.

You could also put all that kind of tour information into your "Questions" header.

At least a few of the "hot spots" you cover in the tour should be mentioned too. You can probably make those center filler with your tour pics.. Maybe make them clickable with background information on some of them.

Pictures- I would recommend using images of the bridge itself on the main page, at least at the top. It would help people positively identify the place. Use tour pics further down or on a different part of the site.

I would also recommend fleshing in your "about us" and "our team" sooner rather than later. Add a "guestbook" header for people to say they have been there, and have a customer review option attached to it.

Please keep in mind I am not trying to slam you or your site in any way by saying all of this. I think if ya got as much material and time put into this as you say you do... You probably have more than plenty to put up a solid site with a lot of historical action and spooky attraction.

So, website suggestions...

Personally, I think adding in a historically correct timeline to your website would be neat. If you are going to use pre 1824 history, include maps of the different locations of the bridges, that would be cool. Maybe maps of the tragic events too, like the area consumed by the 1666 fire, and where Jacks victims were found.

I would probably take out the youtube video of the TV movie slideshow. If you use videos and don't embed them, put up a warning that clicking on the link will take the person off your website. Well, lol, if you use any sites, put up the warning that clicking it will take you off your website. Especially if you are using text instead of an obvious banner for it.

Make the line "Does the London Bridge harbor the ghost of Jack the Ripper?" clickable with Jacks information under it.

Yep, put in captions for the pictures.

I would shift your layout into something a bit more centered and columned. The wandering back and forth of text and pics can get pretty distracting instead of leading the eye to information.

Stick to fewer changes between font types and sizes. Too much of that tends to distract rather than lead too.

And I dunno if it's just the way the page loads for me, or if it's something with the way you have the page set up.. But your top right hand text column runs right over the first row of pictures, obscuring the right hand one.

I would put the "Ghost sightings at the bridge are common. The first ghosts were sighted

there during the dedication ceremony in 1971. Several visitors

commented on seeing Victorian-costumed characters walking the

bridge that day; however, there were not any Victorian-era actors taking

part in the ceremony.

A British police bobby has been reported patrolling the bridge, and a

woman in a black dress is often seen at night. Visitors and tourists

walking on the bridge have reported being passed by orbs, and others

claim to have been bumped by unseen pedestrians.

Today, Lake Havasu's London Bridge is one of the most popular tourist

attractions in Arizona,"

directly under the

"Come walk on the dark side of the bridge. 2000 years of gruesome history to

hear and eerie residual energy to experience. People have been touched.

Mysterious voices have been heard. Great ghost pictures have been taken.

Tourists, snowbirds, and even locals will be absolutely amazed at the jaw

dropping events that have occurred on this very bridge. No tricks or cheesy

urban legends, because the truth is chilling enough." lead in... Put Jacks line under that.

"Interest in paranormal activity is expected to increase as Lake Havasu City organizers

plan an elaborate celebration in October 2011 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of

what has become the city’s signature attraction, considered the “world’s largest antique”

by Guinness World Records. (For more information: golakehavasu.com)"

should get moved down and centered over

"The 40th anniversary of the London bridge" tag.

"When visiting Lake Havasu City, be sure and take The London Bridge Historical Ghost Walk presented by

your host, story teller, Sir Gothic Graves. The tour begins every evening of the week at 8:30 pm ---$15 per

person $20 per couple Children 10 years old and younger Free."

should get moved to over the reservations blip.

Include more information about the tour itself. A general time of day/night, length of the tour, if it's a walking tour or not. If there is any type of age restriction. If the route you take is handicapped accessible or not. If food/beverages are allowed or not. If not, if there is anywhere nearby to get such things. Put all that under the reservations blip.

Also, make sure you put in directions on how to get there. I know that sounds stupid, but I mean general map locations, like the major highways to get to it.

You could also put all that kind of tour information into your "Questions" header.

At least a few of the "hot spots" you cover in the tour should be mentioned too. You can probably make those center filler with your tour pics.. Maybe make them clickable with background information on some of them.

Pictures- I would recommend using images of the bridge itself on the main page, at least at the top. It would help people positively identify the place. Use tour pics further down or on a different part of the site.

I would also recommend fleshing in your "about us" and "our team" sooner rather than later. Add a "guestbook" header for people to say they have been there, and have a customer review option attached to it.

Please keep in mind I am not trying to slam you or your site in any way by saying all of this. I think if ya got as much material and time put into this as you say you do... You probably have more than plenty to put up a solid site with a lot of historical action and spooky attraction.

No I don't take this stuff personal believe me I've been slammed by the best.The above description pretty much describes our old website which was up on the web for quite a long time as I said we were in a hurry to slam up information and were working on the website. But be sure to check back make sure were doing a good job we try to do the best we can with the information that we have.When people take the tour they love it the history of the London Bridge is fascinating. Paranormal teams come from all over the country they bring their toys and they pretty much campout they have a blast.We do try to keep the tour real as much as possible you do understand it's a business and we need to earn money so the tour has to be entertaining also.We allow people To use our toys tape recorders for EVP's and Gauss meters so they can hunt down ghost like on TV. I enjoy the bridge and the paranormal activity there so I never have to go to work I do what I love. Thank you for your comments

I knew you were from England even before I looked to see where you were from. I love that you said that you guys suckered McCulloch in the by the bridge you actually say that he thought he was buying the tower bridge and that he bought the wrong bridge. I know you guys really believe that you see people from England and London come to Lake Havasu all the time and they take the tour of London Bridge and they all say the same thing but after the tour it's a different story they understand that Mr. McCulloch was a multi-billionaire.Removing the London Bridge from the River Thames loaded it on barges and brought it on a 10,000 mile open sea trip without even looking at the bridge without measuring the bridge without figuring out the way to move the bridge. He did not buy it over the phone unseen.but this is the same old stuff that they always say let's talk about something new I'm tired of the same old stories

Thanks Graves

If you re-read my post you'll see I made no reference to 'suckering' anybody because I know that didn't happen, although the vast majority of tourists think they're going to see Tower Bridge. I was merely stating that the Arizona bridge is a reinforced concrete structure clad in the original masonry of the 1830s bridge and not the entire edifice throughout. To my way of thinking that makes it about as authentic as the pyramids and the Eiffel tower in Las Vegas! Sorry.

Edited by ealdwita

If you re-read my post you'll see I made no reference to 'suckering' anybody because I know that didn't happen, although the vast majority of tourists think they're going to see Tower Bridge. I was merely stating that the Arizona bridge is a reinforced concrete structure clad in the original masonry of the 1830s bridge and not the entire edifice throughout. To my way of thinking that makes it about as authentic as the pyramids and the Eiffel tower in Las Vegas! Sorry.

You are truly entitled to your opinion but I am also entitled to mine. I thank you for your comments.

Hey :) ...thanks for sharing the pics and information on the original London Bridge, those ghosts can't leave the bridge alone and remain stuck with them when the bridge was taken apart, transported to America and reconstructed in the middle of the desert (well, a river runs through it). I wonder the spring breakers whom come by Lake Havasu every year seen something strange over the bridge or around the vicinity, like the island the London Bridge connects to. I seen the map of Lake Havasu and the island is in Arizona, while the other side is California...and being a Californian, I find the bridge owners unfavored us. LOL. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey :) ...thanks for sharing the pics and information on the original London Bridge, those ghosts can't leave the bridge alone and remain stuck with them when the bridge was taken apart, transported to America and reconstructed in the middle of the desert (well, a river runs through it). I wonder the spring breakers whom come by Lake Havasu every year seen something strange over the bridge or around the vicinity, like the island the London Bridge connects to. I seen the map of Lake Havasu and the island is in Arizona, while the other side is California...and being a Californian, I find the bridge owners unfavored us. LOL. :lol:

You're quite welcome for the pictures. I have accumulated quite a few over the years. I've done a 8 year paranormal investigation on the London Bridge and there a lot of spirits with it not to mention the ones in the old English village.Yes the island used to be a peninsula and when we bought the London Bridge we actually maybe the canal for the bridge.The bridge was definitely the center of attraction in London for a very long period of time and it is definitely the center of attraction here in Lake Havasu.The bridge is truly magnificent and as far as All you Californians come on over here to party and you're quite welcome to come we welcome people here from all over world not just in California but our neighbors are truly welcome here and if you have found our hospitality to be lacking. I do apologize but the next time you come over from California give us a call and come on the tour and we will show you some good old-fashioned Arizona hospitality. Oh and by the way the city owns the bridge.

• 3 months later...

In a nutshell we cover the 2000 year history of the London bridge and considering that the rain London Bridge is less than 200 years old. I would say yes we do cover information prior to 1824 but the rainy London Bridge was open August 10 of 1831.Yes there have been several unfortunate incidences that have occurred on the London Bridge since it was moved here from London.As far as Jack the Ripper goes he killed all the girls and Whitechapel.But the rainy London Bridge was not closed to Whitechapel it was the only bridge that went directly into Whitechapel.The connection between the rainy London Bridge and Jack the Ripper is an old one he most likely use the bridge to travel from west London to Whitechapel and vice versa.Your comment the great fire of London and its connection to the rainy bridge in 1666 That would be the Colchurch London Bridge Built around 1174.The connections are the plague pits.The London Bridge plague pit was at the and the bridge on the right-hand side in Whitechapel in the 1600s they were using seven plague pits and they were burning corpses to the tune of 10,000 people a day.But in 1832 when cholera broke out one year after the rainy bridge was opened they dug open the London Bridge plague pit and were burning corpses and it to the tune of 900 a day.They were storing corpses on the bridge and in the bridge oh you know it is hollow.My website we put it up in a hurry this particular website has only been up for a few weeks. I'm working on it so please forgive me however the website I had up before this with was 20,000 pages of information sorry you missed it.We have gathered information on paranormal activity and unexplained sightings on the rainy London Bridge in Arizona for eight years yes we have a lot of stuff. The London Bridge is incredible it is steeped in history it is definitely haunted

Thank you Graves

Casting thread necro....

Firstly, despite you saying you have visited London, I assume you did so without either a compass or looking at even the most basic of maps:

London Bridge, both in it's current incarnation and the previous structures, Has always crossed the Thames North/South, therefore making any crossing that would "use the bridge to travel from west London to Whitechapel and vice versa" impossible. Combine this with the fact that West London would take considerable more than a bridge to reach it if travelling from Whitechapel and you can see how your statement concerning this makes very little sense.

Your link between the fire of 1661 and the bridge found near you is tenuous at best, considering the nearest plague pit to that bridge's location would have been on what is now Cambridge Heath Road, which near Bethnal Green tube station and a fair distance from the river. The plague pits around the area of London Bridge actually date from the 14th Century and were never reused at a later date, either 17th or 19th Century.

I'm sure you enjoy spicing up your tours with a bit of spurious information, but you could at least try and get a bit of basic directional and historical date based information right.

Lol necro :)

I don't think the OP cared too much for accuracy so much as utilizing anything that might help out his haunt tour. Other inaccuracies were pointed out to him in this thread and he seemed to kind of blow them off.

Anywho, the OP hasn't been on the site in a couple months so it's probably unlikely he's coming back to check this thread again.