Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Efforts to Ban Circumcision Gain Traction

Persia

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — When a group of activists proposed banning circumcision in San Francisco last fall, many people simply brushed them aside. Even in that liberal seaside city, it seemed implausible that thousands of people would support an effort to outlaw an ancient ritual that Jews and Muslims believe fulfills a commandment issued by God.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/us/05circumcision.html

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• bacca

• Kelbie25

• H.H. Holmes

That woman in the photo has her ear pierced, how dare she mutilate her body! :rofl:

Really though, this whole thing is ridiculous. They call is "genital mutilation" but they have no idea what that actually is. There are many countries where female genital mutilation is common place, and it involves removing or destroying entire parts of the female genitals. Unlike male circumcision, female genital mutilation is horribly damaging and destructive. Why not focus their efforts on something like this that's actually a problem, instead of attacking a minor procedure that is often tied to religious beliefs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_cutting

That woman in the photo has her ear pierced, how dare she mutilate her body! :rofl:

Really though, this whole thing is ridiculous. They call is "genital mutilation" but they have no idea what that actually is. There are many countries where female genital mutilation is common place, and it involves removing or destroying entire parts of the female genitals. Unlike male circumcision, female genital mutilation is horribly damaging and destructive. Why not focus their efforts on something like this that's actually a problem, instead of attacking a minor procedure that is often tied to religious beliefs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_cutting

Circumcision can lead to infections and even if done wrong enough, loss of the penis as a whole.

I digress, the Muslim and Jewish groups should just simmer down. They may say it's their right to circumcise their children, but I think the child's right to have the option of having their genitals completely intact takes more of a priority.

Of course is male circumcision by far not as bad as female, but it's still mutilation!

Edited by FLOMBIE

I would be a moderate supporter of banning male circumcision. I don't feel strongly enough against it to go protesting, but I'd vote to have it banned.

At the very least ban having it done before the age of 14, that way the kid is actually aware of the consequences and can make an informed decision.

There can be problems if a circumcision is not done that would cause it to have to be done as an adult as well, so using problems as an example to not do it seems to cancel itself out...but as a basic thing this is a parent decision, other people have no business deciding what I do in that manner if I have a son...Should people get permission before they get plastic surgery for their children or dental surgery? or is this deciding for others what should or should not be to their own children going to be limited to this? It could be an awfully slippery slope...but that's just my opinion

There can be problems if a circumcision is not done that would cause it to have to be done as an adult as well, so using problems as an example to not do it seems to cancel itself out...

Yes, but then that risk is the adult's decision.

but as a basic thing this is a parent decision, other people have no business deciding what I do in that manner if I have a son...

But should it be? Why should a parent make a choice about a child's body that can potentially affect the child for the rest of their life?

Should people get permission before they get plastic surgery for their children or dental surgery? or is this deciding for others what should or should not be to their own children going to be limited to this? It could be an awfully slippery slope...but that's just my opinion

I'm not sure about plastic surgery, but dental surgery is often required and important. There's very few actual reasons for circumcision. And it's not others deciding what's good for your own children, it's giving the ability for the kid to make the decision. Why should you make such a decision for your child?

All this aside, I'd like to clarify I don't really care what people do with their genitals, but it should ultimately be the person's decision in my opinion, not their parents. This is not really a case of "Baww, dah gov'ment tell me what to do wit ma babby", but more of a case of preventing a pointless medical procedure done against someone's wishes.

Oh for the love of pete, the government needs to get out of people's pants. I'm sorry, but this is a parent's choice and I think Americans do too much obsessing over sex. Let's also ban ear piercing, tattoos, boob jobs and everything else that's considered mutilation too.

Every guy I have been in a relationship with was circumsized, not a single one of them thought anything about it one way or another.

Oh for the love of pete, the government needs to get out of people's pants. I'm sorry, but this is a parent's choice and I think Americans do too much obsessing over sex. Let's also ban ear piercing, tattoos, boob jobs and everything else that's considered mutilation too.

Every guy I have been in a relationship with was circumsized, not a single one of them thought anything about it one way or another.

here's a difference:

In the cases of ear piercings, tattoos, and boob jobs are voluntary by the person, whereas the parent is choosing this for their child. if a child grew up with a circumcised penis, they'll not know anything different.

It's found that the foreskin carries a good deal of the sense organs on the penis.

Also, part of the thing making some folks uncomfortable is the tradition of Jewish Rabbis to suck on the penis of just circumcised lads.

Edited by ShadowSot

Why should it be the parent's choice? It's the child's body.

Let's also ban ear piercing, tattoos, boob jobs and everything else that's considered mutilation too.

Aren't tattoos and boob jobs generally restricted until the person having them reaches a valid age of consent?

Aren't tattoos and boob jobs generally restricted until the person having them reaches a valid age of consent?

parents can legally get tattoos and piercing for their children. I've known a couple of parents that had their one month old 's ears pierced.

So it is no different then a circumcision

Edited by SilverCougar

parents can legally get tattoos and piercing for their children. I've known a couple of parents that had their one month old 's ears pierced.

So it is no different then a circumcision

I disagree with getting young children's ears pierced without their consent, but that's in an entirely different league then circumcision. Maybe if you were having the earlobes removed they could be compared.

Well then a parent should not be allowed to make the decision to get a child immunizations because there is a possibility of it causing problems!! Also a parent should not be allowed to force a child to go to school or eat vegetables...It's insane, a parent makes a choice on millions of things for their children why anyone thinks that this should be any different I don't understand...

Are you really comparing circumcision to vaccinations or even going to school? :unsure2:

A vaccination can save you from terrible diseases, some of them are even mandatory in Germany. School is the most important institution we are attending. A circumcision is only an aesthetic surgery these days.

Are you really comparing circumcision to vaccinations or even going to school? :unsure2:

A vaccination can save you from terrible diseases, some of them are even mandatory in Germany. School is the most important institution we are attending. A circumcision is only an aesthetic surgery these days.

It is still a choice that a parent makes FOR the child...no matter what YOU feel is important that should not FORCE or PREVENT me from making the choice for my child, if vaccination was so important then why not FORCE people to get that done instead of worrying about who is or isn't circumcising their sons and what reasons they have to want it done, that choice is not for anyone but the parent

It is still a choice that a parent makes FOR the child...no matter what YOU feel is important that should not FORCE or PREVENT me from making the choice for my child, if vaccination was so important then why not FORCE people to get that done instead of worrying about who is or isn't circumcising their sons and what reasons they have to want it done, that choice is not for anyone but the parent

So... important health decision is equivalent to slicing off a useful part of a person's penis for vanity reasons?

Is it really for the child? Or more for the parents (fathers) to not look different than their sons?

Now what's it doing FOR the child? In comparison to vaccinations and school.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Is it really for the child? Or more for the parents (fathers) to not look different than their sons?

What do you guys do...whip them out and say ain't he the spittin' image of his ol' dad?

The point is that it doesn't matter what reason's people have and they don't need to explain them to anyone! If you don't like it or don't feel it is needed then fine if you have son's don't have it done...but just because some people feel it isn't needed or wouldn't want one etc that is not a reason to say that other people now can't decide that for themselves...what makes you qualified to make decisions for me and my family?

What do you guys do...whip them out and say ain't he the spittin' image of his ol' dad?

Oddest family photo album. ever.

The point is that it doesn't matter what reason's people have and they don't need to explain them to anyone! If you don't like it or don't feel it is needed then fine if you have son's don't have it done...but just because some people feel it isn't needed or wouldn't want one etc that is not a reason to say that other people now can't decide that for themselves...what makes you qualified to make decisions for me and my family?

But why is the circumcision of your son so important for you?

Again I don't need to explain to you or anyone why I would or wouldn't have it done to my son...But I do have a question for all you men who are wanting it have it banned...How did having it done TO YOU as an adult change your life? What made YOU have it done? If you haven't PERSONALLY had it done as an adult and you are the same way you have been since you were a child then you really don't know if it would or would not have an affect on you now would you?

I have a friend who had to have a circumcision after a car accident. He was very unhappy for about two years, until he started forgetting how the feeling was before. Now he is OK with it, although he knows it is not as good as before.