Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shroud of Turin created by famous artist

Still Waters

An art expert is at the centre of a Dan Brown-style mystery after claiming the Shroud of Turin was made by Italian artist Giotto.

For centuries the Shroud of Turin, which is said to be the burial cloth of Christ, has been venerated by Roman Catholics and is one of the Church's holiest relics.

However there has often been scepticism about its origins with many suggesting it is a clever medieval fake - but no-one has ever come up with the theory that the great painter Giotto was behind it.

After months of careful examination of photographs of the Shroud - the relic is kept locked away and not available to be viewed unless on special occasions - Luciano Buso has come up with an idea worthy of a Da Vinci Code thriller.

He says that several veiled appearances of the number 15, hidden in the fabric by the artist, indicate Giotto created the Shroud in 1315 - and that it is a copy of the original which had been damaged and was then lost over the centuries.

Giotto's was perhaps the best known artist of his time and was made famous for his decoration of the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua, the fresco that depicts the life of the Virgin Mary and Christ.

Mr Buso's insists that 700 years ago it was common practice for artists to insert partial dates into their works so as to guarantee their authenticity and it was known only to a handful of people so as to avoid forgeries.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lych05

• diablo_04

• Paracelse

• None of the above

I'm sure that an artist who was recreating such a significant relic would have put little numbers all over it.

Seriously, why would he be concerned about forgery? It's not a painting.

Edited by Soul Kitchen

I found it interesting the nails seems to go threw his wrists on the shroud,

in most art they go threw his hands. It could be art people invest to much in

this it doesn't prove Jesus was god one way or the other and we're called to

faith so they will never be proof.

I do believe that Jesus lived and was crucified. Was he the son of God? . Well if this shroud is from a crucified man,the odds are that it was not His shroud. Was there ever a shroud,well maybe not if this Giotto was asked to make one.Was this the invention of the Pope of the day.

I guess we could ask Mary Magdalene, she was the first at the tomb and she's living with Jesus in Australia, they should probably know what happened to the shroud. ;)

Seriously though, it is an interesting relic. I don't know what it proves, if anything. Just another roadside attraction.

Edited by Taut

Didnt they think that they were given samples at first from a repaired piece...?..one of the original testers who was American re tested the carbon dating and that it was possible it came from the time christ was put on the cross....?

The scientific world will newer consider that this shroud is from Jesus itself....because science do not believe in religion, for them its all made up( they wil newer take fairytale god in consideration for an answer). The truth is you can't prove that the shrouds belong to Jesus, they will always find a other rational answer that will follow the principle of science to expand the existence of this shroud that will have a really simple logic behind the answer.

lych05 is right. The first c-14 dating was done on a piece that was right next to a repair. What they later found out was that earlier restorations used a process where they unravel the existing fabric and lace in the repair. So the piece that was c-14 dated was somewhere between a quarter and a half of the fibers being Modern (or at least not as old as the main body of the Shroud).

Edited by DieChecker

Scientists keep debunking this myth, but the "true believers" continue to believe.

Try this simple experiment at home...

Take a statue or bust or any 3d object with a definite shape and coat it with paint. Drape a soft, absorbent cloth over the object. If needed, press the cloth onto the object to ensure it comes into contact with the paint. Remove the cloth, turn it over and look at the image you've created.

It won't be the perfectly proportional image that we see on the shroud. The image will be distorted because the visual proportion will have been thrown off.

The shroud couldn't have been created the way the "true believers" say that it was.

lych05 is right. The first c-14 dating was done on a piece that was right next to a repair. What they later found out was that earlier restorations used a process where they unravel the existing fabric and lace in the repair. So the piece that was c-14 dated was somewhere between a quarter and a half of the fibers being Modern (or at least not as old as the main body of the Shroud).

thought so..thanks...i think the guy died shortly after

When Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince announced in their "Turin Shroud: in Who's Image" Leonardo da Vinci did the Shroud through basic photography method, involving lemon juice urine and other ingredient, I was skeptic. When an Australian professor proved contact photo could have been done in the XVI th century, I started to think about it. Then other papers were found... see for yourself.

http://www.rleggat.com/photohistory/history/cameraob.htm

When Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince announced in their "Turin Shroud: in Who's Image" Leonardo da Vinci did the Shroud through basic photography method, involving lemon juice urine and other ingredient, I was skeptic. When an Australian professor proved contact photo could have been done in the XVI th century, I started to think about it. Then other papers were found... see for yourself.

http://www.rleggat.com/photohistory/history/cameraob.htm

When one of the original carbon dating testers went back to it they found that it was well possible of being earlier...that doesnt mean it is Jesus but it was earlier than the first tests....it was an american guy who at first said he was going back to it too finally lay to rest any doubt that it wasnt a medieval fake but did find that they originally had tested a repaired piece...im sure its on the internet somewhere...nobody will ever really know if it was real but it does give it a chance of being earlier than first thought

Edited by lych05

These "SO CALLED EXPERTS" along with scientists couldn't find their way out of a room with an open exit in each wall!!!!!!

When one of the original carbon dating testers went back to it they found that it was well possible of being earlier...that doesnt mean it is Jesus but it was earlier than the first tests....it was an american guy who at first said he was going back to it too finally lay to rest any doubt that it wasnt a medieval fake but did find that they originally had tested a repaired piece...im sure its on the internet somewhere...nobody will ever really know if it was real but it does give it a chance of being earlier than first thought

If I recall several carbon dating were done (none of which came identical depending on who funded the dating), some analyses of the tissues samples were done suggesting a middle Eastern linen, and also some research was done on some pollen found on the shroud. Doesn't prove a thing. The shroud represent a man who's about 6' tall, whereas from what we know of JC, he was about 4'8" to 5' tall... Did he stretch somehow?

Furthermore, the shroud shows a distinct dotted pattern around the neck. To my knowledge, there was no ropes or anything sharp around JC's neck.

I don't beleive in the Shroud of Turin, but assassins creed has a pretty awesome look at it.

Google "Shroud of Turin Assassins Creed." Crazy conspiracy theories are interesting at times.

Should also take note that since the artist was born in Florence and did a lot of work there, this will likely be implanted into the new game.

Edited by marharthm

If I recall several carbon dating were done (none of which came identical depending on who funded the dating), some analyses of the tissues samples were done suggesting a middle Eastern linen, and also some research was done on some pollen found on the shroud. Doesn't prove a thing. The shroud represent a man who's about 6' tall, whereas from what we know of JC, he was about 4'8" to 5' tall... Did he stretch somehow?

Furthermore, the shroud shows a distinct dotted pattern around the neck. To my knowledge, there was no ropes or anything sharp around JC's neck.

I never stated it was Jesus Christ...i just stated that the original scientist that did the dating for Arizona University went back to it to back up peoples claims of it being from the Middle Ages and found that there was enough evidence to think that it was from earlier than they thought ..he video recorded all his findings as at the time he was dying of cancer i think...his colleagues at the time backed him up also .....the carbon dating was sent to 3 universities to get an average date and i think they varied 200 yrs or more but they were all working together....I personally dont think its JC..

These "SO CALLED EXPERTS" along with scientists couldn't find their way out of a room with an open exit in each wall!!!!!!

If you could do better then good for you...give it a try cause i personally wouldn't know where to start...i just read reports of the findings..

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

(Nietzsche)

scientists want another sample.....i hope it was not the shroud of Jesus.... we will have a cloned Jesus soon if it is authentic. the church is right to keep it away from those people.

scientists want another sample.....i hope it was not the shroud of Jesus.... we will have a cloned Jesus soon if it is authentic. the church is right to keep it away from those people.

lol dude you can't clone someone like that, you need a live cells :hmm:

Wait people are still debating this thing? Check this out. These are flat globes. You'll notice how the shape of the globe is mauled because a three dimensional object can't just be translated to a flat surface and hold the original shape. The same would occur if you tried to transfer the human body onto a flat surface. The only way you could make a death shroud like that look human would be to lay it in the exact way it was when the person was laying under it holding it up.

interupt.jpg

_wsb_460x211_Flat+Globe+Negative.jpg

400_F_2651500_i3VOmWuekU1y5gvfu1G8jqjTq6hnXC.jpg

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

If anyone would like to see the best documentary on the image on the shroud should view "The Real Face of Jesus" on the National Geographic Channel. This image is a negative which on its own would be difficult to fake. In addition, the image on the shroud contains 3 dimensional data encoded in the image. This would be nearly impossible to accomplish today much less in the 14th or 15th century. I really have no horse in this race since I do not worship the shroud. I would just like to see the scientists that "debunked" the shroud during their first examination will admit that mistakes were made, especially with the sample they collected for carbon dating. It has been demonstrated the section they took from the shroud was not original because it was weaved in during a repair after fire damage in the 14th century. It is a very interesting documentary and I believe that the scientists that did the investigation were completely blown away after decoding the 3D data.

Edited by PowerPC

Who wouldn't want to claim the artwork as their own? Think of the media attention they would get? And if they are already an established artist, it could help them sell more of their artwork

The Holy Shroud of Turin, one of the most venerated objects of Christianity, was made by Italian pre-Renaissance artistic great Giotto, an Italian expert says.

arrow3.gifRead more...