Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shuttle docked with ISS images

maca02

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MID

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Picturesque Orion

• Taut

Wow.

Wow.

I'd say that's a good word.

These views are the very first ever of the ISS with a Shuttle docked to it.

They were taken by Paolo Nespoli (ESA-Italy), Expedition 27 Flight Engineer, from the Soyuz spacecraft shortly after undocking a few weeks ago.

He did a spectacular job!

:tu:

Edited by MID

I'd say that's a good word.

These views are the very first ever of the ISS with a Shuttle docked to it.

They were taken by Paolo Nespoli (ESA-Italy), Expedition 27 Flight Engineer, from the Soyuz spacecraft shortly after undocking a few weeks ago.

He did a spectacular job!

Wow indeed.

Makes you think how far we have gotten, it has sure been quite a journey captain.

"Ground Control to Major Tom..." We have ourselves a visual.

The station looks great.

Edited by Alex01

Now if only we had a replacement for the Shuttles, we could do this again sometime ;)

Now if only we had a replacement for the Shuttles, we could do this again sometime ;)

We do. Their called UFO's. Come on USA, break them out! :alien:

Wow indeed.

Makes you think how far we have gotten, it has sure been quite a journey captain.

Indeed so Alex...indeed so!

And what an amazing place the station truly is!

Now imagine if all the money spent on war could be used for space exploration instead.

That's a big station.

Compare this image of Endeavour docked to the ISS to the one below it of Atlantis docked to Mir.

557674mainiss027e036801.jpg

61526mainimagefeature18.jpg

The Mir image was taken on 5th July 1995 by the Mir 19 crew (who had launched aboard Atlantis) of Commander Anatoly Solovyev and Flight Engineer Nikolai Budarin moments before Atlantis undocked. The Russians undocked their Soyuz TM-21 spacecaft just to obtain these images, and redocked later. At that time the Mir station + Atlantis constituted the most massive complex ever constructed in space.

Mir was not quite complete at the time, the Priroda module and Shuttle docking compartment had yet to be added. Also the shuttle is docked to the Kristall module. This had been relocated to the front docking port on the Mir so that shuttles could avoid colliding with the stations solar panels. Once the docking compartment was added Kristall was moved back to a side port. So, although no at it's most massive, this image does depict Mir in it's longest configuration.

Getting back to the new photos, I think my favourite out of these has to be the one below, showing the complex against the blackness of space with the blue of Earth below. A beautiful shot.

557885mainiss027e036716.jpg

Unique Video Shows Shuttle Endeavour at ISS

8 Jun 2011

Newly released video shows the International Space Station together with the space shuttle, the vehicle that helped build the complex over the last decade. The video was shot by European Space Agency astronaut Paolo Nespoli from the Russian Soyuz spacecraft that undocked from the station on May 23. He, Russian cosmonaut Dmitry Kondratyev and NASA astronaut Cady Coleman were departing the station for a return to Earth after five months on the station. Nespoli documented the station from a distance of 600 feet as it was rotated 130 degrees.

Source: NASAtelevision - YouTube

Getting back to the new photos, I think my favourite out of these has to be the one below, showing the complex against the blackness of space with the blue of Earth below. A beautiful shot.

557885mainiss027e036716.jpg

Agreed. Absolutely beautiful.

One of those frame it and hang it on the wall photos. Something the next generation will never know...

It still makes ones Soul Reach out to More ! NASA Did a wonderful Job as All there efforts into our Exploration of our Future !

I can Look at these images for many hours and See the Minds and Work of all our dedicated people connected with our Space Programs ! Well Done NASA again! :tu:

Edited by DONTEATUS

Well Done NASA again! :tu:

When you look at these images DONTEATUS, you shouldn't just be saying "well done NASA", you are looking at the minds and work of all the dedicated people of NASA, Roscosmos, ESA and JAXA.

And the Canadian Space Agency as well!

And all these folks--

477px-ISS_Agreements.jpg

And the Canadian Space Agency as well!

I knew I'd forgotten someone. Sorry Canada.