Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iranian Women Soccer Banned From Olympics

MissMelsWell

But in football players tend to pull a lot. Pulling on shirts, necklaces (which are not allowed) and of course head scarfs and neck bands.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FLOMBIE

• danielost

• MissMelsWell

• SHaYap

*facepalm* Growing up with a professional womens soccer athlete, I find that FIFA's "rule" is baseless. There is no safety issue here. They can say it is, but that doesn't make it true. Women here play in winter with turtlenecks ALL the time. LOTS of other sports wear a neck and headcover just like those pictured, much more dangerous sports.

Still not buying it.

I do think it could be a safty hazzard that could lead to lawsuits. Plus it can only impair a players ability. What happens whn the scarf slips or becomes loose. The compitition will be more concerned about fixing the head gear rather than playing the game. This is a game not a religious display.

But in football players tend to pull a lot. Pulling on shirts, necklaces (which are not allowed) and of course head scarfs and neck bands.

Football is not a pansy sport and I agree with you. It can get rough out there.

the clue to why fifa is doing this is in this paragraph and it has nothing to do with safety or sex

In April 2010, FIFA announced that it was planning to ban headscarves and other religious attire during the 2012 Olympics.

And that's right. Sports and religion should be secluded. Politics and sports, too. They should forbid the players to pray on pitch as well.

the clue to why fifa is doing this is in this paragraph and it has nothing to do with safety or sex

In April 2010, FIFA announced that it was planning to ban headscarves and other religious attire during the 2012 Olympics.

It is a safty issue but as you state religion on the playing feild as a show peice should not be allowed.

Asking god to help win in any sport is funny at best.

Many football players are superstitious (I hope I spelled this correctly). I've heard about that so many times from football players themselves. Maybe that's the reason why they want to pray on the pitch, or be more religious than usually.

Regarding the topic, I think that with banning Iranian soccer team, FIFA is succumbing to world politics, and leaving the sport values behind. If the Iranian women want to be strangled on the pitch, let them be, it's their own choice. Imagine that some Arab country organizes a tennis cup where they would ban any female tennis player for wearing unnecessarily short skirt? I mean, dress code in sports is OK, but having THAT many regulations is stupid. Western peoples like to wear slutty, who cares, it's their own choice. Middle-Eastern people like to wear long cloth, with heads covered - their own choice.

Anyways, did anyone think that those "safety reasons" may mean that FIFA is scared of Iranian women carrying a BOMB under the head-scarf?

And let's be honest, FIFA is nothing more than a globalist organization which is rotten to the core, I mean just look at the people who run it. I can almost sense evil presence in my room every time I see them on TV...

Edited by theDragon

You don't wear headgear when you're playing a sport which requires you to control the ball with your head, especially under challenges from opposition players. A keeper can use his hands.

Scenario: Cup Final

Commentator: That's a great cross from Britney on the wing. Rosie jumps with Jessica but oh dear.... Rosie's hat has fallen over her face and she's headed the post.

Anyway... the basic rules have been clear for years and everyone learns them when they are just kids.

A player doesn't wear anything on his head, round his neck or on his hands... apart from the woolly gloves that those big-girl's-blouses wear when it's sooooo cold.

Well OK, who cares. Those Iranian women won't play football anymore, so what. They can study and become doctors instead. More noble job, and good for the community as well. If FIFA doesn't want them, why would they change their tradition just to succumb to some men's rules? Forcing the woman not to wear hijab is the same like forcing a woman to wear it. It's everyone's personal choice to wear it or not to wear it.

Those look more like bodysuits with tight-fitted hoodies to me.

It is a safty issue but as you state religion on the playing feild as a show peice should not be allowed.

Asking god to help win in any sport is funny at best.

the point is their not banning headscarf's. they banning headscarf's of religious background. guess it is a good thing the Iranians didn't insist their women were burkas.

by the way is Canada so scared that they don't want the other side asking for help from an "imaginary" being. that makes Canadians chicken right.

you will note that i am now standing up for the muslims and you are the one being anti muslim.

Edited by danielost

I do think it could be a safty hazzard that could lead to lawsuits. Plus it can only impair a players ability. What happens whn the scarf slips or becomes loose. The compitition will be more concerned about fixing the head gear rather than playing the game. This is a game not a religious display.

Look at it though! It's not a scarf. It's like what speedskaters wear; more or less a shirt with a hood. It is so tight fitting that there's no way it can come loose. Besides in other divisions they wear these all the time. In this case it's just FIFA and the Olympics alone. It's not like this is the first time these ladies have worn headscarves to play soccer in. They've worn them their entire playing career.

I been thinking about this and although originally dismissive of these girl's plight I've changed my mind after seeing them in tears. (Am a sucker for tears)

Seriously, If a player can get dispensation for wearing something for health reasons, why not apply the same courtesy to the Iranian athletes who have no choice in their attire. "Sporting" also means fair.

(So why is God so concerned about what females wear? Or is it the insecure men who just don't want any other men looking at their "property"?)

I been thinking about this and although originally dismissive of these girl's plight I've changed my mind after seeing them in tears. (Am a sucker for tears)

Seriously, If a player can get dispensation for wearing something for health reasons, why not apply the same courtesy to the Iranian athletes who have no choice in their attire. "Sporting" also means fair.

(So why is God so concerned about what females wear? Or is it the insecure men who just don't want any other men looking at their "property"?)

Precisely, those ladies can't change their country, and their country is unwilling to change that is NOT these ladies fault they have no choice. FIFA has a choice.

How much you want to bet that some ladies team showed up for a game wearing mini skirts and trunks like cheerleaders, FIFA wouldn't say much about it.

Edited by MissMelsWell

I am not so sure about that. After all they forbid Cameroon to play in sleeveless kits.

the big sport attire providers will not be paying the big bucks if teams wearing attires are not showing their logos.

What if more teams wants to wear their "personal" designs and such teams plays well enough to play in the finals?

FIFA wont be rolling in the fancy money and the big sports attire manufacturers would not pay

the big sport attire providers will not be paying the big bucks if teams wearing attires are not showing their logos.

What if more teams wants to wear their "personal" designs and such teams plays well enough to play in the finals?

FIFA wont be rolling in the fancy money and the big sports attire manufacturers would not pay

women wearing scarfs would have more space to put logos on than those not wearing them.

as i pointed out they banned religious attire not non-religious attire.

women wearing scarfs would have more space to put logos on than those not wearing them.

as i pointed out they banned religious attire not non-religious attire.

They wont be designing fancy scarfs with their logos just so the women can show less skin and be less sexy to the "worldwide" audience

For your info, scarfs are not "religious" attire , it is a custom of a conservative culture, that's why wearing it is a "choice"

They wont be designing fancy scarfs with their logos just so the women can show less skin and be less sexy to the "worldwide" audience

For your info, scarfs are not "religious" attire , it is a custom of a conservative culture, that's why wearing it is a "choice"

not according to the quote in the op.

n April 2010, FIFA announced that it was planning to ban headscarves and other religious attire during the 2012 Olympics.

not according to the quote in the op.

n April 2010, FIFA announced that it was planning to ban headscarves and other religious attire during the 2012 Olympics.

The scarfs are not allowed because of "safety" concerns, not as religious attire.

The scarfs are a lifestyle choice of some of the women, they may not wear scarfs in their daily life but it is a sign and show of support to "sisters" who does, A choice not allowed by FIFA to the team in question.

From article :

that the headscarf covering a woman's

neck is banned for safety reasons, an

unidentified FIFA official said.

~edit : article

Edited by third_eye

The scarfs are not allowed because of "safety" concerns, not as religious attire.

The scarfs are a lifestyle choice of some of the women, they may not wear scarfs in their daily life but it is a sign and show of support to "sisters" who does, A choice not allowed by FIFA to the team in question.

From article :

~edit : article

sorry that is not the way i read it. it clearly states, head scarves and other religious attire. which means the head scarves are religious attire in their eyes.

I think its a ridiculous issue, who cares if they want to wear the scarves, they just want to play soccer. These women go through so much in their own country cant fifa just let then wear the scarves for the sake of them being able to play, if they dont wear them who knows if there wont be repercussions for them when they return to iran

I think its a ridiculous issue, who cares if they want to wear the scarves, they just want to play soccer. These women go through so much in their own country cant fifa just let then wear the scarves for the sake of them being able to play, if they dont wear them who knows if there wont be repercussions for them when they return to iran

I agree, I think it's much more important that they play than what's on their head. Who cares what's on their head. I sure don't. But I do care if they don't play.

Not only that, for all we know--they could be the best womens soccer team in the world, but unless they get to play, we'll never know. So on some level, it could almost end up looking like FIFA is game-fixing. They probably aren't, I'm sure Iran isn't the best team in the world, BUT we won't know unless they play.

And frankly, WHO CARES what they wear on their heads. They've done a decent job of redesigning the head covering to be safe and frankly they don't look bad either. It's not like they're asking to wear a full abaya or and a veil. They aren't. It's just a hoodie more or less.

I agree, I think it's much more important that they play than what's on their head. Who cares what's on their head. I sure don't. But I do care if they don't play.

Not only that, for all we know--they could be the best womens soccer team in the world, but unless they get to play, we'll never know. So on some level, it could almost end up looking like FIFA is game-fixing. They probably aren't, I'm sure Iran isn't the best team in the world, BUT we won't know unless they play.

And frankly, WHO CARES what they wear on their heads. They've done a decent job of redesigning the head covering to be safe and frankly they don't look bad either. It's not like they're asking to wear a full abaya or and a veil. They aren't. It's just a hoodie more or less.

its religious, not that anyone would have known before this story came out.

Women's football in Iran

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Football_in_Iran

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_women's_national_football_team

Iranian-Women-Football1.jpg

I am very proud of them, with this ridiculous hijab...they have played good games and struggling to get things good and positive. they are from Persia, we have not the same religion but they are from where my blood ... very soon we will end this radicalism.