Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Asteroid shaves past Earth's atmosphere

UM-Bot

Image credit: NASA

Image credit: NASA

Submitted by Axle13: The closest observed asteroid yet to skim past the Earth without hitting the atmosphere, was reported by astronomers on Sunday. The previously unknown object, spanning five to 10 metres across, has been named 2004 FU162.

It streaked across the sky just 6500 kilometres - roughly the radius of the Earth - above the ground on 31 March, although details have only now emerged.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: New Scientist

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starlyte

• drbeat

• Fluffybunny

• zukie&jim

Top Posters In This Topic

cat.gif they want the astroid strike to be a surprise !! alien.gif

Why they always tell us after it passed ??? disgust.gif

I don't think they want to panic everyone...

I find it ironic that an asteroid that could have hit a city and killed millions of people and caused major distruction has the initials F.U.

If it's gonna be bad and there's nothing we can do about it I'd rather not be told anyway.

Previously orbiting the Sun once a year in an orbit that ranged as far inside the Earth's orbit as outside, 2004 FU162 now has a nine-month orbit centred closer to Venus than the Earth.

Since we live on Earch we are obviously concerned with any asteroids that could hit us, but what about asteroids that could hit other planets closest to us? After reading the above quoted part of the article it really got me wandering. What would happen if one hit Mars or Venus or any of the other planets in our solar system? What kind of impact would such an event have on Earth? I think it's worth considereing.

Asteroids hit other planets and moons all the time. Don't think they affect earth at all. But eventually one will hit earth with catastrophic results. Sadly we will never know what hit us.

Guest Lottie

Close shave! I would not want to know if an asteroid was about to strike earth, I would rather carry on with my life and if one did I would not know about it anyway.

Asteroids hit other planets and moons all the time. Don't think they affect earth at all. But eventually one will hit earth with catastrophic results. Sadly we will never know what hit us.

Yes, but what if an asteroid hit Venus or Mars large enough to destroy the planet? Couldn't after effects of such a collison effect us? Possibly from a large chunk of said blown up planet hitting us and cause catastrophic results? Maybe I'm wrong...just a thought.

Edited by starlyte

Well I am just thankful. that gods 8 ball didn't make it in (this time). I do hope its an awful pool player ALL the time laugh.gifdontgetit.gif

Well I am just thankful. that gods 8 ball didn't make it in (this time). I do hope its an awful pool player ALL the time laugh.gifdontgetit.gif

Ha ha ha ha ha ha........

...........NO!

Why would a god who created us wish to just destroy us?!!?!....oh! wait! I can think of many reason! tongue.gif

Previously orbiting the Sun once a year in an orbit that ranged as far inside the Earth's orbit as outside, 2004 FU162 now has a nine-month orbit centred closer to Venus than the Earth.

Since we live on Earch we are obviously concerned with any asteroids that could hit us, but what about asteroids that could hit other planets closest to us? After reading the above quoted part of the article it really got me wandering. What would happen if one hit Mars or Venus or any of the other planets in our solar system? What kind of impact would such an event have on Earth? I think it's worth considereing.

21 Fragments of Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacted Jupiter in 1994 with extraordinary results. Take a look at some of the images on these pages, particularly the Hubble images:

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/comet.html

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/sl9/c...met_images.html

http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/sl9/

And this from a news story from a few days ago:

"Jupiter's atmosphere still contains remnants of a comet impact from a decade ago, but scientists said last week they are puzzled by how two substances have spread into different locations.

The new study also discovered two previously undetected chemicals in Jupiter's air."

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/myst...day_040823.html

Hubble image of the site of fragment G impact about 2 hours after impact.

Click Here

I find it ironic that an asteroid that could have hit a city and killed millions of people and caused major distruction has the initials F.U.

laugh.gif