Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO filmed over Rotorua, New Zealand

A film of a strange light in the sky taken by a farmer in New Zealand has become an internet hit.

Rotorua Astronomical Society vice-president Brian Hurren says the video - which is about 90 seconds long - may be anything from an out-of-focus star to an unusual plasma ball. On the website the man said he saw a strange light above his farm and drove towards it to get a better look.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ronztrek

• Finguz

• Fluffybunny

• NVR

A film of a strange light in the sky taken by a farmer in New Zealand has become an internet hit.

Cool, I wonder what it is?

Not much of a UFO fan... but I must admit that this is some impressive footage

Not much of a UFO fan... but I must admit that this is some impressive footage

I'm going to try and join in here. What is so impressive to you about the video?

I'm not trying to be an ass, I am genuinely trying to understand what you find impressive.

Thanks in advance.

Ya I don't see what is so impressive either. You can't see anything for all we know it is a flashlight on a glass window reflecting off it.

yeah isn't much to go by...to them it might have appeared different. But it's obviously blurred and a light source out of focus....what it really is? who knows.

What??

I can't see anything here that is even remotely newsworthy.

Am I missing something?

Zam

This is why I asked. I mean if people are convinced by this kind of footage I can upload a few minutes worth everyday if you like? Twenty minutes outside with my handy cam and I can provide exactly this. It will be fake of course, but will look identical :)

What??

I can't see anything here that is even remotely newsworthy.

Am I missing something?

Zam

To me it looks like a star/planet that the camera has focused on, but when the camera zooms in it loses focus and goes to that blurred out light look. Anyone can do the same thing with a camera focus set to automatic.

It doesn't seem to move(other than the camera shaking), change color, anything at all that would mean any kind of intelligent life.

I think it was a slow news day in NZ...

.It changes sometimes....part of it at this pause looks like a kind-of cube.....

If you're referring to the blur's seemingly straight edges, those are a result of the camera's diaphragm and aren't a property of the object itself.

I needn't mention the aerodynamic challenges of a flying cube.

Edited by Octans

It changes sometimes....part of it at this pause looks like a kind-of cube.....

That would be because of the camera diaphragm:

H4700060-Camera_diaphragm-SPL.jpg

Once an image gets that out of focus, the light is going to take the shape of the diaphragm an appear square or hexagonal depending on the structure of the camera.

Edited by Fluffybunny

I'm not really that impressed - this could be anything but it is definitely 'unidentified' for sure. The Jerusalem UFO videos were much better (at least video 1, 2 and 4 were - #2 was faked to throw us off the scent).

I was excited when I saw the title, but this proves absolutely nothing. Its just a round light on a dark background, it could be anything from a torch in a dark room to the moon.

Well, I come from New Zealand, and yes, this could be something like a star or reflection but it could be real. UFO's are known in New Zealand :)

I think you're all over looking something here. These boys saw something really strange, strange enough to try and film it... You might not like the results, but that doesn't mean that what they saw wasn't worth any attention. Unless of course, you're questioning their credibility? I don't!

I live aprox 4 hrs north of Rotorua. Last Dec and Jan I saw some anomalies that are not suppose to be. I haven't disclosed any of it to the public yet, but let's just say that it's not as simple as a crew of scientists arriving here from some other star system. My own direct experience tells me a completely different story...

Of course, this is only an assumption, but I have a feeling you are all very close to having your own experiences... just a piece of advise: Keep an opening, not only in the mind, but in spirit. Nothing trumps the truth.

Having an open mind on any subject is a good thing. But this story is about lights in the sky. LIGHTS! No landings, no radioactive hot spots, Physical proof of their existing. Just a light that cant be immediately identified.

I simply need more.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS414US414&q=images+of+ufo%27s

Considering the amount of tectonic activity that has been hitting New Zealand for the last year or so, a Geologist might herald more answers than a UFOlogist.

I feel the people suggesting a star are on the right track, The jitter is created by the operator I suspect, which would explain why the bottom of the "egg" goes flat at times. The limits of the lens.

Edited by psyche101

Having an open mind on any subject is a good thing. But this story is about lights in the sky. LIGHTS! No landings, no radioactive hot spots, Physical proof of their existing. Just a light that cant be immediately identified.

I simply need more.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS414US414&q=images+of+ufo%27s

I would certainly hope so. Adopting someone else's truth as your own would simply be a form of insanity otherwise known as 'belief' or 'belief systems'. What I mean by an open mind, is not open to all the BS, but to the truth what ever it may be.

Sometimes truth doesn't have physical evidence... some times it defies science, religion and even philosophy. But if you have predetermined the quality of truth at the onset of your enquiry, then all you're doing is reinforcing your own delusions.

Possibly the All Black's rugby ball?

I would certainly hope so. Adopting someone else's truth as your own would simply be a form of insanity otherwise known as 'belief' or 'belief systems'. What I mean by an open mind, is not open to all the BS, but to the truth what ever it may be.

Sometimes truth doesn't have physical evidence... some times it defies science, religion and even philosophy. But if you have predetermined the quality of truth at the onset of your enquiry, then all you're doing is reinforcing your own delusions.

If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out. Until there is some concrete evidence I challenge you to prove anything/anybody from anywhere other than here has been here.

And no, if you start out with a firm idea of what evidence is required,you are not deluding yourself, and you will be less likely to fall foul of all the crackpots and timewasters out there. Also, I have never known a truth without physical evidence. What you are referring to is faith and I have no faith in random reports from random people without evidence!

But to the observer its all that matters at that moment in time. The best thing is to enjoy all that you see

Try to explain it to only yourself.Then remember that you got to see something unique.

To tell others that you know more than them id futile. To just be Happy with your own sighting and curiosity is Bliss.

Too many people are wound way too Tight to understand the simple joy in Looking up !