Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Not to be a buzz kill...but...

Sevastiel

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Brushwood

• booNyzarC

• Sevastiel

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

That's a great video, thanks for sharing. I've been preaching this stuff forever. People still don't get it and never will! Suckas!

There is nothing wrong with posting this video; however, this is the psychic reading thread, it should be in the metaphysical section yes, but I do not believe in the reading thread, where people are asking for readings and you are obviously not. Again it is completelty fine to speak your opinion and I fully respect that I just do not think it should be put in this particular section. Thanks. And still intersting vid! (minus the guys hair ha-ha)

I do disagree with some of his statements such as "they are all different predictions and yet everyone claims they all work" ...who is they? And who is everyone? I do readings but I certianly don't make people pee in a pot or put a thread on a donkey or have any rituals such as a crystal ball, part of it can be taken as quiet offensive. Not in the fact that someone doesn't agree with anothers ritual more so how it is presented, or for the fact he makes assumptions that everyone believes this or that..when he doesn't know who everyone is and not that everyone claims anything, if he states something is should be I believe...not we..if you cannot properly define that we.

Edited by puridalan

There is nothing wrong with posting this video; however, this is the psychic reading thread, it should be in the metaphysical section yes, but I do not believe in the reading thread, where people are asking for readings and you are obviously not. Again it is completelty fine to speak your opinion and I fully respect that I just do not think it should be put in this particular section. Thanks. And still intersting vid! (minus the guys hair ha-ha)

Good point.

Moderator?

(or can I actually move it?)

That hair is cool (but I sure wouldn't do it! erm...now that I've got hair again anyway...)

Had a hard time stomaching the video, his hair fills me with so much rage.

Edited by Doctor_Strangelove

Seriously? (Bit irrational if you're not kidding...)

He covers a lot of interesting stuff in that series, most of which gets looked at in one form or another here on UM on a consistent basis.

He's a Bro dude!

Interesting, but he fails to mention the the rederic affect. I once taught ballet to a group of adults. I convinced them to do those turns and lifts. I explained to them that it was important for martial arts training and it would help them.

They lapped it up. Have you ever seen a fifty year old man try to do ballet for the first time. Yeah..... Funny. I know nothing about dancing, but I have been teaching my entire life.

Here's the point. There are so many great orators and leaders out there that anyone of them can convince you of anything. The only mode of truth is self discovery. Not that what he says is wrong there are many truths..... But there are many truths in lots of things.

He also has the standard materialistic perspective. It's nothing new. Because he is separated from his subject material he has no bases to comment accurately on it. He dos not realize simple truths of the origins and depth if what he is talking about. He also has no clue ? (He cant) spiritual rituals and methods are a method of focus... And nothing more. He is as bad as a literalist. Focus on the material representation of " things" , he is immune to the message

To be honest when i first watched this vid yesterday, i thought this was someone trying to do comedy on the subject and that's how i still feel about it. I don't find this guy particualry knowledgable on the subject of metaphysics or psychics/readings. Both Puri and Seeker make points as to why which i agree with. I understand the whole thing about the psychological study he mentioned, and while interesting, that does not even cover or begin to explain how psychics or mediums are able to connect and perceive what they do. The example he is trying to use is simply psychology and profiling peoples personalities and highlighting quite nicely how ego centric the human mind is, as well as showing the weakness in always considering self as the centre of the universe. Thus we fall easily for taking vague personality descriptions and shaping them into something meaningful and unique, when it is not.

If ANYTHING, this guys demonstration is far more interesting in questioning the authenticy of psychological personalty test/profiling full-stop within psychology itself, not metapshyics, since it reveals the whole issue above. Those who work using their ability to sense (and yes there are those of us out there) connect and perceive and receive what they connect to is the simplest way to define this, and that goes way beyond the vague cold reading style of what this guy is going on about.

Edited by Anvil

"Out of the divinations I found though, I'd have to say the most popular is Astrology. because that's the one you find in the newspapers everyday."

Ok, stopped right there. This guy has no idea what he is talking about. I am so so so sick and tired of these half baked idiots that basically rant and rave on a subject they have done basically NO research on, gain the adulation of the Lazy Skeptic classes and regurgitate the same tired old msiconceptions I've heard over and over again. This sort of absolute crap just reminds me of the ignorance and vanity of the human race. If this guy's name ever pops again you can bet I will put it in the same garbage collection that I put newspaper astrology. it's a soft target. NONE OF THESE CRITICS can even answer some of the most basic quizzes on a natal chart. They HAVE NO IDEA what they are talking about. It's infuriating. I would love to challenge them to do a proper debunk of the matter, but this is just typical, spurious crap, and that is basically all you're going to get of out of these morons that ally themselves with "science" but in reality have allied themselves with pop culture.

**** off Brushwood. You are tedious. What a total moronic waste of time this prancer is.

Edited by Murrangurk

I watched his whole talk. I must say that I'm impressed with what he has to say overall. Thanks for posting the video Sevastiel, I'd never heard of this guy before. :tu:

To the people who seem so offended by what he is saying I would merely suggest... Show how he is wrong.

And while you're at that... is he right about anything in your opinion?

I watched his whole talk. I must say that I'm impressed with what he has to say overall. Thanks for posting the video Sevastiel, I'd never heard of this guy before. :tu:

To the people who seem so offended by what he is saying I would merely suggest... Show how he is wrong.

He is wrong because he only understands the rudimentary aspects of his subject material. ( forgive me folks I'm actually going to try to explaine this and flat minds have a very difficult time with bigger pictures)

Psycology and sciences are a wonderful thing, they do teach us about a vast many things including things about ourselves. What he has done is applied a intermediate understanding of psycology to an infantile understanding of of metaphysics. Let's talk about some examples.

Bone reading. I take some bones toss them on behalf of someone. To the uninitiated it looks like I'm makeing things up. What in the hell power do bones have? It's not the bones it's the person....... Infact it's both people. The shaman is usually a very special and yes creative person. The shaman has done these bone readings hundreds of times. The shaman is highly skilled at connecting the left side of the brain with the right ( through a constant altered state practice) thereby connecting and bringing together his creative and cognitive genius. The shaman is also usually a highly skilled people person. Thousands and thousands of interactions with others and their problems gives him a unique perspective.

Looking at the person the shaman is picking up on hundreds of of ques that he is not even aware of and makeing probability assumptions on a level that is not even understood.

Over 10,000 hours of doing something makes you a master at it. People horse whisperers have these amazing abilities because the depth of involvement that they have withmtheir subject.

The bones roll out, the shaman is receiving ques from his developed subconscious and his subject. He gives the subject a reading with the full power of and experience of his mind. He also knows things about the subject that the subject is not aware of, and may not be able to accept so he tip toes around the subjects ego and beleifs.

Is it scientific..... Yes. The shaman if He is ethical is relying upon the power of the human mind and his experience to give the reading. The bones are just a focal point. Even when readings seem generalized...... It dosent matter!!!!!!!!!!! Your own mind, as the little kid on the video pointed out will pick out what is applicable to you. Cause you to self reflect and resurface when the issue presents itself. This is incredibly valuable.

The critics of this process cannot see the bigger picture. The human animal and network is far far far far more complicated than these surface only arguments.

I love for sevastial to look at my dreams. He has a wonderful mind. He can reach into the depths of his mind and 80% of what comes out makes me think and self reflect. that is an amazing powerful Ali to have. Is it right? I don't care what any body says nothing in humanity is objective..... It's all relative. So yes I'll make it right. We all live inside of our minds perception is all that we have.

Does it come from the spiritworld? Yes. I have been there. And the spirit world and the physical world are not separate they are different places on the same ice burg. Every thing is in a mind and every mind is in every other. Universal entanglement.

I love reading about spiritual masters like Christ and the buddah. You can see this deep understanding in nearly everything they say.

...........ok im board and rambling.

The kid on the video does not have a clue, and I'm not being hostile..... He just dosnt.. He has read some books, applied a materialist filter, points out the logical flaws of something he dosnt logically understand, and regurgitates something his professors told him. 90% of what he said I herd in a junior college ethics class 15 years ago. I'm not impressed at all. So why my response? His attitude is a severe conciousness problem our society has. Ironically what he is preaching against is what he is propigating...... Ignorance.

My final point is that all sciences are built upon layers of understanding the always end in we don't know...... They always will be. So I chuckle if somone even says " I know where I am" because honestly they can't possibly. The simplest of truths are truely unknown. If any one doubts it, let's play the question game. I'll proove it.

"'i think therefore I am"

" anything beyond that is an assumption"

Edited by Seeker79

He is wrong because he only understands the rudimentary aspects of his subject material. ( forgive me folks I'm actually going to try to explaine this and flat minds have a very difficult time with bigger pictures)

--

How do you know that he only understands the rudimentary aspects of his subject material? This was a talk given to college students and a very short talk at that. He covered a wide array of subject matter and only briefly glossed over particular aspects of each with the intention of helping educate those students about the benefits of being skeptical.

He makes very good points and used appropriate and accurate examples to illustrate those points. Very simple actually.

Do you deny that charlatans have been making claims about supernatural powers for centuries and taking advantage of gullible people along the way? That's the bottom line in his talk. He is telling people to be wary of such claims so that they aren't taken advantage of. Surely there is benefit in that approach?

Or maybe my flat mind didn't quite get it? :rolleyes: As far as you are concerned, what exactly is a flat mind anyway? Are you calling me stupid and/or ignorant as might be suggested by this chap's question?

Regarding the rest of your post, you do like to ramble on about this don't you? Let's look at your example of the shaman and the bones. You state that it is scientific. Strange, I don't see anything scientific about what you described. Probably my flat mind getting in the way again, but your example here seems to be the polar opposite of scientific to me. Can you clarify how what you described is, in any way, scientific?

I know. I get that a lot... if it helps, think of the hair as a birth defect that I'm really working to get past.

Thanks, booNyzarC. this forum discussion popped onto my radar tonight and I thought I'd join the discussion, since it seems like there's a thoughtful, eclectic mix characters here.

He dos not realize simple truths of the origins and depth if what he is talking about. He also has no clue ? (He cant) spiritual rituals and methods are a method of focus... And nothing more. He is as bad as a literalist. Focus on the material representation of " things" , he is immune to the message

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean... can you elaborate?

"Out of the divinations I found though, I'd have to say the most popular is Astrology. because that's the one you find in the newspapers everyday."

Ok, stopped right there. This guy has no idea what he is talking about. I am so so so sick and tired of these half baked idiots that basically rant and rave on a subject they have done basically NO research on...

**** off Brushwood. You are tedious. What a total moronic waste of time this prancer is.

Allow me to clarify: what I meant to say is "there are dozens/hundreds of different forms of astrology out there, and to tackle them all would be exceptionally tedious... so, for sake of simplicity, we'll focus on the tenets of sun-sign astrology, since that's the one you see in newspapers everyday."

now that I've clarified my opening statement, is there any chance I can persuade you to listen to the rest of the presentation?

Thanks, booNyzarC. this forum discussion popped onto my radar tonight and I thought I'd join the discussion, since it seems like there's a thoughtful, eclectic mix characters here.

Welcome to UM Brian, it is good to have you here. We do have quite a mix. :P

I've been checking out some of your work over the last couple of days and I really like what you're doing. :tu:

I've been checking out some of your work over the last couple of days and I really like what you're doing. :tu:

If you'd like to hear a more fun/less skeptical take on a lot of these topics, you should definitely check out the weird things podcast: http://weirdthings.com/category/podcasts/ In the past, we've tackled such important topics as how one would physically combat an angry sasquatch, the massive bird deaths in Arkansas, and what it would take to make me eat my children during a zombie apocalypse.

If you'd like to hear a more fun/less skeptical take on a lot of these topics, you should definitely check out the weird things podcast: http://weirdthings.com/category/podcasts/ In the past, we've tackled such important topics as how one would physically combat an angry sasquatch, the massive bird deaths in Arkansas, and what it would take to make me eat my children during a zombie apocalypse.

Thanks Brian, I'll be sure to check it out.

Solid info there. I don't think people should be offended by it, it is what it is. I wrote this at the end of another post on another thread about prophecy and fortunetelling...

"And about predictions? Always remember...even a blind squirrel can find an occasional acorn...if you predict enough vague stuff, sooner or later something will turn up and appear to validate your claims."