Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Deer with wings" causes power outage

Still Waters

(a newborn fawn weighs from 2-4 lbs).

Not to be too picky, but most sites I've seen, and personal experience, said that whitetail fawns average 5 to 8 pounds.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissMelsWell

• The Silver Thong

• Doctor_Strangelove

• DieChecker

Clever lad, aren't ya?

Compare this picture:

capt.0e52a52cd85d402085ada70c3ce9f127-e75b2e21f2cb4204a6ef6a383337797a-0.jpg?x=400&y=327&q=85&sig=hdLvFQ0Nct0_V.ZR_WvkBw--

With this video (posted earlier):

The deer pictured is significantly smaller than that goat. It would be completely reasonable to assume that an eagle could carry that deer.

sorry but dragging an animal is significantly different than lifting one to the hieght shown in the photo.

the amount of weight an eagle can lift has always been exaggerated.

About eleven years ago while I was out hunting with my Brother we witnessed a Golden Eagle plummet from the sky onto a doe whitetail deer breaking her back instantly. Then it began to eat the deer. We had to stop another hunter from shooting it because he didn't know it was an eagle, It was so big he thought it was a deer. On another occasion I was mowing my lawn when a huge shadow went across my lawn. I looked up to see an Osprey slowly circling overhead. My neighbors four year old daughter was playing thirty feet away unattended. I immediately ran to her so it could see she had protection and it circled a minute or two more before it left. It could have carried her off I have no doubt and another missing child would never be recovered.

Not to be too picky, but most sites I've seen, and personal experience, said that whitetail fawns average 5 to 8 pounds.

And a golden eagle on average weighs 15lbs... some are much larger. There are verified reports of Golden's plucking newborn brown bear cubs! It's absolutely documented that they can. Even a bald eagle can score a 4lb+ salmon right out of the water, I've seen that with my own eyes. And Baldies are siginificantly smaller than Goldens.

My Macaw's and my Solomon Island Cockatoos could lift about half their body weight with a good enough grip.

About eleven years ago while I was out hunting with my Brother we witnessed a Golden Eagle plummet from the sky onto a doe whitetail deer breaking her back instantly. Then it began to eat the deer. We had to stop another hunter from shooting it because he didn't know it was an eagle, It was so big he thought it was a deer. On another occasion I was mowing my lawn when a huge shadow went across my lawn. I looked up to see an Osprey slowly circling overhead. My neighbors four year old daughter was playing thirty feet away unattended. I immediately ran to her so it could see she had protection and it circled a minute or two more before it left. It could have carried her off I have no doubt and another missing child would never be recovered.

It's extremely rare for an Osprey to attack a land animal, so she was probably safe. Osprey are predominately fish eaters. If they're not eating fish, I know from experience, they'll raid other birds nests for eggs. The eagles, owls and Osprey would constantly raid the blue Heron rookery next to my house when I lived out on the San Juans.

It could have been as simple as straight winds or a desert tornado. My mother and father live in Arkansas. The tornadoes they had last month left horses in trees (dead , of course) after a local stable had been directly hit.

And a golden eagle on average weighs 15lbs... some are much larger. There are verified reports of Golden's plucking newborn brown bear cubs! It's absolutely documented that they can. Even a bald eagle can score a 4lb+ salmon right out of the water, I've seen that with my own eyes. And Baldies are siginificantly smaller than Goldens.

My Macaw's and my Solomon Island Cockatoos could lift about half their body weight with a good enough grip.

I'd never heard that before. I was just skeptical...

It could have been as simple as straight winds or a desert tornado. My mother and father live in Arkansas. The tornadoes they had last month left horses in trees (dead , of course) after a local stable had been directly hit.

That is probably as likely, or more, then it being tossed up by a passing truck.

That is probably as likely, or more, then it being tossed up by a passing truck.

Any tornado`s in Montana that day hmmmm maybe but I think it could have been a bird of prey not being able hang on to it. The fawn doesn`t look all that big.

Very cool vid of golden eagles hunting wolves in Mongolia.

http://www.liveleak....=b0d_1241253843

That was amazing Silver_Thong. And you get the perspective for how ENORMOUS those birds really are. In general, I'm great with birds having raised a whole lot of parrots in my lifetime, I even came very very close to getting a federal hawking license. But that Golden that used to hang out on the pole in front of my house scared the crap out of me. If my Macaw or Umbrella were out in the living room on their perches and I saw that Golden pull up, I'd hustle my parrots out of eye shot as fast as possible. Prime directive being that I was NOT hip on the idea of a giant raptor in my house. LOL.

That was amazing Silver_Thong. And you get the perspective for how ENORMOUS those birds really are. In general, I'm great with birds having raised a whole lot of parrots in my lifetime, I even came very very close to getting a federal hawking license. But that Golden that used to hang out on the pole in front of my house scared the crap out of me. If my Macaw or Umbrella were out in the living room on their perches and I saw that Golden pull up, I'd hustle my parrots out of eye shot as fast as possible. Prime directive being that I was NOT hip on the idea of a giant raptor in my house. LOL.

When I was about 15 I found a nest, two magie pies and I took them in. They were bald and eye`s closed I hade no idea what they were but the local vet told me what to feed them on inspection. I raised them in my folks basement and fed them milky dog food. They were my pets of doom but awesome. I would walk down the street with one on each shoulder. I even took them into my local blockbuster and 7/11.

They stayed with me the whole time till I would gentaly toss one into the air and damn that bird came back with gifts off the shelf all the time. One even grabed a big bag of chips and brought that back to me, why I think he liked to take things and thought I was it`s momma. I was. I miss those guys. They out grew me and only saw them for about 2 years after. Never again to ride my shoulder.

They where thieves though and often scooped things I was amased over. One got caught in my jacked and picked that up as a runt.

Edited by The Silver Thong

It must have been a gold eagle :sleepy:

Or maybe some wierd person doing some wierd thing. Flinging not a pair of shoes but a road kill.

Still very much within what they can lift, especially if you have an exceptionally large bird. They average 15lbs, but can certainly be up to around 18lbs. 5-8lbs is not hard for them to handle at all. LIke I mentioned, my macaw, who weighed at his biggest, 2.5lbs (which is big for a Macaw, he was an exceptionally large Bolivian variety) he could most certainly lift half his weight for short periods. Given the correct updraft, he could go longer I'm sure. He'd grip some of his weightier toys with one foot and drag them up a rope perch. I don't know what a yard long piece of 2x4 weighs, but if it had a hole in it that he could get his beak into... he'd haul those around too. He liked to hide them on top of bookshelves and things where he could hide up high, and make the 2x4 into an impressive pile of toothpicks. LOL. I think hands down, untreated lumber was probably his favorite "toy".

Edited by MissMelsWell

When I was about 15 I found a nest, two magie pies and I took them in. They were bald and eye`s closed I hade no idea what they were but the local vet told me what to feed them on inspection. I raised them in my folks basement and fed them milky dog food. They were my pets of doom but awesome. I would walk down the street with one on each shoulder. I even took them into my local blockbuster and 7/11.

They stayed with me the whole time till I would gentaly toss one into the air and damn that bird came back with gifts off the shelf all the time. One even grabed a big bag of chips and brought that back to me, why I think he liked to take things and thought I was it`s momma. I was. I miss those guys. They out grew me and only saw them for about 2 years after. Never again to ride my shoulder.

They where thieves though and often scooped things I was amased over. One got caught in my jacked and picked that up as a runt.

Birds are, without a doubt, some of the most engaging pets you can have! They're weird and wonderful. LOL. I love them, but I don't have one now. I lost my precious Macaw in my divorce (my ex gave him away without consulting me, I just came home from work one afternoon and my baby was gone--the bird I'd raised from an egg in an incubator, who I hadfed for nearly 9 months like a baby with night feedings too, who was my constant companion for 14 years) I don't have one now because I don't have the space to keep one. Small house, very NOISY bird. LOL. I would like to have another large parrot one day, but I'll have to wait until I'm retired so that might be never. LOL. They need attention, love, interaction, and require more care than most people are willing to give them.

I might consider hand-rearing some Gouldian finches though. Theyre almost impossible to find on the market as handfeds, I'd have to get a featherless chick or egg, and feed it myself. They can be trained to do some really cool things. I had a pair at one time that would fly off on command, do two loop-d-loops and come back and land on my shoulder. They were pretty clowny. LOL.

Yep, I love me some birds. :)

But for now, I'll remain a one pet home... with my darling doggy.

dr strangelove.. sorry but what have you been smoking?

There isn't an eagle on earth powerful enough to pick even a small deer off the ground. The worlds largest eagle, the Harpy, or monkey eating eagle couldn't accomplish that!

Looks like a big raptor can fling a 80 lb dog into the air. Or are you say a deer fawn has wings lol wind, car, bird hmmm

Maybe a UFO was experimenting on it and dropped it like the cows.

LOL

Odie :alien:

Edited by odiesbsc

Oh boy, here we go with the "Eagle can lift" BS!

A very large Golden Eagle weighs in at about 13 Lbs. They seldom lift anything since they are scavengers who pick at carcasses. Maybe, just maybe an extreme specimen could lift 8 lbs. and that's a stretch. We're looking at more in the neighborhood of 3 to 5 lbs.

I realize there are exceptions to everything and as I mentioned there most certainly exists a handful of extremely large GE's. In that case I'll give the 8 Lbs.

The best place to get this info is from fish and game commission studies by reputable officials in the field.

A very large Golden Eagle weighs in at about 13 Lbs. They seldom lift anything since they are scavengers who pick at carcasses. Maybe, just maybe an extreme specimen could lift 8 lbs. and that's a stretch. We're looking at more in the neighborhood of 3 to 5 lbs.

I realize there are exceptions to everything and as I mentioned there most certainly exists a handful of extremely large GE's. In that case I'll give the 8 Lbs.

The best place to get this info is from fish and game commission studies by reputable officials in the field.

And a newborn fawn is around 3-5 lbs. Possibly up to 8. The fawn they found on the power lines was definitely small. And, the Golden that used to leer at me from the telephone pole outside my home was more than 13lbs. I'm quite sure of that. And being someone who's raised 100's+ large birds, I'm a pretty good judge.

Golden eagles are also know for dropping their prey.

Yet, I can't help shake this terrible feeling that people are fighting the golden eagle theory tooth and nail because they think it makes whatever theory they have involving UFOs or whatever seem more plausible.

Poor thing.

• 3 weeks later...