Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"We are going to get the Falklands back"

Socio

so you take exception to being called Argies, but its ok to call my dead comrades Pirates <_< arrogant ARGIE fool

I am sorry if you belived i was calling the dead troops pirates. I was calling the non-combatants UK citizens "pirates", but i tried to mantain some respect for the dead. If you want to call me "argie" i have no problem, i will call you "pirate", but i think we must try to have the dead troops out of our little insult war.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Right Wing

• Space Commander Travis

• Mekorig

• keithisco

How are the Venezuelans going to prevent a Royal Navy taskforce sailing to the Falklands? I think they've only got about ten proper warships.

Also, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg was in Brazil recently. Amongst other things he had a word with the Brazilians over their supposed support of Argentina over the Falklands. But Whitehall sources believe that Brazil is not an active supporter of Argentina, and is keen to deepen its trade links with the UK.

Just an idea: Brazil is making themself into a regional leader power, with SA their "zone of influence". I can not dny it, Argentina as fallen behind, and only Mexico have a comparable economic power. But most of Brazil trade ties are in the region, and they do not like too much the british prescence in Ascencion island, specially after they found a lot of oil fields in their continental shelf. I will not call Brazil and unconditional Argentine ally, but i did not fool myself with the situation of Brazil backing the UK. For now, is in Brazil own interest to back Argentine in their claim. In 20 years, i do not know, but for now, yes.

I am sorry if you belived i was calling the dead troops pirates. I was calling the non-combatants UK citizens "pirates", but i tried to mantain some respect for the dead. If you want to call me "argie" i have no problem, i will call you "pirate", but i think we must try to have the dead troops out of our little insult war.

So you'll call ordinary people pirates because of where they're from but demand respect for those who'll kill over a bit of sand?

Had those sailors been fighting for a just cause, I'd agree in calling for a bit more respect. Respect for people trying to take lands that aren't theirs though? Not so much.

Just an idea: Brazil is making themself into a regional leader power, with SA their "zone of influence". I can not dny it, Argentina as fallen behind, and only Mexico have a comparable economic power. But most of Brazil trade ties are in the region, and they do not like too much the british prescence in Ascencion island, specially after they found a lot of oil fields in their continental shelf. I will not call Brazil and unconditional Argentine ally, but i did not fool myself with the situation of Brazil backing the UK. For now, is in Brazil own interest to back Argentine in their claim. In 20 years, i do not know, but for now, yes.

Don't you think it would be more in Brazil's interests to stay out of it entirely? They don't earn Argentina's emnity or lose Britain's trade. Instead, they can watch Argentina sqaunder its money and fall even further behind in the competition.

So you'll call ordinary people pirates because of where they're from but demand respect for those who'll kill over a bit of sand?

Had those sailors been fighting for a just cause, I'd agree in calling for a bit more respect. Respect for people trying to take lands that aren't theirs though? Not so much.

It was, and is, a just cause to get our territory back. Ypu call it a "bit of sand", i call it part of my nation.

I call pirate to the UK leaders, not the soldiers that die in the battlefield.

Don't you think it would be more in Brazil's interests to stay out of it entirely? They don't earn Argentina's emnity or lose Britain's trade. Instead, they can watch Argentina sqaunder its money and fall even further behind in the competition.

One could think that yes, but Brazil craves for a leadership position in the region, and they need Argentina support.

@ Mekorig "It was, and is, a just cause to get our territory back. Ypu call it a "bit of sand", i call it part of my nation.

I call pirate to the UK leaders, not the soldiers that die in the battlefield."

please explain how the Falkland islands are Argentine territory ???

Edited by maca02

It was, and is, a just cause to get our territory back. Ypu call it a "bit of sand", i call it part of my nation.

"I am sorry if you belived i was calling the dead troops pirates. I was calling the non-combatants UK citizens "pirates",

read you`re previous posts Mekorig, or you will just look silly :innocent:

Edited by maca02

Once again Falkland Islanders are preparing to find themselves in the world’s spotlight, but this time we hope that at least our wishes are clearly understood; we are Falkland Islanders first and foremost, but also wish to remain an integral part of the British Overseas Territories community.

The Honourable Emma Edwards MLA is a member of the Falkland Islands Legislative Assembly :tu::tu:

Oh dear... I thought this had been done to death.

How are are the Falklands (which are indeed, geologically speaking, bits of sand) yours?

Getting bored now... :sleepy:

One could think that yes, but Brazil craves for a leadership position in the region, and they need Argentina support.

And here we have a prime example of delusions of grandeur. Sorry but Brazil simply doesn't need you. Give them time and, between them Mexico and Brazil will swallow up the smaller countries around them. The only way Argentina will hold on to what it already has is to be on good terms with more powerfull nations (something not best done by invading them usually).

If, (and when), there comes a time when Argentina has to defend what is its own, I'd be on your side all the way. When you want to take lands belonging to others, even when the citizens don't want you to, I'll be just as much against you.

Argentinas invasion of the Falkland Islands were a war crime as they had no legal claim on the territory. Many families also lived on that island during the invasion and no doubt some were killed. There seems to be a lack of respect towards Britain, International Law and the British war dead going on here by Argentina.

Maybe Argentina should have brought the islands instead of going to war the first time around however now they have no chance. The British public are hostile towards any attempt by Argentina to take those islands by whatever means be it diplomatic or military. If Argentina tries the military route again I predict the UK armed forces will find no shortage of recruits wanting to fight the tyranny.

I hope Argentina doesnt choose this route and escalate things by getting South American allies on its side. The reason I say this is I believe Britain would then use nukes and the British people would demand the Government used them too. I dont think the Falkland Islands are worth 2 million Argentinian lives.

Argentina needs to let go and repair its relations with the UK. A close friendship might even allow some oil contracts to be given to Argentina. We aren't the sort of people to be bullied though we beieve in fairness.

How would the Argentinians even get the Falklands back? Subs are already there, so simply they can throw a few tomahawks to the capital, if any type of invasion attempts to occur.

Piracy is a war-like act committed by non-state actors (private parties not affiliated with any government) against other parties at sea, and especially acts of robbery and/or criminal violence at sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy

To call ordinary British citizens "pirates" is therefore fairly inaccurate.

And those hundreds of Argies who died in the war would still be alive if Argentina didn't invade British territory in 1982. You brought it all on yourselves.

Piracy is a war-like act committed by non-state actors (private parties not affiliated with any government) against other parties at sea, and especially acts of robbery and/or criminal violence at sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy

To call ordinary British citizens "pirates" is therefore fairly inaccurate.

And those hundreds of Argies who died in the war would still be alive if Argentina didn't invade British territory in 1982. You brought it all on yourselves.

I think the Argentinian use of the word means theives, cheaters and crooks.

Calling us pirates is racist as well.

Edited by Spark Plug

Population

Argentina: 40 million

Brazil: 191 million

Economy

Argentina: US$642 billion

Brazil: US$2.172 trillion

Brazil also has the largest military in Latin America, with around 371,200 active troops. It also ranks a fairly respectable 11th in the world for spending on defence, whereas Argentina ranks 49th.

Argentina's spending on defence, on the other hand, is the second lowest in South America, its 0.9% of GDP spent on defence exceeding only that of Suriname. Brazil spends 1.5% of its GDP on defence and Britain spends 2.7%.

Brazil's army has 235,978 active personnel and over 1 million in reserve, dwarfing that of Argentina.

The Argentine airforce has 14,606 personnel and 195 aircraft, dwarved by the Brazilian airforce (the largest in South America), which has 73,764 active personnel and around 720 aircraft and by the RAF (the fifth largest airforce in the world) which has 42,750 Regulars, 2,500 RAF Volunteers, 33,380 Regular Reserve and 1,002 aircraft.

The Argentine navy conists of 42 ships. The Brazilian navy consists of 60,000 active personnel, 100 ships and 89 aircraft. The Royal Navy consists of 38,190 Regulars, 3,600 Navy Volunteers and 19,560 Regular Reserve, 99 ships and 240 aircraft.

Edited by Blackwhite

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Fearless_(L10)&sa=U&ei=dTAVTvfNEcyw8QOu7vgU&ved=0CBUQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNF7E9ChshNYIDTYLNWzK9JGaAA1CQ

For that guy to say that HMS Fearless was sunk during the Falklands war is daft. I served in the RN for a few years and remember - in 1998 I think it was - seeing HMS Fearless in harbour at Portsmouth when my ship, HMS Exeter, was there.

Britain is hated around the world because if its empire.

When the US has a black president the risk America is taking is that he might habour resentment towards Britain because of the slave trade and the imperialism in Africa. The same problem might also exist if the US had a gay president.

I think the UK should end the special relationship and leave the EU. We are a resource rich nation and can stand on our own feet its our politicians selling us out which gives us the impression we are second rate. We should once again become the harbour of Europe and protect our own businesses from cheap imports from the far east.

When did Brtain last have an empire? Back in the 50's. I find that attitude- the idea that everyone now should feel guilty for the empire/slavery or whatever, rather absurd. Exactly the same as when people argue that Germans should feel guilt for Hitler, or white Americans should feel guilty for slavery- and don't forget that they quite enthusiastically carried on with slavery after independence.

For that guy to say that HMS Fearless was sunk during the Falklands war is daft. I served in the RN for a few years and remember - in 1998 I think it was - seeing HMS Fearless in harbour at Portsmouth when my ship, HMS Exeter, was there.

Haven't you heard, the Argentines sunk the entire Royal Navy and blew up 10 Downing a week later.

It's all been covered over and hushed up by the government.

The Argentina government dusts this claim off from time to time in order to score political points. They're never going to get the Falklands since it's not theirs to begin with. The locals have spoken and the Argentinans should man up and respect their wishes.

As much as I agree that the UK would respond forcibly if Argentina tried to invade the Falklands again, I think that Spark Plug is jumping the gun rather a lot by suggesting that the British public would demand the use of nukes on Argentina....I can't imagine what sort of ill thought out plan would involve the use of Nukes on South America..

My cousin's boyfriend is currently stationed there. Hope nothing happens :/

A bit of info for you guys from him...

Apparently Argentina consistently test the air space and see how far they can get. That's from a guy stationed there as we speak.

My cousin's boyfriend is currently stationed there. Hope nothing happens :/

A bit of info for you guys from him...

Apparently Argentina consistently test the air space and see how far they can get. That's from a guy stationed there as we speak.

Testing with what? The Super Entendard? The remaining are mostly grounded. The Mirage (and variants) dont have enough fuel to risk a safe travel in and out, and the Skyhawks are far from the Patagonia. I can only think of the Orions, and dont think the Marine will risk them to a "stray" UK missile.

Testing with what? The Super Entendard? The remaining are mostly grounded. The Mirage (and variants) dont have enough fuel to risk a safe travel in and out, and the Skyhawks are far from the Patagonia. I can only think of the Orions, and dont think the Marine will risk them to a "stray" UK missile.

I'm obviously not as clued up about what their capabilities are as you are. But this is what a guy in the Falklands right now said.

Haven't you heard, the Argentines sunk the entire Royal Navy and blew up 10 Downing a week later.

It's all been covered over and hushed up by the government.

The Brtish pretty much destroyed the airforce...

The Argies lost 25 helicopters, 35 fighters, 2 bombers, 4 transports, 25 COIN (counter insurgency) aircraft and nine armed trainers. That's 100 aircraft.

The British lost 24 helicopters and 10 fighters, 34 aircraft.

The Argies suffered 649 fatalities and Britain suffered 255. That equals 904 deaths, which is incredible when you are reminded that the war lasted just 74 days. To put that into comparison, Britain has suffered 375 casualties in Afghanistan in almost ten years of fighting.

Just three civilians were killed in the war and they were all females from the Falkland Islands. They were actually killed accidentally by British friendly fire. Those three civilians don't include the six Hong Kong laundrymen who were killed when their RN and RFA ships were hit.

There are still 117 uncleared minefields on the Falklands, but no casualties have resulted because of them since 1984.

Edited by Blackwhite

Argentine air force, either navy, army and air force got a pretty big hit in the conflict. We regained a bit of strenght since then, but the seventist gov we got in the last 8 year have left all the armed forces to rot, wich is a shame.

Argentine air force, either navy, army and air force got a pretty big hit in the conflict. We regained a bit of strenght since then, but the seventist gov we got in the last 8 year have left all the armed forces to rot, wich is a shame.

your El presidente, what does she say about the Falklands. does she mention the islands in her election speeches? if she does what does she say.