Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"We are going to get the Falklands back"

Socio

your El presidente, what does she say about the Falklands. does she mention the islands in her election speeches? if she does what does she say.

Its "La" presidente, or in any case, President Fernandez de Kirchnner. "El" is a masculine article. And about your question, no, since the incident that created this thread, she have not mention the Malvinas. Anyway, for her, the Malvinas problem is just bread and circus to get a better public image, she care not for the islands. Her husband term and hers shows it in the shape of our army and the febble diplomatical moves they did.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Right Wing

• Space Commander Travis

• Mekorig

• keithisco

Resurrection of old thread, but worth it, in view of the fact that the renowned international diplomat Sean Penn, former husband of Madonna and best mate of the new Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, has Spoken on the matter, and the world, i very much hope, is Listening. :unsure2:

'Britain is colonialist, ludicrous and archaic': Sean Penn blasts UK for refusing to hand over Falklands to Argentina

:unsure:

I rather think that calling the Islands "Las Malvinas" gives them a certain "Cache". People will go there thinking of "Las Maldives"... until they actually face the rather bracing Antarctic Winds :w00t:

The Islands are 400 miles off of the coast of Argentina (well outside territorial and Continental Shelf criteria), and seasonal Whaling Sations dont amount to much of a claim.

The truth is that, in South America, everyone wants the Oil Wealth that Venezuela has. I am sure that none of the SA Nations actually like Hugo Chav, but he has economic clout. The entire situation could be de-fused by keeping the extraction of the oil in the Falklands, and allowing the Argentine to process it. Isn't this the Win Win scenario???

Edited by keithisco

I rather think that calling the Islands "Las Malvinas" gives them a certain "Cache". People will go there thinking of "Las Maldives"... until they actually face the rather bracing Antarctic Winds :w00t:

That may be a shrewd move by the tourist industry. People always used to think they were somewhere off Scotland.

Resurrection of old thread, but worth it, in view of the fact that the renowned international diplomat Sean Penn, former husband of Madonna and best mate of the new Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, has Spoken on the matter, and the world, i very much hope, is Listening. :unsure2:

'Britain is colonialist, ludicrous and archaic': Sean Penn blasts UK for refusing to hand over Falklands to Argentina

:unsure:

Argentina wants to annex territory where the people who are living there don't want to be part of Argentina. But no it's Britain who are the imperialists. :rolleyes:

Argentina wants to annex territory where the people who are living there don't want to be part of Argentina. But no it's Britain who are the imperialists. :rolleyes:

Cop, just a tip, because i dont want to get involve in a discussion i have found to be sterile with the UK posters in this forum. Just read about the conflict. If far more complicated than that.

Cop, just a tip, because i dont want to get involve in a discussion i have found to be sterile with the UK posters in this forum. Just read about the conflict. If far more complicated than that.

Not really.

I guess if Argentina really wanted them, they should have won the war.

certainly you'd have to look very carefully to see any plausible claim that Argentina might have .. :P

certainly you'd have to look very carefully to see any plausible claim that Argentina might have .. :P

do they have any claim? as our man at the UN stated, the British were in the Falklands before Argentina was even a country. the French and Spanish have more of a claim. :w00t:

Not really. The people who live in the Falklands want to be part of the UK. Until that changes Argentina should back the hell off.

Well, both the territorial claims - and the current military situation - are somewhat muddied.

I gather that the primary Argentinian claim to the Islands arises from a commercial seal-farming "colony" set up by Luis Vernet. This short-lived endeavour only lasted for around 3 years, and didn't produce that much in the way of infrastructure. Moreover, the bulk of the colonists where actually from Europe (Germany and Holland, I beleive). Indeed, it is not entirely clear wether Luis Vernet (originally from France) was even a naturalised "Argentinian" at the time of the settlement.

(Perhaps Mekorig could help cast some light on that issue ? )

As for the balance of military force: the UK has a greater ability to project force to the Falklands. However, if some of the Mercator group (particularly Brazil) where - say - to threaten to blockade the Royal Navy from approaching the Falklands (or even organise a pre-emptive commando strike against Ascension Island), then things could get very difficult indeed, and the entire military equation would change. So it is not so much a case of what Argentian could do, but what a coalition of South American nations could do, should they so wish.

It is very close to the 30th "anniversary" of the invasion, so emotions must be running particularly high. At the same time, there is a short-term "gap" in the UK's ability to project force. In a couple-or-three years, the Queen Elizabeth carrier will be fully operational, and the rest of the Type-45 air-defence-destroyers will be available. Once that point is reached, Argentina will never again have ANY hope of recapturing the Falklands, even WITH Brazil's assistance. The combination of the anti-air cover of the Type-45',alongside the anti-shipping strike power of the F35C (and the accompanying Early Warning helicopters etc) utterly formiddable.

So here we have it.. a 1-2 year 'chink' in our ddefences. a

it would be interesting to see who are real friends are if the south american countries did join forces in assisting the argies taking the Falklands. that is why its my belief we United Kingdom should increase our naval force at least a doubling of its size.

it would be interesting to see who are real friends are if the south american countries did join forces in assisting the argies taking the Falklands. that is why its my belief we United Kingdom should increase our naval force at least a doubling of its size.

Since the Obama/Israel debacle it would be well to wonder. But rest assured that the American people would be there in majority for our cousins across the pond. I can't imagine a US government refusing a request for such aid.

Stop with that jingoist m********ion. Right now, Argentina is not interested in an armed solution to the situation (nor is capable of such action right now) and no South America country will do any kind of military operation because all the SA countries are against war.

Stop with that jingoist m********ion. Right now, Argentina is not interested in an armed solution to the situation (nor is capable of such action right now) and no South America country will do any kind of military operation because all the SA countries are against war.

I agree with you Mekorig..jingoistic nonsense from the right - wing press in the UK. Certainly sucked in the Usual Suspects though.

To my own way of thinking negotiations are a good way to go, less than 3000 Falklanders and Stevewinn is proposing a DOUBLING of the navy assets to keep the Union Jack Flying there...crazy

Nonsense to my way of thinking, dual sovereignty is the way forward, the Islanders would benefit hugely, International Relations would benefit hugely, it would be a Win - Win situation, the same with Gibraltar

I agree with you Mekorig..jingoistic nonsense from the right - wing press in the UK. Certainly sucked in the Usual Suspects though.

To my own way of thinking negotiations are a good way to go, less than 3000 Falklanders and Stevewinn is proposing a DOUBLING of the navy assets to keep the Union Jack Flying there...crazy

Nonsense to my way of thinking, dual sovereignty is the way forward, the Islanders would benefit hugely, International Relations would benefit hugely, it would be a Win - Win situation, the same with Gibraltar

Why do we need to negotiate,the Falklands are British Soverign territory and it would be an insult to those that died to hand it back.I also disagree with Steve Winn,there has been enough bloodshed in the world and the Argentinians should respect the fact that we won't give it up....

Nonsense to my way of thinking, dual sovereignty is the way forward, the Islanders would benefit hugely

In what way?

This whole story about the argies and the falklands came about - directly from the Argentine government, not the right wing press. if the argentine government has not only been playing upto to the world press but to make matters worse created a mountain out of a mole hill by going to the biggest stage in world politics the UN. so do us all a favour and have a word with yourself. the blame lies right at the door of Argentina.

am not proposing a doubling of the navy for the Falklands alone, but for the future of this nation. as an Island nation, our prosperity and security is totally dependent on our ability to access the sea. the UK is reliant on a stable global market for the raw materials, energy and manufactured goods which underpin our way of life and, in a globalised world, we must have the ability to respond to any event that threatens our economy or national interests. 90% of world trade travels by sea. the UK depends on maritime trade for its prosperity. 95 per cent of Britain’s economic activity, imports and exports, travels by sea. By protecting the sea-lanes, the Royal Navy and Royal Marines contribute to the stability, economic growth and development of the UK. this is why the Royal Navy needs doubling in size. so put that in your peace pipe and smoke it.

Edited by stevewinn

This whole story about the argies and the falklands came about - directly from the Argentine government, not the right wing press. if the argentine government has not only been playing upto to the world press but to make matters worse created a mountain out of a mole hill by going to the biggest stage in world politics the UN. so do us all a favour and have a word with yourself. the blame lies right at the door of Argentina.

am not proposing a doubling of the navy for the Falklands alone, but for the future of this nation. as an Island nation, our prosperity and security is totally dependent on our ability to access the sea. the UK is reliant on a stable global market for the raw materials, energy and manufactured goods which underpin our way of life and, in a globalised world, we must have the ability to respond to any event that threatens our economy or national interests. 90% of world trade travels by sea. the UK depends on maritime trade for its prosperity. 95 per cent of Britain’s economic activity, imports and exports, travels by sea. By protecting the sea-lanes, the Royal Navy and Royal Marines contribute to the stability, economic growth and development of the UK. this is why the Royal Navy needs doubling in size. so put that in your peace pipe and smoke it.

Seems the Argies have taken a page from the "Palestinian's" book on foreign policy.

Obama wants Israel gives up it's sovereignty now he is going after the UK and the Falklands wanting to them to give up theirs?

A quick history lesson reveals Argentina have never ever owned the Falkland Islands.

If a second conflict happens we should nuke Buenos Aires.

Well, both the territorial claims - and the current military situation - are somewhat muddied.

I gather that the primary Argentinian claim to the Islands arises from a commercial seal-farming "colony" set up by Luis Vernet. This short-lived endeavour only lasted for around 3 years, and didn't produce that much in the way of infrastructure. Moreover, the bulk of the colonists where actually from Europe (Germany and Holland, I beleive). Indeed, it is not entirely clear wether Luis Vernet (originally from France) was even a naturalised "Argentinian" at the time of the settlement.

(Perhaps Mekorig could help cast some light on that issue ? )

As for the balance of military force: the UK has a greater ability to project force to the Falklands. However, if some of the Mercator group (particularly Brazil) where - say - to threaten to blockade the Royal Navy from approaching the Falklands (or even organise a pre-emptive commando strike against Ascension Island), then things could get very difficult indeed, and the entire military equation would change. So it is not so much a case of what Argentian could do, but what a coalition of South American nations could do, should they so wish.

It is very close to the 30th "anniversary" of the invasion, so emotions must be running particularly high. At the same time, there is a short-term "gap" in the UK's ability to project force. In a couple-or-three years, the Queen Elizabeth carrier will be fully operational, and the rest of the Type-45 air-defence-destroyers will be available. Once that point is reached, Argentina will never again have ANY hope of recapturing the Falklands, even WITH Brazil's assistance. The combination of the anti-air cover of the Type-45',alongside the anti-shipping strike power of the F35C (and the accompanying Early Warning helicopters etc) utterly formiddable.

So here we have it.. a 1-2 year 'chink' in our ddefences. a

If I was pm I would withdraw all military forces from the Falklands and let them invade if they want too.

Then 160 of our 180 nukes would get used.

Well, that is just a plain SILLY comment, Right-Wing.

Speaking of silly... I gather that Argentina has embedded ownership of the Falklands into its constitution ?

If so, then Argentina is constitutionally required to - ultimately - go to war with the UK.

Sometimes, the government of Argentina appear like spoilt children. How else to explain this constitutional amendment ? What kind of loonies embed a completely impossible gaol into their constitution, knowing that any attempt to accomplish that goal would require an act of war ?

Talk about "hostage to fortune". Or should I say, "throwing toys out of pram" ?

Here's a thing to consider... almost half of the population of the Falklands (e.g. legal residents) are "foreign". Only a handful are from Argentina. When it comes to tourist visitors, many are Argentinian, but almost exclusively the family of Argentinian servicemen who are buried on the Islands.

To put it another way... Argentinians may claim to be passionate about their claims to the islands. But hardly ANY of them bother to visit, let alone settle. It seems the "passion" for the Falklands is limited to street protests, and then back to the nice warm residence in Buenos Aires for cocktail parties.

Compare that childish, tantrum "I want it because I don't have it" mentality, with the quiet, stoic determination of the Falklanders to remain British.

meow purr :)