Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"We are going to get the Falklands back"

Socio

The thing is, the UN call for the UK and Argentina to negotiate, not the islanders. The UK is the one who tries to put them in the middle. The UN does not have them in count because they are not a native population, but an imported population. That si also why the self-determination policy have little weight in the discution.

The population of Argentina is imported too. Why don't you all leave and hand it back to the natives?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Right Wing

• Space Commander Travis

• Mekorig

• keithisco

The population of Argentina is imported too. Why don't you all leave and hand it back to the natives?

Would you say that to Canada.

Would you say that to Canada.

No, because Canada isn't trying to take over someone else's land using that as an argument.

That'll teach em!

Britain would be able to defeat a South American alliance with ease.

I expect that in the opening stages of the war they would take all the South Atlantic bases. The danger there is Prince William might get isolated and captured.

Then Britain would send its superior fleet and wipe them out. If Prince William isnt captured we would nuke several South American targets to teach them a lesson but if he is he will no doubt become a bargaining chip.

I think we should pre-emp the Brazilian navy.

Britain would be able to defeat a South American alliance with ease.

I expect that in the opening stages of the war they would take all the South Atlantic bases. The danger there is Prince William might get isolated and captured.

Then Britain would send its superior fleet and wipe them out. If Prince William isnt captured we would nuke several South American targets to teach them a lesson but if he is he will no doubt become a bargaining chip.

I think we should pre-emp the Brazilian navy.

Didn't Britain lose more men and equipment than Argentina in the Fawklands war?

How can the UK ever have a legitimate claim on The Falklands?

It is like Argentina claiming The Isle Of Wight!

However.... We are where we are, so it should be left to the Falklanders to decide on their allegiances.

The reason why our claim to the Malvinas is in our constitucion is easy. It is a part of our territory ocupied by a foreign power, and its our imperitive to mantain our territorial integrity.

I'm sorry but I couldn't stop laughing at your equally jingoistic post. Firstly, the Falklands are not Argentinian, nor were they colonised by Argentina. Secondly, the Falklanders wish to remain under the Union Jack. Thirdly, you're claim revolves around the idea that "They are close to us. Therefore they are ours." Argentina only inherited a Spanish claim to the islands, and you don't here Keith spouting jingoistic rhetoric about it.

Which, by the way, Keith. You occupy Ceuta and Mellila or whatever it is. The Moroccans want it back.

And, as a civilized nation, we are trying to solve the problem the right way, trough diplomacy.

A "civilised" nation? The very same nation that was run by a military junta which imprisoned and executed thousands of political opponents and then started a war, which it lost? That "civilised" nation?

And if diplomacy fails? You will take it back by force. Right. With what army?

Didn't Britain lose more men and equipment than Argentina in the Fawklands war?

Casualties

Argentina – 649

Ejército Argentino (Army) – 194 (16 officers, 35 Non-commissioned officers (NCO) and 143 conscript privates)

Armada de la República Argentina (Navy) – 341 (including 321 in Belgrano and 4 naval aviators) IMARA ( Marines ) – 34

Fuerza Aérea Argentina (Air Force) – 55 (including 31 pilots and 14 ground crew)

Gendarmería Nacional Argentina (Border Guard) – 7

Prefectura Naval Argentina (Coast Guard) – 2

Civilian sailors – 16

United Kingdom – A total of 255 British servicemen and 3 female Falklands Island civilians were killed during the Falklands War.

Royal Navy – 86 + 2 Hong Kong laundrymen (see below)

Royal Marines – 27 (2 officers, 14 NCOs and 11 marines)

Royal Fleet Auxiliary – 4 + 4 Hong Kong laundrymen

Merchant Navy – 6 + 2 Hong Kong sailors

British Army – 123 (7 officers, 40 NCOs and 76 privates)

Royal Air Force – 1 (1 officer)

Falklands Islands civilians – 3 women killed by friendly fire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_War#Casualties

(N.B. not for any jingoistic purposes, merely out of interest)

Why doesn't Argentina also claim Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay? They're much closer to it than the Falklands (i.e. they border it) and they were all part of the Spanish Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata, which is the other part of the current Argentine claim.

Why doesn't Argentina also claim Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay? They're much closer to it than the Falklands (i.e. they border it) and they were all part of the Spanish Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata, which is the other part of the current Argentine claim.

Blockading ships from the Falklands is itself an act of war.

If I was PM Beurnos Aires would already be radioactive rubble.

Casualties

Argentina – 649

Ejército Argentino (Army) – 194 (16 officers, 35 Non-commissioned officers (NCO) and 143 conscript privates)

Armada de la República Argentina (Navy) – 341 (including 321 in Belgrano and 4 naval aviators) IMARA ( Marines ) – 34

Fuerza Aérea Argentina (Air Force) – 55 (including 31 pilots and 14 ground crew)

Civilian sailors – 16

United Kingdom – A total of 255 British servicemen and 3 female Falklands Island civilians were killed during the Falklands War.

That’s interesting.

Especially in "it's not colonialism" thread :lol:

A "civilised" nation? The very same nation that was run by a military junta which imprisoned and executed thousands of political opponents and then started a war, which it lost? That "civilised" nation?

And if diplomacy fails? You will take it back by force. Right. With what army?

Yes, civilized. We went trough a military dictatorship, and the military action taken was their action to try to salvage their regime (of course that the people all cheered during the invasion, all population do). We are a democracy, we were a democracy and will keep beign a civilized democracy. And the democratic way is to solve it trough diplomacy.

Yes, civilized. We went trough a military dictatorship, and the military action taken was their action to try to salvage their regime (of course that the people all cheered during the invasion, all population do). We are a democracy, we were a democracy and will keep beign a civilized democracy. And the democratic way is to solve it trough diplomacy.

Your only chance is to form a powerful alliance and annex them.

But even if outpowered Britain still has nukes.

Kabooooom!

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Casualties

Argentina – 649

Civilian sailors – 16

That's me put in my place!

The Argentines should thank the British for bringing down their military dictatorship.

The Argentines should thank the British for bringing down their military dictatorship.

The Junta was already falling by its own weight and incompetence. Never put a military to manage a country, never.

The Junta was already falling by its own weight and incompetence. Never put a military to manage a country, never.

We hastened its downfall by perhaps years. How much thanks do we get for that?

We hastened its downfall by perhaps years. How much thanks do we get for that?

You are giving your country too much importance. Again, the Junta was on its last straws. If it wasnt in the `83 it would be in the `84.

You are giving your country too much importance. Again, the Junta was on its last straws. If it wasnt in the `83 it would be in the `84.

Pity it decided to kill hundreds of British people before it went, then.

Just a month after I retired, a battalion of my old regiment (7th.Gurkha Rifles) were sent out to the Falklands, where they saw action at Mount William. The Argies didn't like them one little bit! So jog on Manuel, or you could end up getting another smacked bottom!

Blockading ships from the Falklands is itself an act of war.

If I was PM Beurnos Aires would already be radioactive rubble.

the banning of ships. i loved the fact that Paraguay also agreed to ban ships docking, yet they are a landlocked country. :rofl:

Right. I'll believe a "civilized" Argentina when I see it.

If Argentina gained control or the Falklands I have no doubt in my mind that they would be nuked, but only if the islands could not be won back through conventional war. Tony Blair stated over a decade ago that Britain would nuke non nuclear countries that used conventional weapons against us and I doubt the Tories feel any differently. They would never win a one on one war with us anyway. Even though it's possible they could give us a hard time.

I think the Falklands are the only aspect of British foreign policy I could ever agree with, even though the government has completely different motives behind defending them than they claim to, or that I do.

Also, even if a large deposit of oil was found there, the islanders would never turn their backs on Britain as someone earlier suggested. Even if they wanted to, they could not afford to, as it would mean losing British military and political support, paving the way for Argentina (if Britain even allowed the islanders independence, which I severely doubt they would, at least not straight away) to claim the islands and their riches.

Either way, the islanders had better realise soon that any oil found there will not be their own. That's one fantasy best let go of as soon as possible, to save disappointment in the future. The islands would simply just be another old style colony, ripe for elites to plunder the resources.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

How can the UK ever have a legitimate claim on The Falklands?

It is like Argentina claiming The Isle Of Wight!

However.... We are where we are, so it should be left to the Falklanders to decide on their allegiances.

The UK has a legitimate claim because they were one of the first settlers on the islands, along with Spain and France. They've also had control of the islands since 1833. I'd say that's a damn strong claim. Stronger than Argentina has.

And the Falklanders have decided on their allegiances, and they picked Britain.