Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Disappearing objects in the house

Agate

Has anyone experienced an object disappearing from the house? This is going to sound ridiculous but I left my slippers in the middle of my room and one hour later one had disppeared. I have hunted high and low through the whole house and of course all but obvious places like under the bed but it just seems to have vanished into thin air. I know there is a phenomena when objects disappear and turn up again in a completely different place but a whole week has gone by and I have not found it. Any logical explanations?

It gets more frequent the older you get, trust me...

• Like 5

I always liked the notion that such disappearances were down to time-travelling antique hunters...

OK seriously, I've had apports (and what I term deports) occur regularly down the years; they are a supposed facet of the paranormal, but just like other paranormal subjects logical explanation can be very difficult to attribute.

• Like 1

Do you have any animals that could of eaten the slipper?

Cats, but I don't think they could be so clever! Looks like it's a mystery I will have to live with. Thanks for the thought.

OMG I know exactly what you are talking about! Seems like I lose my cell phone every 6 minutes! lol. I lose everything. I guess it's just forgetfulness. Plus I have adhd, I don't know if that has anything to do with it but I'm thinkin it does. lol. It drives me nuts! I can NEVER find anything! It always takes me like 20 minutes to leave the house because I can never find my purse, shoes, wallet, ect.. :P And sometimes I SWEAR I put something right next to me then I look away for a second then look back and it's gone! GRRRR! WTF?! <_<

• 1 month later...

That happens at my house all the time.

I attribute it to a floating black hole in the house. :rofl:

• Like 2

Presumably it is explained by the same phenomenon that sees you end up with a draw full of odd socks.

Has anyone experienced an object disappearing from the house? This is going to sound ridiculous but I left my slippers in the middle of my room and one hour later one had disppeared. I have hunted high and low through the whole house and of course all but obvious places like under the bed but it just seems to have vanished into thin air. I know there is a phenomena when objects disappear and turn up again in a completely different place but a whole week has gone by and I have not found it. Any logical explanations?

i had the 'five dollar bill' episodes when i first moved to british columbia.

i could not keep a five dollar bill to save my life! no matter how many bills i had the fives would always disappear. it only ever happened when i lived at that apartment and only with five dollar bills - never a twenty or a ten etc.

when i moved out it never happened again. and no, i have no idea what the heck that was all about!

• Like 3

Happens to me to...... It's called ADD.

• Like 1

You need to wait till you mislay something else. Then, when you go looking for it, you will find the object you lost previously, but not the current one, IMO.

Well one explanation could be you just accidentally kicked it somewhere else, or someone else did.

I know my neighbor had this happen to her, and she believes it's her son playing jokes on her. One time she lost her ring. She puts it in the same place, and when she looked there in the morning, it was gone. She couldn't find it for weeks, and then one day she looked there again, and it was there. This has happened to her a couple of times with things.

You need to wait till you mislay something else. Then, when you go looking for it, you will find the object you lost previously, but not the current one, IMO.

or...just go buy another one and you'll find the one you lost - prime example is eyebrow tweezers. :huh:

• Like 1

My dad has an old rotary gt watch left to him from his uncle, he keeps it in the same drawer all the time yet sometimes when he goes to get it, its gone. A few weeks or days later it will turn up in the drawer, Hes come to accept it now mind you. if its not there its not there :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I have experienced missing objects in my home, as well as other places where I lived. Objects have been disappearing in my home for the last 14 years. Some of the objects reappear at different places the apartment.

The first thing that I noticed on the second day of where I moved into my Toronto apartment in 1998, I noticed my cup where I put my toothbrush disappeared. I asked 1 of my 2 roommates if he took it, and he said "No." Then in about few days later it reappeared. Then my perfume disappeared, and then reappeared again. My pepper shaker in the kitchen disappeared, then reappeared.

Then later in the years, my bank card disappeared, my video tapes, jewellery box (but not the contents of the box), my books, my portfolio that I handed in for university admission, my quaters for laundry, my rain jacket, my boots, and now recently that was missing in June 2011 is one of my photo albums in apartment which I moved in in 2007.

The strange thing is that I once cleaned up my room to make sure I know where everything is in place. I left my wallet to make sure I won't lose it because my bank card was missing about 4 times. So I left it at home in front of my bed, and then when I came home late at night, I noticed it wasn't there. Then I said to myself that it will come back one day. I went to sleep and dreamt of a man, who looked like a spirit - a transluscent body - returned my wallet in front of my bed. I woke up the next morning and looked in front of my bed, and it was there. So I believe some bad spirit is doing this to me.

When my grandmother passed away, I found a silver ribbon pinned to my black suit jacket in my closet.

I'm upset that my photo album disappeared. I'm really sad about that.

Well, that is my take on it.

Keyhearts.

• Like 1

Maybe could be your cat's playing with the slippers u never know they myt just be under the couch or somewhere u typically wouldn't think of looking.

• Like 2

I enjoyed reading those replies , and some are suggesting that you may be having a senior moment , but that's not the answer , I'm sure it's happened to us all at one time or another , but the answer eludes me .

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Agate,

I'm not laughing at your dilemma, trust me. From this past Friday until this Monday morning, three of my personal objects have gone missing from my house...into thin air no less! My husband can confirm this phenomena as well. Being ex-military, he can find anything that's missing and I've put him to the test many times. He's so patient. However, we practically tore the house apart, looked in places we've never seen before (been in this house seven years) and they simply have left the planet as it were. A friend who owns a metaphysical store told me it's fairies (of all things!) and I purchased a vial of glitter and placed it on my back door. I'll do anything at this point; practically desperate! The phenomenon I've learned has a name, "Disappearing Object Phenomenon" or DOP.

It really is a great inconvenience and has cost me some money to replace at least one of the items already. In case anyone is curious, the objects are (in order of being missed), reading glasses, a prescription bottle just purchased (skin allergy meds) and a hairbrush. So for those of you who got a chuckle out of Agate's lost slipper, if it ever happens to you, you may not think it's so amusing. Oh, and I've had a lot of "friendly" paranormal activity in my houses for many years. This is the first time I would not consider it friendly.

Happens to me to...... It's called ADD.

Uh, with all due respect, I don't have ADD and I don't think Agate has either. It's called Disappearing Object Phenomenon and it's considered a phenomenon because it's happened to many, many people. I know when I lose things and I didn't lose the objects I mentioned in my post. They simply vanished. Hard to accept but just one of those crazy, unexplainable things in life. So easy to blame the victim, so to speak. Not trying to be a jerk about this but I'm very upset about it since it just happened so I'm a tad defensive. :w00t:

• 3 weeks later...

I know exactly what you're going thru. my Mother has always called them borrower's but here lately the things that have been disappearing haven't been showing back up. it's pretty frustrating and will cause you to call your sanity into question. I've always experienced little things over the years a shadow out of the corner of your eye here, a light turn on there, something disappear from the table you leave the room and an hour or so later its back on the table. but over the past 2 weeks my I.D. badge from work, my emergency inhaler, my wife's favorite shirt, and her favorite pair of tweezers have all disappeared. Her things have shown back up within a few hours of vanishing, but my badge and inhaler have been gone for days now. we've turned the house upside down looking for them but they are just gone. also the other things have been happening more frequently also.

• Like 2

Had the experience of lipsticks, tweezers, and nail files all disappearing from my desk. Came into the room one night and saw my cat slapping at a nail file and flipping it into the wastebasket, lobbing a pen from the desk into the same basket, etc. Suddenly the light dawned. She seemed to be having one old Harry of a time doing that. I figure she has a big pile of stolen objects somewhere in the house and that I may find them someday.

• Like 2