Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Classified Document

The Taniwha

Classified Document

Has anyone ever heard about the Taniwha? It's an old Maori legend. There is supposed to be one that protects and lives in the Waikato river. I always get creeped out when i walk down there. The Taniwha is probably what the Maori people used to keep their young from drowning in the River/Sea. "Don't go near the river or a Taniwha will kidnap you and make you his wife" lol.

Description/Short info

At sea, a taniwha often appears as a whale or as a large shark; compare the Māori name for the Great white shark: mangō-taniwha. In inland waters, they may still be of whale-like dimensions, but look more like a gecko or a tuatara, having a row of spines along the back. Other taniwha appear as a floating log, which behaves in a disconcerting way (Orbell 1998:149-150, Reed 1963:297). Some can tunnel through the earth, uprooting trees in the process. Legends credit certain taniwha with creating harbours by carving out a channel to the ocean. Wellington's harbour, Te Whanganui-a-Tara, was reputedly carved out by two taniwha. The petrified remains of one of them turned into a hill overlooking the city. Other taniwha allegedly caused landslides beside lakes or rivers.

Taniwha can either be male or female. The taniwha Araiteuru is said to have arrived in New Zealand with the early voyaging canoes and her eleven sons are credited with creating the various branches of the Hokianga Harbour (Orbell 1995:184-185).

Heres the Wiki link. Taniwha info

And a video

Serpent like/Humanoid like

Daniel%20Reeve_Taniwha.jpg

Taniwha_Design_by_kiwi_anim8a.jpg

taniwha_scene3.jpg

In_The_Shadow_Of_The_Taniwha_by_tyrannus.jpg

Edited by Classified Document

DieChecker

Cool. Never heard of this before. :tu:

Kasimir

Never heard of it either.

The pictures are pretty neat. It's one of the coolest looking sea monsters, I think.

Night Walker

The Taniwha gets a brief mention in the 1994 NZ movie "Once Were Warriors".

oncewerewarriors.jpg

The rest of the movie is pretty good too. If you haven't already seen it then do yourself a favour...

Timothy

Whoever gave it its' tattoos must have been pretty hardcore...

The rest of the movie is pretty good too. If you haven't already seen it then do yourself a favour...

I second that! Edited by Timonthy