Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iceman Otzi's last meal

Persia

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blues Girl

• Pax Unum

• Taut

• tipotep

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very neat. I'm glad to hear something new about Otzi. I wish they would be bale to provide better pictures of all of his tattoos, though. I think it would interesting to see what kind of designs they had back then.

Its incredible what science can get from a mummy approx 5300 years old , i liked this bit especially ...

they determined that Otzi had eaten Alpine ibex just 30 to 120 minutes before his death

Amazing !

TiP.

Its incredible what science can get from a mummy approx 5300 years old , i liked this bit especially ...

Amazing !

TiP.

What's even more amazing is that they know when he ate it, right down to the minutes

Perhaps he was killed for taking the last piece of Alpine Ibex from the cooking stick.

"Hey! You've had two pieces already and NOW you're taking a THIRD? And some in the line haven't had ANY!"

Murders have occurred with far less provocation. :lol:

Perhaps he was killed for taking the last piece of Alpine Ibex from the cooking stick.

"Hey! You've had two pieces already and NOW you're taking a THIRD? And some in the line haven't had ANY!"

Murders have occurred with far less provocation. :lol:

I did have an arrow in his shoulder...

I did have an arrow in his shoulder...

Yes, it certainly looks like he got into some altercation... Fascinating...

It certainly seems like he wasn't the most popular copper age man in the world. Very interesting though. I wonder what he did to cause so much seeming hostility? Sounds like he was chased down then shot [with an arrow] and bludgeoned to death.

Yeah, I'm thinking he definetly did p*** some people off. I'd say the stealing food idea could be right, and he got away with it, not to mention an arrow in him on his get away. BTW how can you tell the tooth damage happend "a few days" before he died. I somehow feel thats a bit precise for a science that comes up with plenty of unknowns with todays bodies. Granted ice preserved him, but still.

It certainly seems like he wasn't the most popular copper age man in the world. Very interesting though. I wonder what he did to cause so much seeming hostility? Sounds like he was chased down then shot [with an arrow] and bludgeoned to death.

I do not think that Otzi was bludgeoned when he was killed. I believe the first theory was that he died due to exposure/hypothermia. After several years they found the arrowhead in a location that struck an artery causing him to bleed to death. Otzi was found with a very handsome copper axe and the experts determined that with a weapon this fine he was likely a man of high status among his people perhaps a Shaman. He had high quality clothing, tools and weapons. It was theorized that he was killed by people of another tribe or perhaps by someone jealous of his stature and possesions. It is all pure speculation but a lot of things could have happened. One thing that interests me is why did it take so long to detect the arrowhead? This man was examined by dozens of doctors and other scientists using the best technology available. Once discovered, the arrowhead sticks out like a sore thumb. A radiologist should h ave been able to pick that out almost immediately. Otzi's discovery has been an outstanding boon for science. IT is amazing that a human body can remain in that condition for over 5000 years.

Edited by PowerPC

IT is amazing that a human body can remain in that condition for over 5000 years.

The wonders of ice, my friend :)

Otzi the Iceman, a well-preserved natural mummy of a Chalcolithic (Copper Age) man from about 3300 BC, who was found in 1991 in the Schnalstal glacier in the Ötztal Alps, near Hauslabjoch on the border between Austria and Italy.

http://www.physorg.c...-otzi-meal.html

This is and always will be a unique and amazing story. A frozen man has spoke volumes to us in a way.

Simply amazing. I gotta dig up some more on his genome, that should be interesting.

I would think that killing the Shaman of a food/resource competitive tribe might be quite a coup. Wonder how he would have been caught out alone? Vision quest? Well, however it happened I bet it was quite a story.

On the other hand, stealing food, when it was scarce or hard to come by would certainly get your ass majorly kicked, especially in someone else's hunting territory. Or stealing someone's wife, etc, might inspire your own tribe to do you in, when you were supposed to be the "honorable" one.

Ah, silly speculation, but it's so much fun!!!!

Edited by Taut

Simply amazing. I gotta dig up some more on his genome, that should be interesting.

How do you plan on doing that? Are you a scientist? If so, cool!

How do you plan on doing that? Are you a scientist? If so, cool!

No, I just meant digging around on the internet, I'm sure it's probably published. I've just always loved weird archeology and have tons of wasted college time in classes unrelated to my field :-) Course, that was back in the Cretaceous period.

Edited by Taut

No, I just meant digging around on the internet, I'm sure it's probably published.

Ah. You might want to look up the word genome before using it, then

Ah. You might want to look up the word genome before using it, then

Good advice BG, I hope Taut won't be disappointed to learn Otzi was a Human... :lol:

Good advice BG, I hope Taut won't be disappointed to learn Otzi was a Human... :lol:

lol Me too

Great story. i wonder what the scientists would have thought if they found that his last meal was a big mac and fries? :cat: