Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Drosoulites

kyr

The battle of Frangokastello

In 1828 during the War of Independence against the Turks, the troops of Hatzimihalis Dalianis took refuge in the castle during the Battle of Frangokastello. The leader of the Turks, Mustafabey, besieged the castle for seven days. During the siege Dalianis himself and 350 of his troops died. Locals, however, closed in on the Turkish army from behind and with their help, Mustafabey retreated and allowed to the troops to exit the castle unharmed. Afterwards, he demolished a big part of the castle and started to proceed towards northeast. But the locals, waited for them in the gorges and slaughtered many his army.

The phenomenon of Drosoulites .Every year, on the anniversary of the battle of Fragokastello (May 17th ), when the dawn breaks, the visitor sees a long procession of visions. There are people, dressed in black, with their weapons shining under the morning sun, walkers and riders, marching from the ruined church of Agios Charalambos and advancing towards the fort.They reach the sea and disappear into it , with the first rays of the sun. They are called Drosoulites. The phenomenon usually last about 10 minutes. Many have tried to explain this in a scientific way, and at one time it was explained as a mirage from the coast of north Africa, but still there is no accepted consensus. The appearance of the Drosoulites is so real, that is is documented over the ages. In 1890 a transient Turkish army, took the images for rebels and opened fire on them. Even during the last World War, a German patrol opened fire on the visions.

source:

Crete Island

Your opinion about this phenomeno?I never been to Crete but if i ll go one day i ll go May on the 17th for sure. smile.gif

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kyr

• Magikman

Top Posters In This Topic

kyanoun,

Actually, you don't want to go on May 17th, but on June 6th, which would match the old Greek calendar date of May 17th. Wouldn't want you to mess up an opportunity if you get a chance. unsure.gif

As to the story, it is pretty interesting, but what concerns me is that there are only a couple mentions of it on the net, and they all describe the phenomena exactly, word for word. This tells me there is only a single, original source for the story, which neither references any kind of historical support, the authors name or credentials, nor is there corresponding collaboration except for vague, unsubstantiated reports. Crete may not hold much interest for many people, but historically, one would think you could find quite a lot about its battle for independence against the Turks and other mentions of The battle of Frangokastello referenced on the Internet, but you don't. The article makes mention of there being countless examples of experiences with the phenomena being documented through the years, although those accounts can't be found anywhere on the Internet, nor is there any mention to scientific studies or research having been conducted. That leads me to believe the story is a myth. Then again, maybe most of the references are in Greek, and the search engine can't come up with anything. That still doesn't explain the exactness of the tale, common sense makes you think there would be various and differing versions if it was truly an unexplained and mysterious phenomena.

Magikman

Hi!

It's fo sure hard to find information on the net for the phenomena in Greece.I can't either find web pages in my language,i mean serious sites no humor or fake.

I'm a person who believes something ONLY if i see it with my own eyes,not even from a TV.So i can't believe to Drosoulites or whatever only by reading a report.The only thing i can do is to post you some legends like Loch Ness from my country and discuss-analyse them.

Thanks for reply Magikman!