Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anger a Crow

Persia

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• Persia

• Robbie333

• mattryan209

I love crows.

Ithink in Scandinavian countries have many legends about ravens,crows .

Ithink in Scandinavian countries have many legends about ravens,crows .

There are legends about crows and ravens just about everywhere on his planet.

Click on the link to the blog in my signature.

-

Btw, the OP is not about real 'news'; it has been long known crows remember your face. People who caught them for study had to do it wearing some sort of silly hat. As soon as they released the crows, these crows would follow them when they left the university, and attack them, or at least make a lot of noise. So from then on they did their research on crows while wearing some silly hat, and every day before they left the university they took that hat off and the crows left them at peace as soon as these reasearchers came outside.

There are legends about crows and ravens just about everywhere on his planet.

Click on the link to the blog in my signature.

Thank you for link :tu:

I like these birds, I see them misunderstood among other animals and our legends. in my old culture says they are messengers of the future and they know well the danger intrepretar.also very smart and curious.

I had a 'pet' crow when I was 10 years old... It just flew up to me one day and actually perched on my knee (I was sitting under a tree)... When I tried to shoo it away so I could get up it fluttered about for a moment then landed next to me and followed my every move...

I could not get the darn bird to leave, and after I went into the house for the night it stayed perched on top of the garage...

The next morning it was still there and continued to follow me around - so I kept him...

I named him Edgar Allan Crow and he stayed with me for two years before he just disappeared one day...

One of the best pets I ever had - though he had a tendancy to steal my sisters ear-rings and other shiney things...

Edited by Taun

You all should watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhmZBMuZ6vE

pigeon_crow_brains.jpg

>>> http://kromakhy.blogspot.com/

http://kromakhysiteindex.blogspot.com/

Crows trained in a Japanese zoo to play soccer:

crow_playing_soccer.jpg

And I had a pic of a raven that was trained to collect tin cans in an American zoo, but I lost it.

I have seen no chimp or gorilla do that.

One biologist ( a woman with the name Susan 'Something') said that crows and ravens are inbetween apes and humans concerning intelligence.

She once published about her experiences with her pet crow...

She wanted to take her dog for walkies.

She was doing some stuff inside her house while her dog was waiting for her.

Then she was done, came out of the house to see where her dog was (he already had his collar and leash on), just to find out her pet crow was already leading her dog around in the garden.

==

I could tell you a zillion stories about how smart crows and ravens are.

My blog is just a snapshot.

Edited by Abramelin

Again,thank you for links and info :) ...

Questions :

-Before creating the big cities, the crows have not lived among us, it's true that crows were very good hunters?

-The genetics of crows does not give much information about their ancestors, may be the result of two different birds?!

It makes me kind of regret killing all of those crows with 22's and shotguns when I was in my teens.They're pretty smart.Only problem is farmers hate them because they will destroy a fruit crop in no time flat.And guess what, I lived on a farm with a fruit crop and plenty of crows :devil:

It makes me kind of regret killing all of those crows with 22's and shotguns when I was in my teens.They're pretty smart.Only problem is farmers hate them because they will destroy a fruit crop in no time flat.And guess what, I lived on a farm with a fruit crop and plenty of crows :devil:

Crows are no less of a plague then we humans are.

Let's hope they never find out how to make guns...

Again,thank you for links and info :) ...

Questions :

-Before creating the big cities, the crows have not lived among us, it's true that crows were very good hunters?

-The genetics of crows does not give much information about their ancestors, may be the result of two different birds?!

=1= They were and are carrion eaters, but are quite able to hunt small prey.

Ravens are even able to kill lots larger prey (sheep for instance), and Native Americans could tell you stories about how ravens caused a herd of bison to stampede (intentionally) and run over the edge of a cliff.

=2= It's now known (based on genetics) corvids orginated in Austronesia.

Edited by Abramelin

Ravens are even able to kill lots larger prey (sheep for instance), and Native Americans could tell you stories about how ravens caused a herd of bison to stampede (intentionally) and run over the edge of a cliff.

Ok but why they are still livin' in the big cities? if they can survive in American jungles and forests of Europe, whyseems that they are comfortable living among us?

Do not tell me that humans are to blame cuz they stay in the city, these birds are very intelligent, no need extra garbage eating , so why not go out of town (I mean European cities) to live better?

I have heard that in Japan for years trying to forcing them to go from the big cities and start to live as their ancestors have lived.

Ok but why they are still livin' in the big cities? if they can survive in American jungles and forests of Europe, whyseems that they are comfortable living among us?

Do not tell me that humans are to blame cuz they stay in the city, these birds are very intelligent, no need extra garbage eating , so why not go out of town (I mean European cities) to live better?

I have heard that in Japan for years trying to forcing them to go from the big cities and start to live as their ancestors have lived.

Crows are a lot like dogs in one respect... it's easier - and takes less energy - to feed off of human scraps, than it is to go out and hunt... Human scraps (left over food, road kill, etc) are a 'renewable resource' usually in pretty much the same locale - less searching...

Also - farmers apart - humans tend to drive away the crows other predators...

Edited by Taun

Crows are no less of a plague then we humans are.

Let's hope they never find out how to make guns...

True,but someone needs to keep them in check especially when there is so many it threatens farmers livelihoods and they become an overwhelming nuisance.They over breed and overpopulate where they find plenty of food sort of like the same way pigeons do.They also have no real predators except the occasional human,and being very territorial drive off the larger hawks and owls in the area.They don't know how to make guns,but they do know how to carry deadly viruses.A few years back there was a couple of dozen elderly people in my county that were infected with the West Nile virus after coming in contact with a dead crows which were falling out of the sky all over the place.At least 4 died.

You're right on crows overpopulation being a plague just like humans are though.The article below by a frustrated bird watcher illustrates this pointUnfortunately we can't do anything about humans since we tend to protect out own species -lol

"The crow's overpopulation disallows substantial numbers of hawks or owls to take up habitation in the crow's territorial boundaries. Hawks and owls are the natural predators of raccoons, opossums, skunks and rodents -- all animals that now plague suburbia. Crows simply do not tolerate hawks or owls. They will harass these predatory birds until they are out of the crows' territory."

The overpopulation of crows is also having a negative effect on the dwindling songbird population in what's left of its habitat in suburbia. I have been witness to the horror of a crow raiding a songbird nest, devouring the hatchlings, despite the frantic attempts of the parents to drive it away,

The crow is a fascinating bird, as is the human a remarkable animal. But the overpopulation of both these species is proving disastrous."

My link

Edited by mattryan209

no surprise - Has no-one read the book written by Charles De Lint on our crow friends?

crows for president!

=2= It's now known (based on genetics) corvids orginated in Austronesia.

Correction:

=2= it should be Australasia

Systematics, taxonomy and evolution

Over the years there has been much disagreement on the exact evolutionary relationships of the corvid family and their relatives. What eventually seemed clear was that corvids are derived from Australasian ancestors and from there spread throughout the world. Other lineages derived from these ancestors evolved into ecologically diverse, but often Australasian groups. Sibley and Ahlquist united the corvids with other taxa in the Corvida. The presumed corvid relatives included currawongs, birds of paradise, whipbirds, quail-thrushes, whistlers, monarch flycatchers and drongos, shrikes, vireos and vangas, but current research favors the theory that this grouping is partly artificial. The corvids constitute the core group of the Corvoidea, together with their closest relatives (the birds of paradise, Australian mud-nesters and shrikes). They are also the core group of the Corvida, which includes the related groups, such as orioles and vireos.

Clarification of the interrelationships of the corvids has been achieved based on cladistic analysis of several DNA sequences. The jays and magpies do not constitute monophyletic lineages, but rather seem to split up into an American and Old World lineage, and an Holarctic and Oriental lineage, respectively. These are not closely related among each other. The position of the Azure-winged Magpie, which has always been a major enigma, is even less clear than before.

http://www.tititudorancea.com/z/corvidae.htm

True,but someone needs to keep them in check especially when there is so many it threatens farmers livelihoods and they become an overwhelming nuisance.They over breed and overpopulate where they find plenty of food sort of like the same way pigeons do.They also have no real predators except the occasional human,and being very territorial drive off the larger hawks and owls in the area.They don't know how to make guns,but they do know how to carry deadly viruses.A few years back there was a couple of dozen elderly people in my county that were infected with the West Nile virus after coming in contact with a dead crows which were falling out of the sky all over the place.At least 4 died.

You're right on crows overpopulation being a plague just like humans are though.The article below by a frustrated bird watcher illustrates this pointUnfortunately we can't do anything about humans since we tend to protect out own species -lol

"The crow's overpopulation disallows substantial numbers of hawks or owls to take up habitation in the crow's territorial boundaries. Hawks and owls are the natural predators of raccoons, opossums, skunks and rodents -- all animals that now plague suburbia. Crows simply do not tolerate hawks or owls. They will harass these predatory birds until they are out of the crows' territory."

The overpopulation of crows is also having a negative effect on the dwindling songbird population in what's left of its habitat in suburbia. I have been witness to the horror of a crow raiding a songbird nest, devouring the hatchlings, despite the frantic attempts of the parents to drive it away,

The crow is a fascinating bird, as is the human a remarkable animal. But the overpopulation of both these species is proving disastrous."

My link

Maybe it's not all that bad.. read this article:

http://kromakhy.blogspot.com/2008/03/111-toads-fall-victim-to-crows-in-nt.html

Here is a great link for Native American fables for "Ravens".

Where??

I had a pet crow he was injured when my dad found him and we nursed him back to health ..he was super smart and would do anything for bologna ...then a couple of wild crows came and talked to him...every day for a week ..I dont know what they said but he left with them and we never seen him again

They already clean up trash or make a bigger mess of it.

One day I was walking back from school and I saw a crow with a hurt wing flopping on the ground while these kids kicked it and threw rocks at it... I picked it up and carried it the rest of the way home and took care of it... So, somewhere out there, I suppose I have a crow buddy (: