Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

200kg Giant Squid Caught off Falklands

UM-Bot

news icon rWhile the Falklands Government and International Fishing Companies bemoan the current lack of commercial squid in the Falklands Economic Zone, considerable excitement has been created in the Islands by the catching of a 'giant' squid weighing 200 kilos.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: MercoPress

BurnSide

I wonder, was it dead before the trawler got it's nets on it, as such only bringing up a carcass, or was it alive before getting tangled up?

Hurmm.

MichaelS
I wonder, was it dead before the trawler got it's nets on it, as such only bringing up a carcass, or was it alive before getting tangled up?

Hurmm.

Mostly likely, it was already dead, as many squid and octopus tend to leave along the sea bed.

BurnSide

I have a theory based on the research of Dr. Steve O'Shea that Giant Squids cannot survive in a pressure under 20 atmospheres, or 200 meters. The most obvious example of this was when Dr. O'Shea managed to bait and capture live baby giant squids which died in captivity very shortly after being brought to the surface. Which is why we're having such a hard time seeing them alive.

Skela

Sounds valid to me. Since we haven't seen that many specimens of this species before, it is only logical to assume their habitat is waaay down there, where the pressure is a lot higher. But when we pull em up, should they not bloat up? Kind of like blowing air into a ballon. Because the pressure up here is so much lower than it is down there..

Maybe they're supposed to be a bit smaller?

BurnSide

That's a good point i never thought of that one before.

Since we have never seen them in their natural habitat, it's pure speculation, but i think you're on to something there.

MichaelS

It's very likely that the immense pressure helps their ciruclation, and maintain their proper form.

The ocean is one of the most interesting and unexplored parts of our world. Divers are constantly finding new ruins the further and further they go from shore- indicating a lower sea level at time as well. I feel more research should be done on our oceans.

But dang- a 200 kg squid would a lot of seafood sauce...

AztecInca

Theres a damn lot of kalamari rings and seafood there. thumbsup.gif