Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WWI bodies are found on glacier

vampgirl

The bodies of three Austrian soldiers killed in World War I have been found on an Italian glacier, almost perfectly preserved, an Italian museum says.

The corpses were found at about 3,400m (11,500ft) on the mountain of San Matteo in the Trentino region.

The area was the scene of high-altitude fighting between Austrian and Italian forces towards the end of the war.

Historians believe the men may have died on 3 September 1918, during what was called "the great battle".

The preserved bodies were spotted and retrieved by Maurizio Vincenzi.

Not only is he an amateur historian, but he is also a member of the local mountain rescue team, and the director of the military history museum at the small town of Peio.

The museum announced the discovery on Sunday, after Mr Vincenzi and his colleagues recovered the bodies on Friday.

Mr Vincenzi, 46, said: "Using binoculars, I saw what looked like a stain on the Forni glacier and went to look."

Funeral planned

"When I got close, I discovered they were the bodies of soldiers frozen in the glacier. Nothing like this has ever happened in my lifetime. Bodies haven't been found in the ice around here for decades," he said.

The bodies were preserved by the ice

He said the bodies were found upside down, encased in ice.

Their uniforms included leather belts, a gas mask and a cap with a star on it - all in good condition.

It is thought the men may have died in a grenade attack.

The battle, 86 years ago, was won by the Austrians, but they lost 11 men in the process.

"This is an important discovery from a historical point of view, and exciting for the communities on both sides of the border," said Mr Vicenzi.

A funeral for the men is planned for Tuesday afternoon, after which they will be laid to rest in the local military cemetery.

source

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• zukie&jim

• seventh_son

• ames2787

Make me wonder how many were lost in that fashion? I'm glad that they can at last be recognized for their contribution and their remains laid to rest.

It's amazing that 86 years later these bodies are finally being discovered.

I hope they are burried in the condition they were found in.

cat.gif that is way up there-- these troops should get the proper services !!

there were alot of mysterious events in WW1

i think there was a batallion of british troops lost without a trace in turkey--

the 1st/4th of norfork

Wow.

At least the families can get some closure now and finally set their loved ones to rest.

Ames original.gif

cool.gifohmy.gif ewwww cool.gif

It really does make you wonder how many were lost in the war and even in that fashion doesn`t it?!!?!! huh.gif

Finally they can be reconigsed for their contributions to the war and their country and can noe be laid to rest once and for all!!!

at least they're going to be layed to rest finally but since they were killed 80+ years ago, their immediate family is most likely dead and the sad part is that they died without ever knowing what happened to them