Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Student in Hot Water Over Ex-Lax Brownies

vampgirl

FAIRMONT, Minn. - Pranksters take note: baking Ex-Lax into a tray of brownies and leaving them in the teacher's lounge could put a gross misdemeanor on your record.

That's what happened to Katie Jablinske, a former Fairmont high school student. Jablinske was originally charged with a felony, but she pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor in exchange for the lesser charge.

A judge released Jablinske without jail time under the condition she stay out of trouble for one year.

Jablinske's lawyer, Michael O'Rourke, said he and members of the public "were surprised that something like this could be charged as a felony."

"This was a prank," he said.

Jablinske, 18, who moved to Nebraska to attend college, said in June she was shocked charges were filed in the first place. She said the brownies prank was just a joke and she meant no harm to any teachers.

No one ate the brownies, perhaps because rumors were circulating that they contained rat poison or marijuana.

Police Chief Greg Brolsma said there is nothing specific in the law making so-called pranks legal just because they're meant in jest

source

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reese2

• Fluffybunny

• ames2787

• seventh_son

He he he...

I did that once cos my brother ate all my fudge so I put some in and left it lying around for him to eat.

Sufficed to say he's been put off fudge and he never ate my fudge again lol

Ames original.gif

I've done that before with mud muffin and my step father, I told him not to make a pig of himself with the first lot, he did, so I made a second, Speical Lax batch and said the same thing, then went to the beach, when I came back, there was hardly any left.

Needle less to say, he wasn't around much that night laugh.gif

We all know that ex-lax looks like regular chocolate candy, right? wink2.gif

Well apparently, someone forgot to inform my cousin about this when she came over one day. Trying to "sneak" something from our fridge (she was on a diet) she saw a silver wrapper in the refridgerator door, and opened it, and finding what "she thought" was a candy bar with the wrapper missing. She started cramming it in her mouth, until she had ate the whole thing!!!! blink.gif No need to say, that she was in pain, and couldn't come out of the bathroom all night, and she had to go to the hospital because no-one knew what was wrong with her!!

Then come to find out after the doctor asked her what she had ate that day, when she came to the part about sneaking the "candy bar" out of our fridge, my mom was standing there and said there wasn't any candy in the fridge. Then it dawned on her that my cousin ate the whole bar of ex-lax!!! w00t.gif She was so worried about getting caught eating someone's candy bar, that she didn't even look at the "chocolate" close enough to see that on each little piece was the word,

"Ex-lax"!!!! laugh.gif I don't think she tried sneaking any more candy after that episode!!!! w00t.gif

Ha haha.

Does it taste like regular chocolate cos I don't think we get that here?

Ames original.gif

Well, it is going to be a felony, because that is considered poisoning.

But..................... I know that I have done this before... whistling2.gif

I think thread should be renamed Student in "deep Doo Doo" laugh.gif

I remember when I was a kid that I always thought that this kind of thing was funny.

Somehow it lost its charm along the way. It seems rather mean.

I fail to see the humor in causing pain, discomfort and embarrasment to the teachers(being in a break room, there was no way to know who was going to eat them) who work to give these kids and education so that they can actually achieve something in their life.

Teachers get paid very little compared to others with their same level of education; most of them could go on to get other jobs that paid better and offered more benfits than a teaching job does. Teachers general make the sacrifice of teaching becasue they like to be able to help kids and pass along knowledge. It sure isn't for the money. Most teachers end up spending their own money to get supplies for their own classrooms these days.

Along comes some little punk who decides that she is going to be the rebel and gives the teachers a pan of brownies that makes them all miserable. Great job, as if the teachers don't have enough to worry about, now they have to be concerned about everything they eat and drink while around school for fear of being poisoned by the little rugrats they sacrifice to teach.

Nice.

If it were up to me I would have withheld her diploma, made sure that her college was aware that she hadn't graduated, kicked her out of school and let the police do what they may with her.

Fluffy, I see your point, and I think you're absolutely right.

But I think withholding her diploma would be going too far. It was a stupid teenage prank, and teenagers don't think that far ahead. No sense if ruining their future because of it.

Well, I can see both.. I did play this prank on my older sister years and years ago.. She only ate one piece..

Doing it to an adult teacher, I can definately see it needing to have some tough consequences for. But, I see, Dis, that teenagers often cannot forsee to ahead of the road they are on, to fully understand or comprehend consequences. They should, I am not saying they shouldn't, but it is being a teenager, learning. Part of the good part of being young, is that you are afforded many more chances than being an adult.

But........... What if the teacher had some condition? Like Croan's, or IBS? That would be terrible for them. A lot of pain, and it could possible do terrible damage to their bodies.. So I can see both sides...

The reason I say that her diploma should be withheld is that to me putting something in the teachers food to make them sick is not much different than punching them in the nose; it is an assault of sorts. The act was illegal enough to warrant a felony.

If I were the principal I would make sure to set an example so as to make sure no one tries that again.

When I was in high school there was an older teacher than everyone used to make fun of, he was strict and kind of an old school teacher. You had to take your hat off in his class, no gum chewing, no talking out of line...He was known as being strict; but he was good and when you finished his class you had a good understanding of the subject he tought.

In my sophmore year someone slipped acid into his coffee without him knowing it. He tripped in the middle of class with no idea what was going on. In the process he wet his pants for whatever reason; fear I assume, but I don't know. The guy ended up being taken off in an ambulance as they had orginially assumed he was having some sort of breakdown. When this guy got back to school, all that went around was that he wet himself. for the rest of his days this teacher who had worked for 30 years to teach kids the basis of politics and US government and how they fit into the political system was forever known as Harvey Wee-Wee. The guy retired years ago, and is probably long dead but what little respect he had worked a lifetime to build was taken away by a kid who didn't like the fact that the teacher pushed the kids to understand democracy well enough to make a difference.

WHAT???????? That is terrible!! Slipping acid into his drink, and he had to trip without even knowing he was tripping? Now, that is really bad..

Poor guy............. crying.gifsad.gif I always got along with the strict teachers...

In my sophmore year someone slipped acid into his coffee without him knowing it. He tripped in the middle of class with no idea what was going on. In

Now that should be a felony!!!!

The kid in question bragged about it and ended up doing jail time for assault.

good, because no innocent teacher deserves that