Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bizarre Case of the Kera UFO Encounters

Still Waters

In a case that might have served as one of the inspirations for the Steven Spielberg, J.J. Abrams blockbuster “Super 8,” a group of Japanese kids had repeated run-ins with a small, silver UFO, which they managed to not only photograph, but actually capture for a brief time during the summer of 1972.

There is inexplicably little information to be found — in the western world anyway — regarding the strange series of events that began on August 25th, 1972, in the Kera area of Kōchi City, which is the capital of Kōchi Prefecture on the Shikoku island of Japan. On the afternoon in question a 13 year-old student named Michio Seo was on his way home from middle-school when he allegedly caught site of an unbelievable metallic object hovering over a rice field.

The awestruck Seo watched the odd apparatus zip back and forth above the waterlogged paddy. The airborne object resembled a dull, silver hat with a flat bottom and a narrow lip. The curved dome atop the lip was relatively steep and level at the apex. Seo would later compare the objects movements to that of a bat making hairpin turns in pursuit of its insect prey.

Seo’s curiosity swiftly usurped his fear and he began to approach the miniature flying saucer, but before he could get too close the object allegedly shot a blinding beam toward the teen. Seo, not wishing to further provoke the UFO — or its possible occupants — quickly fled the scene.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Thanks 1

HA!

What an amazing and fun story!

I wonder what I would do if I saw a little UFO zipping around just 3 feet off the ground....

• Like 1

HA!

What an amazing and fun story!

I wonder what I would do if I saw a little UFO zipping around just 3 feet off the ground....

I'd probably swat it with a flyswatter! ;)

• Haha 1

The first picture was obviously taken at night with a flash. The object then allegedly went up and crashed back into the ground. Miro then walked over, picked up the object, and a photo of him holding the object was taken.

The photo of Miro holding the object in the field was obviously taken during the day. The field and the distant background is lit from an overcast sky. These two photos don't add up with the story.

I like the story. I like any time a UFO is disabled by something trivial like a camera flash. Also there have been very few UFO reports from Japan compared to the rest of the world for some reason.

• Like 2

• 11 years later...
13 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

I found it fascinating.

Me too. Although it's 99,9% fake that small part of me wants to believe. Japanese are very creative and have cool ways to get you into the story.