Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Questions for a Christian

DrStrangelove

My observation of this thread is that many here, beyond inconsistency and inaccuracy found that God has been violent, vengeful and cruel, especially in the Old Testament, which is quite differemt with the man-God Jesus who is all merciful. If that's the case for you, I hope you can understand in O.T. the God is very rightfully wrathful at His creation gone haywired and turned into a nature that's incompatible with but hated by Him. That's exactly where salvation came in in the N.T., and it takes a great price to save us from the Wrath of God judgemental. By the way I am also of the opinion that the recording of historic events in the O.T. may just be written with a national zeal that may have influenced the writer's perception of God throughout the people's history. God was there none the less, and so is human perception and fallability.

Rightfully? How the hell can you justify killing many, many people for not believing in the christian God? If you go ahead and claim that its ok, then I guess you can take the extra step and say "Well, the majority of the people who died in the WTC werent muslim, so its ok! It was their Gods will!"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saucy

• Stellar

• LittleIrishVampiress

• BurnSide

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth is, it's been going to happen since Jesus was alive. Everyday it was going to happen, and it STILL hasn't.

That disproves Jesus right there in my opinion.

You say, "Oh God is cruel, he killed millions here or thousands there, but truth is, it is God who takes everyone's life one way or another. Everyone is going to die. Rarely does anyone live to be healthy old man. A lot of people do, but not everyone. You think it's a bad thing to die, but that's your perspective. If God does exist and killed those people which you are so angry about, then there is a place called heaven that they went. God is a just God. Justice prevails him. You make it sound so bad that he sends people to hell. It's no different than a murderer getting life or executed or putting away some other kind of scum. You're happy when that happens, but when God wants to create a perfect heaven full of happiness, something this world is not, you scoff.

When Jesus was talking about it happening in their generation, he didn't mean their exact generation in their lifetimes. Even the disciples thought Jesus was going to come back in their lifetime, but they didn't pay attention to the signs Jesus gave. When he meant their generation, it meant something different. There are seperate generations than what we know them as. Remember, these texts were translated from Hebrew and Greek and a lot of the english words don't mean the same as they were expressed in Hebrew.

If you want proof that the events in the bible are accurate, first go though and study history. Sodom and that other city I don't want to try and pronounce was totally taken out in the bible story. Archeologists have found both cities and they were destoryed the way the bible describes they were. They think they have found Noah's Ark. The earthquake mentioned in the bible after Jesus died on the cross actually did happen. If you go through and look at all these events that the bible says happened and see that archeologists so far have found everything to be true (in the sense of this city was here and was taken out by this force or army or whatever). Then move on from there.

if you were to die right now and come face to face with the biblical god, what would you do?? what would you say?? would you start off by questioning the lord?? maybe even argue with him?? or give yourself completely to him in utter trust and obedience??

You would have no alternative but to fall face down and worship his majesty.

ah, never mind that c***! tongue.gif what would honestly you do or say??? i know i would argue until my unsatible soul is satisfied!! and if not satisfied i would turn my back on him.

mind you, i dont believe in the biblical god.

Speak for yourself joc. I'd have a few questions for the good old boy. I seriously doubt that if a ominipotent omniprescent creator of all things god actually exists that he would be so self centered as to need people groveling at his feet in fear.

It just doesn't make sense.

Speak for yourself joc. I'd have a few questions for the good old boy. I seriously doubt that if a ominipotent omniprescent creator of all things god actually exists that he would be so self centered as to need people groveling at his feet in fear.

aye, dear fluffy one thumbsup.gif

QUOTE (joc @ Aug 28 2004, 08:25 AM) 
You would have no alternative but to fall face down and worship his majesty

You think you would, but in reality if you came face to face with God Almighty, the one who created the foundations of the universe, you would have no questions, you would be in complete and total AWE. He doesn't need people groveling at His feet. It would just be an instinctive and instantaneous thing to do, to fall down and worship Him. I know you aren't a believer Fluffy, but the scriptures say that when Jesus returns, Every eye shall see him and every knee shall bow. Not because he commands it and we become robots, but rather because of the Majesty and Awesomeness and Inconceivable Awe....

hmm...im not sure dontgetit.gif i mean, maybe for awhile id be awestruck, but ill still have my questions and doubts once the 'oh my god' feeling subsides. as you say, we are not robots and have a conscience and anyone with doubts still in their soul will eventually question the lord, maybe not to his face...but the doubts will still linger..

You say, "Oh God is cruel, he killed millions here or thousands there, but truth is, it is God who takes everyone's life one way or another.

Good point. So I guess we should attribute all death, disease, and all evil to him too!

If God does exist and killed those people which you are so angry about, then there is a place called heaven that they went.

I dont think so.. considering that he considered them so bad that he killed them.

God is a just God.

God is an unjust God.

Justice prevails him.

He knows nothing of justice.

You make it sound so bad that he sends people to hell.  It's no different than a murderer getting life or executed or putting away some other kind of scum.  You're happy when that happens, but when God wants to create a perfect heaven full of happiness, something this world is not, you scoff.

First of all, I have a death penalty. Second of all, last I checked, the civilised world isnt putting people in prison for life, nor killing them, because they dont believe in the Christian God.

When Jesus was talking about it happening in their generation, he didn't mean their exact generation in their lifetimes.

You know that how?

This is a common excuse when things dont turn out the way they most obviously should have. Since when did you stop taking the bible literally, btw?

When he meant their generation, it meant something different.

When I say someone is a damn ignorant b****** and get in trouble for it... I'll just say "No, I didnt mean that! I meant it differently... the way I meant it... it was a compliment!"

Remember, these texts were translated from Hebrew and Greek and a lot of the english words don't mean the same as they were expressed in Hebrew.

Which opens the way to many errors in the Bible, right?

If you want proof that the events in the bible are accurate, first go though and study history.

Yes, go study history, please. Be my guest.

Sodom and that other city I don't want to try and pronounce was totally taken out in the bible story.

Gammorah.

Archeologists have found both cities and they were destoryed the way the bible describes they were.

Sorry. No one found any city which was destroyed by God. Its obvious that some cities will have been destroyed by various reasons, and you cant find 2 and say "See, these were the ones that were talked about in the Bible! Its proof!"

Things dont work that way. And you know what? I'm more inclined to believe the Mahabharata stories which, to modern interpretation, seem to talk about an advanced ancient world which destroyed itsself with bombs more than "God did it."

As I said, Sodom and Gamorrah have not been proven nor found yet.

They think they have found Noah's Ark.

They think they've found the Ark for hundreds of years now. And you know what? When they finally find remenants of A boat (lots of civilizations were seafearing, so we'll possibly find the wreckage of an ancient boat...) people will come out and say its the ark without proof.

The earthquake mentioned in the bible after Jesus died on the cross actually did happen.

Never heard of that.

If you go through and look at all these events that the bible says happened and see that archeologists so far have found everything to be true (in the sense of this city was here and was taken out by this force or army or whatever).  Then move on from there.

A city existing and being taken over by an army, or even going to the extent of saying a city existed and was destroyed by a large fireball sent by god (biblically speaking) is not proof of the Bible. Neither is a city being destroyed by what seems to be a large explosion. You may put whatever "God did it" slant you want on it, but theres a more logical and believable version to it all. Meteorites have hit the Earth many times before. I could write a story about how I saw a bright fireball from the sky sent by God streaking down to the Earth... and if they find that I was talking about a meteorite, that doesnt prove that it was sent by God.

hmm...im not sure  i mean, maybe for awhile id be awestruck, but ill still have my questions and doubts once the 'oh my god' feeling subsides. as you say, we are not robots and have a conscience and anyone with doubts still in their soul will eventually question the lord, maybe not to his face...but the doubts will still linger..

I really don't think you would ever 'get over' the 'oh my god' feeling. You have to consider the depth and maginitude of the Almighty...it isn't comparable to your favorite rock star....It is Infinite Awe, Infinite Maginificence,Infinite Non-questionable....created atomic structure, kind of Awe....Infinite Grace...Infinite Wisdom....

What's your point Stellar? Why are you picking apart another persons post just because YOU don't agree with it. I see alot of this here...Why can't you just state your own opinion without comparing it, and trying to take the credibility out of another persons? Believe it or not, you CAN have your opinion, and others can have their own, at the same time.

How do you know, joc? Have you met him?

What's your point Stellar? Why are you picking apart another persons post just because YOU don't agree with it. I see alot of this here...Why can't you just state your own opinion without comparing it, and trying to take the credibility out of another persons? Believe it or not, you CAN have your opinion, and others can have their own, at the same time.

Dont get into these things. You dont know the history of these forums.

OK

I have seen 4 legitimate posts and a LOT of back and forth about the bible

I closed this thread once, and re opened it with some conditions

Those conditions were not followed.

For those who really did ask questions, and wanted answers they did not know, i apologize. those who knew full well the answers to their questions, and were only provoking argument are the reason this thread is being shut down.

you know who you are.

Dr. Strangelove let everyone know he wants his knowledge tested, PM him if you have genuine questions.