Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Scientology a religion ?

Persia

Since 1993, Scientology, which many people have long considered to be a “cult,” has been a religion in the eyes of the United States government, with the tax exemption that goes along with that. But whether it is actually a “religion” in the way that most of us think about religion is a wholly different matter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/guest-voices/post/is-scientology-a-religion/2011/07/17/gIQATEnSKI_blog.html

as cruel as it may sound, i always considered it to be a 'joke' aimed at rich pple

as cruel as it may sound, i always considered it to be a 'joke' aimed at rich pple

Unfortunately, it isn't the rich people who suffer. It's the people who have to "work" off their debts.

Nibs

I always wondered about this one! I watched a dvd published by the Scientologist's and it didnt really make any sence? it just talked about nonsence never really stating what they beleive in? and I have passed a few of there chuches? now I know it's a cult and a scam.

like most religion's it's better left alone!

Is there a religious cult that is not dangerous and evil?

There are religious cults that aren't dangerous or evil. We have a few of them around where I live. Many of them have been around since the 60s... they're kind of goofy "love everything love everyone hippy" communes more or less with their own weird little doctrines, but they aren't hurting anyone around them or themselves. I had a friend in HS that grew up in one. He didn't believe what they believed by that age, and had actually gone to live with his father outside the commune, but there was nothing nefarious going on inside the commune, it was just off-beat. It was considered a cult, but not "dangerous" cult... There seems to be strong differences.

As far as Scientologist go... and trust me I find them every bit as distasteful as Nibs does... really really don't like them... I'm not sure they FULLY qualify as a "dangerous cult" by the definition of the word. However, the FBI does have them on their Dangerous Cult Watch List. If they aren't technically a dangerous cult, they are teetering on a knife edge of earning that classification. Luckily, thanks to the Internet... Scientology is having a hard time keeping its secrets secret.... and the "church" is bleeding money and members. Give it another 20-30 years and they'll be gone for good.

But isn't Tom Cruise one of the leaders by now? I remember that being said after his beautiful speech leaked.

Oh, by the way, I have casually met Tom Cruise on 2 occasions, and he did not seem "a few bricks short" at all. Just a bit stiff and eccentric.

No hes more like a lot of bricks short or the most gullible celebrity there is. He fully believes that once he reaches a certain level in the organization, he will learn all their secrets including the ability to fly

No hes more like a lot of bricks short or the most gullible celebrity there is. He fully believes that once he reaches a certain level in the organization, he will learn all their secrets including the ability to fly

The sad thing about that is - he actually thinks it is true.. what a plonker

The sad thing about that is - he actually thinks it is true.. what a plonker

Maybe that explains the time he was jumping up and down on Oprah's couch. He was getting in some takeoff practice. :)

In my opinion ALL religions started as a Cult. Christianity started as a handful of followers didn't it.??? Scientolgy the same way...and many,many others.

Actually, it started out as a flavour of Judaism. It was called a cult IIRC, but not in the meaning we think of the word now, more "just a faction within a collective with their own beliefs".

After reading stories from people who left Scientology I would think anyone would be hard pressed to NOT call it a cult. The Sea Org faction of Scientology alone is responsible for billion year contracts with underage kids to be in the organization and be paid slave wages to do the cults work for them. Lately there have been quite a few high up members who have left and then given accounts of some of the actions of the cult including intimidation, kidnapping, false imprisonment, the list goes on and on. The cult uses the tax dodge to great effect as they lavish gifts on celebs like Tom Cruise and others. If you think about it, the cult constitutes the perfect pyramid scheme. Multitudes of followers bring in a cash flow under the guise of enlightenment which is then used to fund the lavish lifestyles of a few key members so they can rub elbows with famouse people. It is a scheme and a cult.

• 1 year later...

Scientology can be used for good and for evil, the Church of Scientology has chosen the latter. The CofS may be legally a church, but they are a criminal organization. Like any other religion or cult, the Church seeks to control others. The technology that was to set man free had been altered by the church to control and to fleece its members' bank accounts. I know, I am one of the survivors.

Edited by FreeZoner
  • Like 1

We have had several cases on that in Germany, and Scientology was never allowed to operate as a religious community. The official status they have in Germany is that of membership corporation, very much like a sports or cigar club. They are also under close observation by the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution.

I am glad it is like that, as I very much believe that is is a cult. A very dangerous and evil one indeed.

The US needs to implement the same actions against these shiesters. The mone this cult is stealing from its members could probabl`/ take care of our national debt.

Scientology can be used for good and for evil, the Church of Scientology has chosen the latter. The CofS may be legally a church, but they are a criminal organization. Like any other religion or cult, the Church seeks to control others. The technology that was to set man free had been altered by the church to control and to fleece its members' bank accounts. I know, I am one of the survivors.

I`m glad you`re out of the CofS. Good for you!

I`m sure you could tell some horrifying stories.