Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Major Blast in OSLO

HMS Dreadnought

Apparently Ansar al Jihad al Alami are taking responsability of both incidents, in response to Norway troops in Afganistan, and the insults to their so called "holy prophet".

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arglebargle

• questionmark

• EllJay

• Raptor Witness

Apparently Ansar al Jihad al Alami are taking responsability of both incidents

Don't tell me, they're "believed to have links to Al Qaeda"?

Of course, this doesn't in any way suggest that the assassination of the Most Evil Man In The World a few months back might not have actually made any difference at all, of course; no, it'll be proof of how Islamic Terrorist Groups are prostrated with grief at the death of BL, and so it'll prove how effective Team Six's gallantry was.

:rolleyes:

The man apprehended at Utøya (the island of the shooting) is claimed to have been a blond long man speaking Norwegian without any accent dressed as a policeman, and seem to have directed a large groups of young people together at first with some excuse to inform that there might be a threat, or that it was a matter of security related to the bombings in Oslo.

When they were grouped he started to open fire.

Information is very sketchy right now, but this is one report.

Edited by EllJay

I can't say I'm shocked, even a little. It was quite overdue to be honest. And uhm, theres now 7 confirmed kills in the explosion with a number of additional wounded, and another 20-30 killed in a related shooting at Utøya, which was a camp area for politically involved youth for the party AP which is the party in power now. The PM Jens Stoltenberg was meant to be there today, but he didn't show up. The island held approximately 560 people so it could have been a lot worse, and the bombing happened in the part of the city that is always the densest when it comes to people, like tourists and so forth.

Incidentally, I used to live very close to the bomb site for some time. I wonder if I knew anyone in the blast. Probably not.

Oslo explosion: Is al-Qaeda behind this?

It is not yet known who – or what – was behind the gigantic explosion that hit central Oslo this afternoon. But here are three factors that are worth bearing in mind.

Possible links to al-Qaeda and terrorist networks in Britain and the US

Definitely al-Qaeda's modus operandi we will have to wait and see.

The "Possible links to al-Qaeda" or "Believed to be linked to al-Qaeda" is a knee jerk journalistic reflex.

There is nothing that point to that now.

On the other hand a report is in that point to a more likely scenario, mostly because the attack at the political meeting at Utøya.

Police believe the same man is behind both attacks. They suspect that it does not apply to international terrorism, but a home version directed at Norway's political system. The police know of the environment the apprehended has connections to, according to NTB. The man sat in interrogation on Friday evening.

- We still do not know what weapons he used, if he were operating alone at both events or one of a group, says Sponheim to NTB.

Middle East News seems to think it was Al Qaeda see link here.

I wonder who have the latest and most concrete insight and information regarding this.

NTB or Middle Eats News??

its a who done it alright? was it a nutcase?

its a who done it alright? was it a nutcase?

Seemed to be more coordinated. First a couple of explosions downtown and then a guy posing as a cop at a political youth meeting rounded up a bunch of people and told them it was a precaution in reaction to the bombings downtown, then turned on them and opened fire, killing at least ten people. The prime minister was supposed to be there, so I'm guessing they tried to pop him by creating a panic and then using it as an excuse to get close to the guy. But that failed pretty hard so he killed a bunch of other people instead. And when you factor in all of this, it's likely we're dealing with an organization of some sort. i kinda doubt it's al quaeda however, because it seems strange for them to do something like this a decade after we got involved with iraq and afghanistan. Seems to me to be a reaction to libya instead, and we were threatened in regards to this not that long ago, from what I have heard - but I shouldn't trust what I hear.

Was Norway considered a "soft" target - easier than the US or UK?

Norway police: 'Eighty killed' in island shooting

At least 80 people died when a gunman opened fire at an island youth camp in Norway, hours after a bomb attack on the capital, Oslo, police say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259356

So add in the already 7 dead from the bombing... 87 people at least so far. What the hell was this guy's problem?

edit: cnn has more info-

Oslo, Norway (CNN) -- At least 80 people are dead as a result of a rampage Friday on a Norwegian island, police said, an attack that came shortly after an explosion killed seven others in the Scandinavian nation's capital.

Police have detained a 32-year-old Norwegian man who they suspect opened fire on scores at the ruling Labour Party's youth camp on Utoya Island, about 20 miles from Oslo. Police spokesman Are Frykholm, who told CNN early Saturday about the death toll spike, said authorities are investigating further, based on information from the man.

That attack and the massive explosion in the heart of Oslo are definitely linked, police said.

Seven were killed in the attack in the Norwegian capital, officials said. In all, 90 people were hospitalized as a result of the Oslo blast, said Erik Hansen, a spokesman for Oslo Mayor Fabian Stang.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/22/norway.explosion/index.html?iref=BN1&hpt=hp_t1

------

Been following this all day. I still don't know what to think. Granted this guy had military training but jeez, this guy went full Rambo.

edit again- msnbc has some more info on the shooter-

The suspect in the twin attacks Friday that killed dozens of people in Norway was identified early Saturday as a 32-year-old Norwegian farmer.

TV2, the country's largest broadcaster, and the newspaper Dagbladet identified him as Anders Behring Breivik, 32, describing him as a member of right-wing extremist groups. Shortly thereafter, The Telegraph newspaper of London reported the same information, citing Norwegian Justice Minister Knut Storberget.

Behring Breivik was still being questioned early Saturday and had not been charged, authorities told Dagenblat.

A Facebook profile for an Oslo man of that name and age was removed early Saturday. It included a profile photo identical to the one being used by Norwegian media. In the profile, he listed himself as "single," "Christian" and "conservative" and says he is director of Breivik Geofarm.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43857267/ns/world_news-europe/

Edited by __Kratos__

What's the worst thing they do to premeditated kid killers in Norway?

1311378457373_34.jpg

Anders Behring Breivik

My first trillion dollar guess will be he's been hopped up on and off of SSRI's.

-wait for it..... it'll come out in a week or two.... sometimes sooner.

Been following this all day. I still don't know what to think. Granted this guy had military training but jeez, this guy went full Rambo.

Not that hard to do when no one is shooting back.

If there is one "one lone wolf" in every ten thousand, that's 300,000,000/10,000 = 30,000 in the U.S. alone.

If it's one in a hundred thousand, then you're talking about 3,000 in the U.S.

If it's one in a million, then you're talking about 300 int he U.S. at any given time.

Who knows what the real number is, but I bet Nancy Grace has the answer ....

What's the worst thing they do to premeditated kid killers in Norway?

The maximum sentence here is 21 years in jail. And our jails are quite cheerful places, it's a bit like a stay at a motel, except you can't leave except with a squad of cops with you. But he's probably gonna be out on parole in about a decade, as most of the people who get sentenced to 21 years do. They tend to get out on good behaviour a lot sooner, unless they try to escape or something like that.

The problem is that everyone know who he is, and chances are pretty good that we'll see vigilante justice when he does come out.

EDIT: the kill count is confirmed at a total of 91 at the moment. That's for both the bomb and the shootings.

Edited by Ranyhyn

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10080627

Norwegian article. Translating a disturbing part of it:

Ungdommer VG har snakket med beskriver imidlertid også en annen gjerningsmann - som ikke var iført politiuniform.

Vedkommende var i følge dem rundt 180 centimeter høy, hadde tykt mørkt hår og så nordisk ut. Han hadde en pistol i høyrehånden og et gevær på ryggen.

Witnesses VG has talked to describe TWO shooters. The sociopath who was arrested and another one who looked nordic, with dark hair, who was not wearing a police uniform and had a gun in his hand and a rifle on his back.

- Jeg er helt sikkert på at det ble skutt fra to forskjellige plasser på øya samtidig, sier han.

"- I'm completely certain that there was shots fired from two different spots on the island at the same time, he said."

- Jeg har overbevist om at det var to personer som skjøt, sier Aleksander Stavdal (23).

"- I'm convinced that there were two people shooting, says Aleksander Stavdal (23)."

- Jeg så hvordan en gutt lå på bakken. Han skalv og ristet, før de kom bort og skjøt ham en gang til.

"- I saw how a boy was lying on the ground. He was shaking and trembling, before they came over and shot him again."

Edited by Chronii

I don't think there was a 2nd guy, hope not, but it seems to be a lone person who did this.

Very sad, I guess this attack really is alot like the Oklahoma City bombing in regards to the type of ideology that influenced the perpetrator(s), which is right wing extremism.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was another attacker at the shooting site at the youth camp. The eyewitness accounts from the article posted above seems to support the idea that there were two people shooting.

Let's be a little wary here, with the eyewitness testimony. Don't forget that they were in the worst possible location for an objective, reasonable, point of view.