Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists think they have found Atlantis

SunDogDayze

The story of Atlantis comes from the books of Plato who described it as a large island in the middle of the Atlantic beyond the Pillars of Hercules which is today Gibralter. Evidence? He mentions a rich continent beyond Atlantis (America) and there have been underwater pyramids and structures fround off Cuba.

Right, and what is the number of the comic book you got all that info from?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• Taita

• questionmark

• cormac mac airt

IF you want to do a littl research on Atlantis, look up the following topic on google: Plato Timaes; Cuba underwater ruins

YOu can actually see Plato (300BC) words about Atlantis, its location in the middle of the Atlantic beyond the Pillars of Hercles, and describes a continent on the other side of Atlantis. Guess what continent he was mentioning? Did Columbus read his book?

You can see pictures of she underwater ruins including a pyramid off the coast of Cuba. I wonder were they came from?

Edited by Mike 215

IF you want to do a littl research on Atlantis, look up the following topic on google: Plato Timaes; Cuba underwater ruins

YOu can actually see Plato (300BC) words about Atlantis, its location in the middle of the Atlantic beyond the Pillars of Hercles, and describes a continent on the other side of Atlantis. Guess what continent he was mentioning? Did Columbus read his book?

You can see pictures of she underwater ruins including a pyramid off the coast of Cuba. I wonder were they came from?

We all know about those photos/scans showing regular structures in the deep sea near Cuba.

But that's it, and it was like 6 years ago.

No follow-up, nothing.

That should tell you something, eh?

We all know about those photos/scans showing regular structures in the deep sea near Cuba.

But that's it, and it was like 6 years ago.

No follow-up, nothing.

That should tell you something, eh?

Yees, but they also claimed to have seen electrical lights down there, powered by some kind of perpetual motion machine, and the guy was p*** drunk when he said it. at a bareque. That's the only source I've ever seen at least.

• 2 weeks later...
"Freund's discovery in central Spain of a strange series of "memorial cities,"

150 miles inland from Cadiz you find the "strange memorial City" of Cordoba.. :w00t:

Seriously?? Nothing starnge there at all - why call it a "memorial City"?? :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Everything is Atlantis--until they figure out it is not.

Ok ok I'll be less pessimistic. That's really neat!

Frozen muck in Alaska, as well as caves in Britain, and in the ice in Siberia among other spots worldwide, contain the remains of woolly mammoths, hippos, horses, trees etc thrust together and crushed. Undigested food is found in their mouths and stomachs. Tropical plants and buttercups do not grow on ice. There had to be planet wide upheaval for these collections to have taken place. Only a few sources claim humans being found in these collections. Civilizations existing at this time were Atlantis, Mu and Lemuria. A pole shift with melting ice would put Atlantis at the South Pole, Mu would be underwater off Japan and Lemuria under the Med.

Civilizations existing at this time were Atlantis, Mu and Lemuria. A pole shift with melting ice would put Atlantis at the South Pole, Mu would be underwater off Japan and Lemuria under the Med.

Nice story, but science has already shown that the South Pole has been coverecd in ice (via ice-core date) for c.420,000 BP - 740,000 BP. These would encompass the large sheets at Dome F, Vostok and EPICA/Dome C. Also that continental plates only move, on average, a few centimeters per year. In Southeast Asia, Sundaland is the only sizeable area which would have been above sea level (to some degree) in the ancient past and is nowhere near Japan. And Lemuria was the name (used by Philip Schlater in 1864) for a non-existant place in the Indian Ocean, to explain the existance of ancient Lemurs in Madagascar and India. This is before the subject of plate tectonics was understood.

cormac

The muck in Alaska, just north of Fairbanks, became a crushed together mess by a massive upheaval. Only a pole shift would be able to transport these creatures fast enough into an area that will freeze instantly. The woolly mammoths dug out of the ice in Siberia are being eaten by wolves and sled dogs. Thirteen thousand year old meat, thawed and eaten, had to have been instantly frozen to the stomach for the buttercups and tropical plants to not be digested. It happened so fast, food was still in their mouths. If I see a giant wave coming at me, I have time to spit out anything in my mouth to at least scream. A wave would not be able to push these creatures into caves in Britain and elsewhere. A pole shift that takes only minutes would send surface objects sweeping across whatever landscape and settle in cracks, crevices, caves etc. This would not be the first time, dinosaur parks around the world show bones from various dinos together in crushed groups. La Brea tar pits are a collection of this type.

Link To Frozen Muck

Interwiew With Alot Of Information

You link me to a site that says Einstein was wrong.

These topics are all valid and need more exploration.

Another "expert" featured on MOM was author/researcher David Hatcher Childress. Here is a list of Childress' books, retrieved from various sites on the internet. They cover a wide range of topics such as free-energy devices, anti-gravity devices, artificial gravity, anti-mass generators, gravitational pulse drive, vortex propulsion, how to build flying saucers, the flying saucer technology of Nazi Germany, flying saucer propulsion, government UFO conspiracies, Roswell, death rays, ozone generators, thought machines, crystals and their role in levitation, inhabitants and structures on many of the planets and moons of the solar system, lost cities in Africa, the Americas, and Asia, living dinosaurs and pterodactyls, crystal skulls, Irish Incas, Atlantean ruins, King Solomon's mines, the Ark of the Covenant, Jesus' tomb, Moslem Illuminati, Noah's Ark, the Hollow Earth, Nazca lines, Yetis, giants, megaliths, ley lines, acoustic levitation, and more! Judge for yourself whether these interests are the credentials of a scientific expert, or a pseudo-scientific expert. Clearly, the producers of MOM considered Childress a scientific expert.

Putting the puzzle together

Mayan and I-Ching calandars ending 12-21-12 or poss 10-28-11

Sun rises in middle of Milky Way

Crossing the Galactic Plane N - S

Cross every 13,000 years

13,000 years ago mass extinctions of woolly mammoth, saber-toothed tiger

Spinx body older than face - Body has water damage

Elenin moon of Nibiru red dwarf

NASA announces existence of brown dwarfs

Nibiru has rings like Saturn

Red rings will look like horns

Elenin looks green-blue - Blue Cachina

Nibiru red rings - Red Cachina

Elenin crosses Earth's path 10-28-11

Earth enters debris field second week on Nov

Leonid meteor shower 11-17-11 second week in Nov

Discoverer changed his name to Leonid Elenin

Interesting times, we find out real soon

You link me to a site that says Einstein was wrong.

Because he was and the link explains why he was.

David Hatcher Childress = Expert at BS. A paragon of willful ignorance. :rolleyes:

As to a few points to your "puzzle":

Sun rises in middle of Milky Way

No it doesn't. Our solar system is located on an outer arm of the Milky Way Galaxy and nowhere near the middle.

13,000 years ago mass extinctions of woolly mammoth, saber-toothed tiger

Untrue, as there were Wooly Mammoths (pygmy) and Saber-toothed Tigers living as recently as 9000 BC.

Elenin moon of Nibiru red dwarf

Untrue as there is no such planet as Nibiru, contrary to the fabrications of Zechariah Sitchin. Nibru AKA Nibiru was the name for the ancient city of Nippur IN IRAQ. Nor is there a red dwarf heading into the solar system as such would already have shown a quite noticeable effect on the outer planets already. And it's already been reported in the scientific community that Comet Elenin is showing signs of breaking up.

Discoverer changed his name to Leonid Elenin

Do you have a citation from a reputable scientific journal, perhaps? Fringe sources are irrelevant.

cormac

Mayan and I-Ching calandars ending 12-21-12 or poss 10-28-11

The Mayan "Long Count", as it should be called, is a cycle that restarts in 2220, not 2012:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=2684&showentry=24067

The I-Ching is not a calendar at all: it is a Chinese system of divination, using sticks or coins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching

Edited by Abramelin

Frozen muck in Alaska, as well as caves in Britain, and in the ice in Siberia among other spots worldwide, contain the remains of woolly mammoths, hippos, horses, trees etc thrust together and crushed. Undigested food is found in their mouths and stomachs. Tropical plants and buttercups do not grow on ice.

No tropical plant has ever been found in relation to any arctic animal.

Buttercups do grow on ice. Google the arctic buttercup, for one.

It was arctic buttercups that were found undigested in mammoth's stomachs.

It is only normal that undigested food would be found in the stomachs of pachyderms. Google that, if you don't believe me.

There had to be planet wide upheaval for these collections to have taken place.

Sorry, but no.

Animals die all the time without some "planet wide upheaval."

Only a few sources claim humans being found in these collections. Civilizations existing at this time were Atlantis, Mu and Lemuria. A pole shift with melting ice would put Atlantis at the South Pole, Mu would be underwater off Japan and Lemuria under the Med.

There has never been any physical pole shift. Only magnetic, which is basically harmless.

Atlantis is a fantasy concocted by Plato. Lemuria is a word coined only in the 19th century to explain the existence of lemur fossils on the mainland of Asia. Mu is a word made up by LePlongeon.

Google all these, again, if you don't believe me.

Harte

The next could be a reasonable explanation for finding frozen mammoths (and other animals) with food (herbs) still in their mouths or undigested in their stomachs; I posted it several times before, but it won't hurt to do it again:

What many people seem to forget is that during the ice age huge lakes were formed because rivers got dammed by ice (in Siberia there was such a lake that was twice the size of the present Caspian Sea, and there are traces that point to catastrophic floodings when the ice dams breached).

When an ice dam breached because the pressure of the water on the dam became too great, the resulting huge flash flood could have drowned those mammoths in freezing cold water. The carcasses of these animals would finally come to rest on another ice field or glacier further down stream of the flood, and be frozen rock solid, and later be covered with layers of snow and become part of the glacier for many millennia to come.

The Mayan "Long Count", as it should be called, is a cycle that restarts in 2220, not 2012:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=2684&showentry=24067

The I-Ching is not a calendar at all: it is a Chinese system of divination, using sticks or coins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching

I disagree strongly with that persons interpretation of the Mayan Calander. It requires accepting a thesis as the defining proof everyone else has been wrong all along. It has not been peer accepted or promoted as the new reference for all things to do with the Mayan Calander. When the community accepts this thesis as accurate and revises the start date of the calander I will. Until then it is as it is treated, as side note under investigation and, as yet, neither supported nor confirmed.

As Andreas Fuls uses a rigid, observable point and time of venus' position, it would seem no one would have contested his observation and conclusion about the 200+ year variance. It hasn't happened and that should speak volumes for the credibility of the observation.

I am not saying it will not be confirmed eventually. It is just very peculiar that such an immutable and exacting fact can not be corroberated and made mainstream in almost 6 years. I guess we will see eventually.

For those interested:

The Tzolkin is a 260-day calendar based around the period of human gestation. It is composed of 20 day-signs, each of which has 13 variations, and was (and still is) used to determine character traits and time harmonics, in a similar way to Western astrology. The Maya also used a 365-day calendar called the Haab, and a Venus calendar, plus others. They measured long time periods by means of a Long Count, in which one 360-day year (a "Tun"), consists of 18 x 20-day "months" ("Uinals"). Twenty of these Tuns is a Katun; 20 Katuns is a Baktun (nearly 400 years); and 13 Baktuns adds up to a "Great Cycle" of 1,872,000 days, ( 5200 Tuns, or about 5125 years).

No tropical plant has ever been found in relation to any arctic animal.

Buttercups do grow on ice. Google the arctic buttercup, for one.

It was arctic buttercups that were found undigested in mammoth's stomachs.

It is only normal that undigested food would be found in the stomachs of pachyderms. Google that, if you don't believe me.

Sorry, but no.

Animals die all the time without some "planet wide upheaval."

There has never been any physical pole shift. Only magnetic, which is basically harmless.

Atlantis is a fantasy concocted by Plato. Lemuria is a word coined only in the 19th century to explain the existence of lemur fossils on the mainland of Asia. Mu is a word made up by LePlongeon.

Google all these, again, if you don't believe me.

Harte

Palto regurgitated info recorded in Egypt and passed on to him by the priests. It may be hooie but it isn't Plato's. Lets try to be intellectually honest, consistent and accurate when we atempt to assainate someones character, even those a few thousand years dead.

Mark

P.S. Pole shift is constanat and about 1 degree per million years and within the last 200 million years has only shifted by 30 degrees. However, maagnetic shifts occur all the time, relatively, mostly between 8 and 15k years apart. I have yet to find a reference to a solid earth axis flip by the scientific community and the hypothosis it has or will happen are discredited anywhere they are discussed.

Edited by Taita

Plato regurgitated info recorded in Egypt and passed on to him by the priests.

Not really. Plato claimed that the story originated with Egyptian priests during the time of Solon whom himself told it to Dropides, who told it to the elder Critias, who told it to the younger Critias who told it to Plato. Although none of these alleged recipients appear to have ever left anything to support this claim. And there is no evidence in Ancient Egypt (and particularly Sais) that any such place ever existed, by any name, throughout its history.

It may be hooie but it isn't Plato's.

It's not Solon's or the Ancient Egyptians, either.

Pole shift is constanat and about 1 degree per million years and within the last 200 million years has only shifted by 30 degrees.

Which has no bearing on humanity, who as a genus (Homo) have only been around for about 2.5 million years.

cormac

Not really. Plato claimed that the story originated with Egyptian priests

Sorry, point taken and well corrected. I knew that too :/ Point was it wasn't Plato's story. It was in fact much much older and corroberated amoung many other writers and histories and these far older than Plato. He was in fact making money telling a history as he had heard and read about it. Nothing more.

This doesn't mean it was a fantastic place either. Just that IMO it likely existed in some form, somewhere, likely west of Italy and possibly beyond the pillars of Hercules in what Herodetus called the "Atlantis Sea".

I apologize for the slip.

Mark

Edited by Taita

Palto regurgitated info recorded in Egypt and passed on to him by the priests. It may be hooie but it isn't Plato's. Lets try to be intellectually honest, consistent and accurate when we atempt to assainate someones character, even those a few thousand years dead.

Yes, let's.

There is not a scrap of evidence of anything even remotely resembling this fiction from Plato to be found anywhere in Egypt. Plato lived around 350 BC. Recent enough for us to absolutely expect to find such evidence, yet it does not exist.

Also, I said it was a fantasy concocted by Plato. In what way does this "assassinate" Plato's character?

It is your character that is being assailed here, not Plato's.

So, let's be intellectually honest here. Kudos for at least not arguing for the existence of the other fictional "lost continents" - Mu and Lemuria.

P.S. Pole shift is constanat and about 1 degree per million years and within the last 200 million years has only shifted by 30 degrees. However, maagnetic shifts occur all the time, relatively, mostly between 8 and 15k years apart. I have yet to find a reference to a solid earth axis flip by the scientific community and the hypothosis it has or will happen are discredited anywhere they are discussed.

There has never been any physical pole shift on this planet. At least, not since the crust solidified (the second time) after the Moon was formed.

Harte

Yes, let's.

There is not a scrap of evidence of anything even remotely resembling this fiction from Plato to be found anywhere in Egypt. Plato lived around 350 BC. Recent enough for us to absolutely expect to find such evidence, yet it does not exist.

Also, I said it was a fantasy concocted by Plato. In what way does this "assassinate" Plato's character?

It is your character that is being assailed here, not Plato's.

So, let's be intellectually honest here. Kudos for at least not arguing for the existence of the other fictional "lost continents" - Mu and Lemuria.

There has never been any physical pole shift on this planet. At least, not since the crust solidified (the second time) after the Moon was formed.

Harte

You assasinate my character on a post I didn't create and concerning a corerction I provided. At best you can disagree with the validity of the facts, then again, they aren't mine and have been widely accepted as proven and reliable. All this doesn't mean Atlantis existed or was in anyway fantastic. It mearly means Plato didn't originate the idea. He may have been dupted as well but, that makes him a victim.

As to attacking me personally, pretty shallow and even petty. I created no new evidence and provided only easily obtained information to correct your mistake. I didn't attack your mistake, only correct it. I made a mistake in vaguely describing the process of Plato's receiving the info and I admitted my mistake gladly. That is the mark of intellectual honesty and an upright individual.

I will not wait for an apology but, I forgive you anyway.

Mark

Ps pole shift? I think I was clear on that point, a correction was unneccessary and seemingly aimed at creating tension or an argument when I had in fact said the very same thing only more clearly and expansively.

Edited by Taita

For those interested in an accurate explaination and history od magnetic pole shifts

The Earth's field has alternated between periods of normal polarity, in which the direction of the field was the same as the present direction, and reverse polarity, in which the field was in the opposite direction. These periods are called chrons. The time spans of chrons are randomly distributed with most being between 0.1 and 1 million years. Most reversals are estimated to take between 1,000 and 10,000 years. The latest one, the Brunhes–Matuyama reversal, occurred 780,000 years ago.

There have been excursions as well which are a flip that is not permanent and generally last hundreds to 10s of thousands of years and are when the pole drifts as much as or more than 45degrees and is often reduced in magnitude(even to as low as near 0% of normal strength). Since the last pole flip there have been about 12 excursions. The largest and best well known is the Laschamp event of 40k years lasting about 8k years.

Mark

Were you actually interested in pole flipping or just making conversation?

Apparently some US scientists have found ruins of a city in the mud flats of Spain that they believe are what's left of Atlantis after a tsunami wiped it out.

Interesting!

MSNBC Science Article

I don't know if this is Atlantis or not but it is indeed an amazing find. Can't wait for the story to unravel. Thanks.

Yes, let's.

There is not a scrap of evidence of anything even remotely resembling this fiction from Plato to be found anywhere in Egypt. Harte

This really doesn't need a reply but here goes. Are you seriously basing your rejection of possible history on the fact Egypts histories were destroyed along with many scolls and texts fron around the world in the buring of the Alexandrean Library? Is it your most ardent belief no texts of scrolls were ever there as they can not be produced?

I have to agree with you on this one. As Alexandrea would have been the city the scrolls and texts would have been kept in at that time and the Library is the place learned scholars from around the known world went to study, this is were Solon would have traveled to to study the histories and advanced teachings of the world. It must stand to reason then that it is all a bunch of poppycock and all the stories sent down to us second hand( by those supposedly studying the texts) are balderdash. There simply are no supporting papyrus scrolls or texts, no books or other evidence they ever read anything at all. Pure speculation and fiction.

Wow, I convinced myself and now if I could just remove the Atlantis Sea from history too I could completely attribute all Atlantean references to a fabrication of Plato's design.

I have to admit, that one is a stumbling block. Why have an Atlantis Sea if there were no Atlantis at all? Puzzling.

I have a question. Why the hatred and irritation on whether a city state named Atlantis or close, ever existed? Dozens, even hundreds of mythical cities, places of ledgend, have been found to date with fewer clues to find them. The real question is this, do you really feel no one had ever heard of Atlantis before Plato wrote about it? Was the writing of Herodetus coincidence and the Sea simply given a randon name in antiquity? You have that right of course, it is your opinion either way. IMO it is not the most laudable character trait when a person lords his opinion over others specially when the only actual evidentiary support is against them.

Play nice.

Mark