Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When Lightning Strikes Out of a Blue Sky

Karlis

There are only two absolutely safe places to be during a thunderstorm. One is in a metal car. The other is in a house with a roof, four walls, and plumbing and electric systems that can absorb the electricity of a lightning strike.Once you're inside, don't touch anything that's plugged into the wall. And stay away from sinks, bathtubs, showers, even toilets. Electricity travels efficiently through water and metal. In a car, don't fiddle with the radio. arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrokenBrain

• Karlis

• Still Waters

• slowfade

This is very interesting :tu:

I did read about that girl getting struck by lightning on such a beautiful clear day. Who'd have thought such a thing could happen but it's not that uncommon it seems.

Every year, according to the National Weather Service, the Earth experiences 16 million thunderstorms. That amounts to an average of 1,800 storms happening at any given moment. Over the course of a year, 25 million bolts strike the ground, usually during thunderstorms but also during intense forest fires, heavy snowstorms, volcanic eruptions, nuclear detonations and large hurricanes.

Wow. I'm surprised more people aren't struck by lightning!

Really interesting stuff, thanks for posting :)

Now I feel like an idiot, I've spent all this time thinking you need a charge difference that overcomes the volts per meter potential difference required to create an electrical arc, turns out all you need is a slushy. Mayby I could get one of those water bombing helicopters for forestg fires and make rootbeer lightning. Sell lightnint to places that need rain and give away free protons as a side. I'd have to do some experiments though, find out if the lemonaid lightning would be yellow or pink.

All joking aside, I've hurt by some pretty substansial electrical charges, but I can't even imagine how bad a lightning strike would ruin your day or your year. I feel for the victims.

My father has seen this happen before, but nobody believed him.

its easy for me to do weather manipulation during a thunderstorm but it would be so cool if i can do it at will!

its easy for me to do weather manipulation during a thunderstorm but it would be so cool if i can do it at will!

Really? don't be invading the science section of the forums please, go back to metaphysics. Either that or prove it. kkthxbai

I love a good thunderstorm, but lightning is something that demands respect. People laugh at me when I get jumpy because I'm outside in a thunderstorm. According to NOAA about 300 people a year are injured by lightning in the US. I don't want to become another statistic. I remember reading somewhere that most people who are struck by lightning are on the beach when it happens. Last time I was at the beach I was taking a walk, and a thunderstorm came out of nowhere. Lightning struck the ocean less than a mile from me, and I high-tailed it outta there! A good adrenaline rush can make you move fast.

My father has seen this happen before, but nobody believed him.

I was at work when it happened. Early 90's I'd say. Nice sunny day, not a cloud in the sky. I was on the phone standing at the front doors looking out. Saw a flash and heard a loud boom (simultainiously). It split a tree right down the middle in someone's yard about 200 yards away. I'd probably be skeptical if I hadn't see this for myself.