Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The massive network of Stone Age tunnels

Big Bad Voodoo

Evidence of tunnels has been found under hundreds of Neolithic settlements

That so many tunnels have survived after 12,000 years shows that the original network must have been enormous

arrow3.gifRead more...

*Snip*

Some experts believe the network was a way of protecting man from predators while others believe that some of the linked tunnels were used like motorways are today, for people to travel safely regardless of wars or violence or even weather above ground.

Edited by Still Waters
Removed image for copyright reasons

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• Big Bad Voodoo

• Paracelse

• SewerRat

In what way is this supposed to be a 'network'?

This is the daily Mail, a right wing ultra-nationalist rag, they wouldn't admit the English are the same species as other humans let alone that the UK is in Europe

This is the daily Mail, a right wing ultra-nationalist rag, they wouldn't admit the English are the same species as other humans let alone that the UK is in Europe

I thought they were Germans once. :rolleyes:

Edited by the L

The UK is an Island !

It is part of Europe but isn't in it...not that difficult to comprehend.

The obvious anti-English sentiment here really fits into the piece doesn't it ???

Wouldn't be rednecks posting now would it?

Edited by philbo

In what way is this supposed to be a 'network'?

Read the article !

Perhaps also buy a dictionary for the correct definition.

Daniel what are you smoking? The Daily Mail might be Conservative, but as usual the liberals go overboard and almost equate it with the likes of Hitler and the Nazi Party just because it has the interests of middle Britain in mind. It's like me calling The Guardian 'The Ultra Left Wing Communist Front for the liberation of the working man!", it's just ridiculous, by the way, what's wrong with being a nationalist?

Read the article !

Perhaps also buy a dictionary for the correct definition.

I read it.

OK, so those Scottish tunnels are connected with those in Germany and in Turkey....

Right.

That's what I mean: no network because these tunnels are not connected.

+++

EDIT:

Here's a definition of "network": http://www.thefreedictionary.com/network

And the important word for today is... CONNECT(ED).

Edited by Abramelin

There are known old tunnels in France also although they were bricked by various governments prior and after WW2. Like the article said, many of those holes were covered at one point of another with a church. There is a church 4 km away from where I live now, called in a town called Mont Bonvillers. Inside the tiny church there is a cement plaque near the altar whereas the rest is made of solid lime stone. I asked the local priest he didn't know why the cement and he assumed it was in need of repair. When I asked him if it could be the entrance of a crypt, he said no there are none. Every XI th century church had a church. I went and asked old local folks and met an aging doctor who said there was a tunnel going from this church to someplace in what is now Luxembourg in one direction and in the other direction going all the way to the castle of Jaulny (where Joan of Arc allegedly died of old age)(opposed to the story she died in the hands of the Britts in 1431) The tunnels was already there prior to the middle ages and no one knows who built it. Heck I'm one of the last knowing of it's existence.

http://maps.google.fr/maps?ct=reset

The blue line is almost directly above the tunnel

I try to post pictures of the church but the system doesn't allow me to.. don't know why they are mine

There are known old tunnels in France also although they were bricked by various governments prior and after WW2. Like the article said, many of those holes were covered at one point of another with a church. There is a church 4 km away from where I live now, called in a town called Mont Bonvillers. Inside the tiny church there is a cement plaque near the altar whereas the rest is made of solid lime stone. I asked the local priest he didn't know why the cement and he assumed it was in need of repair. When I asked him if it could be the entrance of a crypt, he said no there are none. Every XI th century church had a church. I went and asked old local folks and met an aging doctor who said there was a tunnel going from this church to someplace in what is now Luxembourg in one direction and in the other direction going all the way to the castle of Jaulny (where Joan of Arc allegedly died of old age)(opposed to the story she died in the hands of the Britts in 1431) The tunnels was already there prior to the middle ages and no one knows who built it. Heck I'm one of the last knowing of it's existence.

http://maps.google.fr/maps?ct=reset

The blue line is almost directly above the tunnel

I try to post pictures of the church but the system doesn't allow me to.. don't know why they are mine

Tell us more! you've captured my imagination. this is so cool

Are we to believe that stone age men were able to tunnel under the english channel? Seriously?

Tell us more! you've captured my imagination. this is so cool

I have no idea who built those tunnels, Druids were very involved in the region that dealt with Roman way prior to Cesar war of the Gauls. On thing for sure, local Celts mine iron ore they were selling through the entire European. Iron swords were much stronger than bronze. The Senones (local Celts) were more interested in trades than war. There are still many names of Deities found locally. One Fairy named Woivre left her name to a river which became Woevre. So it is possible the Senones built those tunnels. I'm not saying they went under the channel nor that they went from here to Turkey but still those tunnels are very long. Just noticed the map didn't appear properly on my preceding link so I will try again.

http://maps.google.fr/maps?ct=rese

The blue road indicate 51 kms (about 40 miles) but as mentioned earlier that tunnel goes all the way to present Luxembourg.

Edit to add: the first name on the blue road is Briey. The church of Briey was built at the same time the church from Mont Bonvillers (an interesting note next to the church was a Templar Commanderie).

Edited by Paracelse

I wouldn't have survived well living in caves, I'm severely claustrophobic, it's the part of my brain that's broken. If I had to hide in a cave to survive, chances are I'd have died young. I am curious though, were these natural caves at first and then connected by tunnels or were they simply tunnels. I they are all tunnels, is it possible that other animals dug part of the tunnels and humans just adapted them?

i believe some could have been a part of a well known network of caves but the other half i'd imagine is a natural phenomenon.

If anyone finds out the ancient ancestors of the Scots built tunnels to Germany 12,000 year sago, please tell me: that would mean they dug tunnels under the North Sea, or what was then called "Doggerland".

Fat chance of course, but hey, they talk about a network.

...sigh....

They are just sensational-ising it with a big bold heading

Going underground: The massive European network of Stone Age tunnels that weaves from Scotland to Turkey

while towards the end of the article, they do admit....

They do not all link up but taken together it is a massive underground network.'

They are just sensational-ising it with a big bold heading

while towards the end of the article, they do admit....

Yeah, and some smarty pants adviced me to look up the definition for "network"...

But it's summertime, so within a couple of days we will hear news about Nessie too.

Well, this time is must be true, right?

I have no idea who built those tunnels, Druids were very involved in the region that dealt with Roman way prior to Cesar war of the Gauls. On thing for sure, local Celts mine iron ore they were selling through the entire European. Iron swords were much stronger than bronze. The Senones (local Celts) were more interested in trades than war. There are still many names of Deities found locally. One Fairy named Woivre left her name to a river which became Woevre. So it is possible the Senones built those tunnels. I'm not saying they went under the channel nor that they went from here to Turkey but still those tunnels are very long. Just noticed the map didn't appear properly on my preceding link so I will try again.

http://maps.google.fr/maps?ct=rese

The blue road indicate 51 kms (about 40 miles) but as mentioned earlier that tunnel goes all the way to present Luxembourg.

Edit to add: the first name on the blue road is Briey. The church of Briey was built at the same time the church from Mont Bonvillers (an interesting note next to the church was a Templar Commanderie).

Map still isn't showing right. Are you using the link facility at top right (thing that looks like a chainlink, marked 'lien' in French?) That gives you a proper link to what you're actually looking at. Love to know more about all this and thanks for posting!

I have a hard time believing this one. It seems to me that there would have to be alot of motivation to create a 'vast network of underground caves'.

Are we to believe that stone age men were able to tunnel under the english channel? Seriously?

The Stone Age extended from some 2.5 million years ago up to around 6000BC. Exact definitions vary. Before about 11000 years ago you could walk cross the Channel as sea levels were much lower and the region was a low-lying tundra containing only a river which drained the Rhine and Thames into the Atlantic. I don't know if that lends any support to the notion that Paleolithic man made tunnels between Britain and mainland Europe, but it would have made the task a lot easier.

Map still isn't showing right. Are you using the link facility at top right (thing that looks like a chainlink, marked 'lien' in French?) That gives you a proper link to what you're actually looking at. Love to know more about all this and thanks for posting!

I will give you a map:

Doggerland-suggested-settlement-sit.jpg?t=1312661613

And read the rest here:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=179840&st=720

Edited by Abramelin