Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Toynbee tiles

Big Bad Voodoo

The Toynbee tiles (also called Toynbee plaques) are messages of mysterious origin found embedded in asphalt of streets in about two dozen major cities in the United States and four South American capitals.[1][2] Since the 1980s, several hundred tiles have been discovered. They are generally about the size of an American license plate, but sometimes considerably larger. They contain some variation on the following inscription:

TOYNBEE IDEA

IN Kubrick's 2001

RESURRECT DEAD

ON PLANET JUPITER.

Toynbee_tile_at_franklin_square_2002.jpg

Is this work of some Lunatic or what?

http://en.wikipedia....i/Toynbee_tiles

Edited by Still Waters
Source link added

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trog

• Damrod

• Karyotype

• thomash

Hi Mr. L .... There are a lot of things in this world that I don't know about , and this is one of them , maybe Arnold Joseph Toynbee has reincarnated in America and is continuing his work into the rise and fall of civilizations and is now putting out his findings ?

It could be a warning or it could be a prank , some people go to a lot of trouble to pull off a really good prank , may be they aren't in the right line of work where their imagination is fully utilized .

Do you have any ideas or have you heard of any reasons that could shed some light on them ? .... Of course it could be a frustrated road worker leaving his mark ?

Isn't this a thread already?...maybe on another topic board?

Nevertheless...I hope you are not associating this with something paranormal...seems rather mundane and man made to me...too many people out there with too much time on their hands...

• 1 year later...

There is a guy living in St. Louis, MO named joe parisi. He is in on these tiles. A friend worked with him for a while. 100% guaranteed. He was making/placing some of them apparently.

The Toynbee tiles (also called Toynbee plaques) are messages of mysterious origin found embedded in asphalt of streets in about two dozen major cities in the United States and four South American capitals.[1][2] Since the 1980s, several hundred tiles have been discovered. They are generally about the size of an American license plate, but sometimes considerably larger. They contain some variation on the following inscription:

TOYNBEE IDEA

IN Kubrick's 2001

RESURRECT DEAD

ON PLANET JUPITER.

Toynbee_tile_at_franklin_square_2002.jpg

Is this work of some Lunatic or what?

http://en.wikipedia....i/Toynbee_tiles

the short answer would be yes!

It's like crop circles. The Toynbee Tiles have become 'viral'.

• Like 1

This is nothing but vandalism.

There is an interesting documentary on the tiles available through Netflix streaming. The documentary is titled "Ressurect Dead" and it goes into some of the history of the tiles themselves, and what the message means. While I don't agree with some of the conclusions drawn as to who the tiler was/is I do believe their assessment of what the message on the tiles mean was rather accurate.