Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First tax-free holiday in Arkansas a boon for

acidhead

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/08/us-arkansas-taxholiday-idUSTRE7773GY20110808

By Suzi Parker

LITTLE ROCK, Ark | Mon Aug 8, 2011 11:21am EDT

(Reuters) - Arkansans shopped until they dropped on Saturday, braving temperatures deep into the triple-digits to take advantage of the state's first sales tax holiday weekend.

"I have never seen anything like this," said Clancy Graham, a manager at Little Rock's RK Collections Boutique, an independently owned store. "If we could do this three times a year, it would be amazing. It has done crazy good stuff for our business."

Officials have estimated it would cost Arkansas about $2 million in revenue.

continued...

Who would have thought that the market would flourish when taxes are exempted?

Edited by acidhead

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acidhead

• Old Hippie Blogger

• SolarPlexus

• Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Haha

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/08/us-arkansas-taxholiday-idUSTRE7773GY20110808

By Suzi Parker

LITTLE ROCK, Ark | Mon Aug 8, 2011 11:21am EDT

(Reuters) - Arkansans shopped until they dropped on Saturday, braving temperatures deep into the triple-digits to take advantage of the state's first sales tax holiday weekend.

"I have never seen anything like this," said Clancy Graham, a manager at Little Rock's RK Collections Boutique, an independently owned store. "If we could do this three times a year, it would be amazing. It has done crazy good stuff for our business."

Officials have estimated it would cost Arkansas about $2 million in revenue.

continued...

Who would have thought that the market would flourish when taxes are exempted?

Well, there goes the money I was counting on to have the road in front of my house fixed this year.....

Well, there goes the money I was counting on to have the road in front of my house fixed this year.....

Who are you trying to kid? Your property taxes are collected to be used to fund 'your' street..... DUH!

Edited by acidhead

Who are you trying to kid? Your property taxes are collected to be used to fund 'your' street..... DUH!

Sorry... I was swept by a rare wave of logic, I'll just take another toke and I'll be fine... Thanks!

They used to do this in Texas then they figured out everyone would wait until that day to make all their major purchases, so now they limit the tax free holiday for just school supplies.

Good point! If this was the norm there would be no benefit to business. People tend to think short term gain equals long term gains. I'm afraid that no taxes would only hurt America just look at what one weekend cost Arkansas an estimated 2,000,000 dollars. Wow.