Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

People soon to be on loan at 'human library'

Still Waters

Gone are the days of rummaging through card catalogues and dusty shelves.

A new library in Surrey, B.C., will be home to a "human library," with people on loan as living books.

The $36-million Surrey City Centre library, set to open at the end of the month, will allow users to "check out" people and pick their brains about their experiences with blindness, immigration, religion or a disability, among other things.The goal is to break down stereotypes and start discussions, said deputy chief librarian Melanie Houlden.

"What we're aiming to do is bring the library to life for people. There are huge repositories of experience and knowledge in their own brains," she said.

People with various personal experiences have already agreed to volunteer, she said. Users will be able to request an "expert" and chat over a cup of coffee in the library's new cafe.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kludge808

• WoIverine

• Taut

• xXHellkittiesXx

Actually, I find this idea fascinating. I would love to talk to some interesting people. And if the person agrees to do it, then why not?

Actually, I find this idea fascinating. I would love to talk to some interesting people. And if the person agrees to do it, then why not?

I agree. Normally you could only get the chance to do this if you met someone by luck, now you can choose to find someone to talk to about their experiences.

I think this is a really fascinating idea, I'll be interested in seeing how it pans out!

Edited by schizoidwoman

at first i thought this idea was weird, but think about it. You can probably learn more from a very wise person and learn it quicker then reading thousands of books.

So are these people employed by the library? or is this like a volunteer thing? It would be kind of hard to make a living if you were volunteering at a library the whole day instead of working.

Edited by Consumer

So are these people employed by the library? or is this like a volunteer thing? It would be kind of hard to make a living if you were volunteering at a library the whole day instead of working.

I was wondering that as well. Not only that, but some of the most interesting or knowledgeable people's time is too valuable in other ways to sit chatting. What if I want to learn about becoming president of the United States? Oh well, I wouldn't want to learn from him anyway.:devil:

Maybe it'll be a bunch of retirees. Lots of valuable stuff there (no sarcasm). We don't honor our life experience people enough anyway.

Edited by Taut

I hope there will be an adult section. :devil:

LOL! It would certainly make a trip to the library worth wild!

Maybe it'll be a bunch of retirees. Lots of valuable stuff there (no sarcasm). We don't honor our life experience people enough anyway.

Speaking as a retiree, I would be happy if people would be willing to sit down with an old fart ... er, me to learn from my experiences. I doubt Hawaii would ever initiate such a program since they seem for all intents and purposes to be anti-education.

Speaking as a retiree, I would be happy if people would be willing to sit down with an old fart ... er, me to learn from my experiences. I doubt Hawaii would ever initiate such a program since they seem for all intents and purposes to be anti-education.

Welcome to the forums! Got any words of advice for us, old timer?

Will have to be something other than, "You don't tug on Superman's cape. You don't spit into the wind. You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger." :tu:

I agree. This is a very interesting idea. I think I would like to sit and talk to someone about their life experience and the knowledge that they have gained from it. Especially if it is vastly different from my own. These are things you just can't get from a book imo. :yes:

I think this is a really cool idea. I love listening to people's stories about various subjects.

This is awesome, it's like having a parent to tell you all about real life, except when you're tired you can put them back on the shelf.

Welcome to the forums! Got any words of advice for us, old timer?

Will have to be something other than, "You don't tug on Superman's cape. You don't spit into the wind. You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger." :tu:

Darn, you picked off all the goodies already. :D

Seriously, I think a boss I had some years ago summed it up nicely when he said, "First, don't sweat the small stuff. Second, in the end it's all small stuff." He had a few other comments but he and I were both Navy and they probably wouldn't be fit for a public forum. :D

Dude! they have no brains!

Those two don't but Asia Carrera does. :)