Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BREAKING NEWS: Attackers seize Russian school

Erikl

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• Talon

• Babs

• fmorrow6

Talon writes:

Babs until you can reply to someone like a rational person instead of insulting them, your not worth my attention let alone a reply.

Don't you just hate when someone hurls insults at you (and others chime in, like you, Talon) then, when you throw it back at the person _ they can't take it. whistling2.gif

Just when I was marveling at the fact that so many people were agreeing with each other that usually don't... crying.gif

Let me just point out the fact that this incredibly devistating event has nothing to do with how I feel how you feel or how most of the posters on this board feel. Hundreds of children where slaughtered most where shot repeatedly in the back while they ran half naked from a building wired with booby traps and leaving members of there familly inside , not knowing what fate they suffered .

How dare we use this as a soap box to stand up on . If you feel passionately do something constructive I am sick of posters using this and other events like it to boost there own egos , get a grip on the reallity of the situation .

As for 9/11 I have thought , if I am to be killed in a terrorist attack do not start a war in my name I would not have appreciated it .

HORROR OF BESLAN VICTIMS

The first haunting footage has emerged of the Beslan massacre victims, taken in the run up to their slaughter.

One boy looks straight at the camera, hands behind head, bewilderment and fear in his young eyes.

Other footage reveals the sick network of booby traps laid by the murderers around the gym as they prepared for carnage.

These first pictures of the days of hell endured by the hundreds of children and adults as the siege went on are sure to ignite further anger among Russians at the deaths.

The Russian President has been accused of ignoring his government's fault in the run up to the crisis.

But as Vladimir Putin continues to blame the tragedy on international terrorism, the shots broadcast by Russian station NTV will strengthen vehemence against him.

Clearly visible in some of the powerful film - thought to have been taken on a camcorder stolen from a cameraman wounded by the rebels - are trails of blood.

One of the killers points the cameraman down towards his foot under which is a trigger for some of the explosives.

The 87-second long film was broadcast to Russia on the second and final day of official mourning.

More than 330 people are so far known to have died in last Friday's massacre, the terrified faces of many of those will have been seen on the video.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1150546,00.html

RUSSIA'S TERROR PROTEST

Hundreds of thousands of Russians have protested against terrorism following the bloody end to the Beslan school siege.

Moscow's Red Square was packed with about 130,000 mourners brandishing banners, religious insignia and Russian flags.

They were demonstrating against the killing of dozens of schoolchildren.

The Urals city of Yekaterinburg also saw its largest ever public demonstration as 20,000 people took to the streets.

Russian television showed several thousand massing in driving rain in the Pacific port of Vladivostok.

Hundreds of people gathered in the region's capital, Vladikavkaz, criticising the authorities for failing to prevent last week's siege.

The protesters wanted to know how the siege rescue could have gone so badly wrong.

More than 300 adults and children are feared to have died after 32 hostage-takers took over the school in North Ossetia.

Meanwhile, on the second day of national mourning, families continued to bury their dead.

Heavy rain turned the new cemetery into a sea of mud, with family members slipping as they trudged across the field.

"The whole town is crying, wailing for the pain that can never ease," said Masha, the neighbour of four-year-old Rada Solkazanova and her mother Larisa who were buried.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-13217024,00.html

BESLAN'S HORROR FILM

Video taken by hostage-takers before the end of the bloody siege in Beslan has been aired on Russian TV.

It shows hooded armed men brandishing weapons and the school's gym rigged with explosives.

Hundreds of adults and children are packed into the gym, sitting on blood stained floors. The captives were held in a state of fear for three days without water and food.

One boy looks straight at the camera, hands behind head, bewilderment and fear in his young eyes.

Other footage reveals a network of booby traps laid by the hostage-takers around the gym as they prepared for carnage.

The video is sure to further ignite anger among North Ossetians, already keen for revenge.

Russian authorities have been criticised for their handling of security in the run-up to the siege, and the bloody and often seemingly chaotic rescue operation.

Russian President Vladimir Putin blames the tragedy on international terrorism, but residents in Beslan look to their ethnic rivals.

The pictures, which are the first to be seen from the siege, are thought to have been taken on a camcorder stolen from a cameraman wounded by the rebels.

One of the killers points the cameraman down towards his foot under which is a trigger for some of the explosives.

It was later revealed by authorities that if the militant lifted his foot, the bombs strung up around the school gymnasium would detonate.

The 87-second long film was broadcast on NTV during the second day of national mourning. It is not known how the TV station obtained the video.

The government has admitted for the first time that the number of hostages exceeded 1,200. They had originally downplayed the figure, saying only 350 people were being held, in an attempt to dampen concern, it said.

The latest figures state 326 hostages had been killed and 727 wounded when special forces stormed the gym last Friday.

They raided the school after hearing one of the militants accidentally set off an explosion and seeing the children flee the building, being fired on by the hostage-takers.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1150546,00.html

I'm glad Putin has come around...and is seeing that showing a weak front doesn't work. In fact, it invites tragedy. 

Babs putin has been in charge for years, you did know that didnt you??

The thing about chechnya is that russia has been the victim of its own success military wise. The rebels were smashed and this in itself created massive problems, they formed many different splinter groups , which means their is now no one person in control.

They have no1 to negotiate with anymore no1 they can call a truce with neway.

Its now just turned into a "holy" war against them.

So what do they do?????

I dont think anyone knows now. Surely we cant condone genocide?? , no matter waht the reasons. Im still a civilised person and i dont believe the end justifies the means.

Putin calls for pre-emptive strikes on terrorism where-ever it is found. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif I am so glad Russia is joining us on the war on terrorism. We have been criticized for pre-emptive action, I wonder now if Russia will be critcized?

Russia changing like this....I wonder how this will change the world scene?

Videos of the poor children in the schools circulating. It's unbelievable. blink.gifsad.gif I remember when 911 hit, some in the middle east were jumping for joy, celebrating in the streets because the US had been hit and was suffering so badly. And I remember, in other parts of the world, 'non-islamist's sneering and jeering, saying we somehow deserved it. We, Americans, couldn't believe what we were seeing and hearing; I don't think we will ever forget.

Yes the pictures are shown in every Israeli newspaper today... those b*******! mad.gif

Again the behaviour of the terrorists in that school simply reminds me the horror stories from my relatives about how the SS treated Jewish kids. mad.gifcrying.gif

And I remember, in other parts of the world, 'non-islamist's sneering and jeering, saying we somehow deserved it.

I am really very sorry you saw it this way Babs . I know that the 2 New Zealanders killed in the WTC incident are missed and the several Australians , English , Swiss , French , Dutch and other foriegn nationalities who where also killed or injured would also be upset by this .

[off topic ] I remember going to work on 11th of september 2001 seemed like the most sureal and rediculous thing for a person to do . When I walked out the door, I remembered thinking how bizzare it was that I was even going to work when something so horrific was going on in another part of the world .

I work in tourism , it's one of the busiest restaurants in New zealand , but not that day . I had 3 customers most of the morning who just sat and watched the television as it was reported . Occasionally we would cry .

One man I won't forget an American on holiday . Familly and friends in New york and nothing but the news reports , to tell him what was going on . I sat with him for a half an hour he was helpless , lost and incredibly alone .

Many people where effected by September 11th Babs , please respect this when you post . [Off topic]

BESLAN VIDEO BOY 'FOUND'

user posted image

A 10-year-old boy whose terror during the horrific Beslan school siege was captured on a shocking video filmed by terrorists has been flown to Moscow for treatment.

Georgy Farniyev survived the siege which killed more than 200 of his classmates in North Ossetia by hiding in a bookcase.

In harrowing footage shot by the hostage takers, he was pictured crouching with his hands on his head on the floor of School Number One's gym at the feet of a masked gunman and a bomb.

"I saw things that give me nightmares and my body has been wounded," he told The Sun.

"But I am alive - I am alive!

He continued: "I still don't understand why I am alive.

"It is a miracle I am still alive when so many of my friends are dead."

With his mother Marina by his side, the youngster was taken to Vladikavkaz airport to travel to a hospital in the Russian capital for treatment on his leg.

He was wounded by a grenade as he made his escape.

Inside the ambulance, the dark-haired schoolboy held a black and white framegrab from the video which showed him a wide-eyed and fearful hostage.

Georgy managed a smile, sipped juice from a carton and ate chocolate biscuits as his mother tended to him while he lay on a bed in the back of the medical vehicle.

Wounds - treated with green coloured antiseptic - could be seen on the top of his arm.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1150722,00.html

crying.gif Those poor kids...I saw one little boy about 10 years old that couldn't even remember his name. I just can't imagine the horror they went through. sad.gif

Kismit...I don't see it that way...I was referring to some who told the U.S. to "get over it". (911) Many Americans are very sensitive about 911. sad.gif I am glad that you have brought some positive feedback into the discussion. I do realize that many many people were affected by 911 and I will be more sensitive to this fact_ as I believe others should.

Russia to launch Beslan inquiry

Russia says it will launch an inquiry to unravel the sequence of events which brought a violent end to the school siege at Beslan in North Ossetia.

President Vladimir Putin has pledged full co-operation with the parliamentary probe.

At least 326 people died in the three-day siege as Chechen separatists held more than 1,000 children and adults hostage.

Some 62 injured children and adults from Beslan have been flown to Moscow.

Full access

"We are interested in obtaining a full and objective picture of the tragic events linked with the hostage-taking in Beslan," Mr Putin said at a televised meeting with the speaker of the country's upper house of parliament.

Earlier this week, Mr Putin ruled out a public inquiry and said a parliamentary investigation could risk becoming a "political show".

On Friday, he promised the commission would have access to all the essential documents they needed.

Members of Russia's upper house will investigate the events surrounding the siege which authorities say left 727 people injured. More than 100 bodies have yet to be identified.

Analysts say that they doubt the value of such an inquiry.

"No official investigation will be able to carry out a probe that will be thorough, independent and objective, the way an investigation should be," Masha Lipman, a political analyst at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace told Reuters news agency.

In other developments:

Russia's interior ministry says it will overhaul the security in the North Caucasus region and create special anti-terror units

The Russian army's Chief of Staff, General Yuri Baluevsky says Moscow plans to launch pre-emptive strikes on terrorist bases "in any region of the world"

Moscow's parliament is considering the introduction of broad security measures such as metal detectors on the metro, in department stores and in theatres

The North Ossetian Parliament approves former Transport Minister Alan Boradzov as the new prime minister following the mass resignation of the region's government.

A Russian newspaper names the leader of the hostage-takers as Ruslan Khuchbarov.

Russia has blamed the mass hostage-taking in Beslan on Chechen rebels backed by foreign Muslim militants.

It has offered 300m roubles ($10m; £5.7m) for information leading to the arrest of Chechen rebel leaders Shamil Basayev and Aslan Maskhadov.

Russian authorities have said the siege's bloody climax seems to have begun when the hostage-takers were rearranging explosives in the school gymnasium and accidentally detonated one of them.

They say the hostage-takers had gathered in a forest before on 1 September then driven to the school with a lorry and two jeeps packed with weapons and explosives.

The town's children were celebrating the start of the new school year with parents and staff a week ago when they were taken hostage.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3645022.stm

What happened in Beslan?

A week after the bloody climax of the siege at a school in North Ossetia, where more than 1,000 children, teachers and parents were taken hostage, investigators are still piecing together what happened.

On Wednesday, Prosecutor-General Vladimir Ustinov gave President Vladimir Putin his account of the events on 1 September.

He said the hostage-takers assembled in a forest immediately before the attack on the school and headed for Beslan in a lorry and two jeeps.

At that stage, the target of the attack may not have been decided, he said.

The attackers were stopped in the early morning by a policeman, named as Major Sultan Gurazhev, whom they forced to the ground, disarmed and then took hostage.

Major Gurazhev was later to flee when the school was stormed, and survived.

Females blown up

The group then drove into the school compound, where they surrounded more than 1,200 children, parents and teachers gathered there to mark the first day of the new school year.

Mr Ustinov said the militants then moved their weapons and explosives into the school. This appears to contradict previous accounts suggesting most of the munitions had been hidden in the school in advance.

At this point, the official account says, the group's leader - known as the Colonel - shot dead one rebellious hostage-taker who objected to schoolchildren being targeted.

He later killed the two female bombers by using a remote-control device to detonate the explosives attached to their bodies.

This version of events was apparently confirmed by surviving hostages and the one hostage-taker who was captured alive, 24-year-old Nur-Pashi Kulayev from Chechnya.

Rewiring

The Colonel and two others then mined the school, and one militant was made to stand on a detonator. If he moved his foot the charges would go off.

The leading militants kept threatening to kill everyone, saying their only aim was to carry out this act of terrorism, Mr Ustinov said.

On Friday, an explosion occurred while the militants were rewiring the explosives "for reasons best known to themselves", he continued.

In the ensuing panic many of the hostages tried to flee and the militants opened fire on them. Russian special forces then moved into the school to try to save the hostages.

It is still unclear whether any of the hostage-takers succeeding in fleeing, along with their victims, as reported at the time.

One group, which hid in the school basement, was eliminated in a gunfight with the security forces.

The prosecutor-general gave no details about the identities of the hostage-takers, whom he said numbered "around 30" and included two women.

Checkpoint police 'bribed'

However, the Associated Press news agency quoted security officials on Thursday who said that, of 10 who have been identified, six were Chechens and four were Ingush.

Other reports said that 12 have been identified, including Vladimir Khodov, a half-North Ossetian half-Ukrainian Muslim, who is thought to be one of the ringleaders.

There is now some doubt about the participation of Magomet Yevloyev, an ethnic Ingush field commander with the Chechen rebels, originally thought to be one of the key organisers.

And early reports that nine or 10 were Arabs have not been confirmed.

On Thursday, the Russky Kuryer newspaper reported that the captured hostage-taker, Nur-Pashi Kulayev, and one other, Mairbek Shaybekkhanov, had been arrested in Chechnya in 2002 and 2003, but freed after payoffs to be police.

Surviving hostages have told journalists that the attackers told them how they had bribed their way through police checkpoints to reach Beslan.

However, a police spokesman said they had used back roads that had no checkpoints.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3642232.stm

Hi! Folks;

I think that this attack in Russia is what gave Bush a boost in the polls.

President Bush was elected in America The Free .... But America is under

seige, and the clown should resign.

President Bush puts his makeup on with Bingo dabbers!

Calm

Kismit...I don't see it that way...I was referring to some who told the U.S. to "get over it". (911) Many Americans are very sensitive about 911.  I am glad that you have brought some positive feedback into the discussion. I do realize that many many people were affected by 911 and I will be more sensitive to this fact_ as I believe others should.

Who are these people you keep harping on about babs, ive yet to see a post to back up these daft claims??????.

Because these claims probably don't exist tongue.giflaugh.gif

I think that this attack in Russia is what gave Bush a boost in the polls.

President Bush was elected in America The Free .... But America is under

seige, and the clown should resign.

Yeah, he's just making it worse. I watched a report on the tv last night which was asking Egypians who they prefered Bush or Osama, before Iraq it was Bush, now its Osama.

I'm not going to get into it with you, wun.

And, Oh, yeah laugh.gif Let's ask the Egypians!

Yeah, he's just making it worse. I watched a report on the tv last night which was asking Egypians who they prefered Bush or Osama, before Iraq it was Bush, now its Osama.

I am so glad you brought this up. tongue.gif It gives huge insite to the question of why so many countries we thought were our friends now seem to hate us.

The answer is obvious......but let me point it out for you anyway........

Every single one of these countries that now 'hate' us do so because we screwed up a financial boon for them. All of these countries, Germany, France, Egypt, and many others were deep into the 'oil for food' scam by the UN. We screwed up their golden chicken egg machine. w00t.gif

One man I won't forget an American on holiday . Familly and friends in New york and nothing but the news reports , to tell him what was going on . I sat with him for a half an hour he was helpless , lost and incredibly alone .

Thank you Kismit. You have such a sweet heart. That's why you are so loved on this forum....and I am sure....away from the forum as well wub.gif