Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's smallest chicken egg?

Still Waters

A West Virginia man is laying claim to one of the world's smallest chicken eggs. Whether it's a record remains to be seen.

The Reverand Donnie Russell said he found the egg last month on his farm.

It's 2.1 centimetres long, or a bit bigger than a penny, and weighs 3.46 grams - a little more than one-tenth of an ounce.

'It's really something. If you want to know the truth, I can't put it into words,' Mr Russell said.

Mr Russell, of Raleigh County, said his wife is an animal lover and she's collected cats, geese, ducks, chickens and other types of birds over the years.

Normally, the chicken eggs are donated to people from the Rock Creek Community Church, where Mr Russell is the pastor.

'Lo and behind, we went out and gathered these eggs. We had to do a double take. We both looked with our mouths open for about five minutes before we said a word. We said this has got to be a record.'

The chicken that he believes laid the egg is normal sized.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert1

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Still Waters

• xXHellkittiesXx

Geez, at that size, I don't think the chicken even noticed if she laid one or not.

Yes, but is it viable, or just an anomaly? That should count for something. Shouldn't really count if it's just a ball of calcium. Not to put to fine a point on it or take away from the find.

Am I making any sense? Probably not.

Yes, but is it viable, or just an anomaly? That should count for something. Shouldn't really count if it's just a ball of calcium. Not to put to fine a point on it or take away from the find.

Am I making any sense? Probably not.

I agree, if it's only calcium it wouldn't strictly be an egg and it shouldn't be in the running for World's Smallest "Egg"...

Ive a feeling I have seen.... and eaten :lol: smaller, usually when a hen lays her first egg it will be very small, complete with white and yolk.

• 9 months later...

I have a chickens egg laid yesterday its 1.08 centimetres long, haven't cracked it yet so I don't know if its got a yolk or not.

and it's no bigger than a penny!
It's 2.1 centimetres long, or a bit bigger than a penny

Typical DailyMail.... lol