Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Missouri teacher sues state over Facebook law

zenfahr

A Missouri teacher has sued the state over a new law that prevents teachers from contacting their students over the Internet, arguing that it will make it illegal for her to chat with her own child over Facebook.

The Story

So what are all ya'lls thoughts and comments

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supervike

• Purplos

• DieChecker

• zenfahr

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick in a "unless otherwise related" clause and it's good to go. I see no reason why teachers would have to contact students on the internet at all.

The law is ridiculous.

There are plenty of legitimate wholesome reasons a teacher could/should use social media.

I could possibly understand a schools policy to prohibit the behavior, but a law is just plain ludicrous.

Unless we are under the impression that ALL teachers are indeed sexual predators.

The law oversteps it's bounds, plain and simple.

Edited by supervike

A Missouri teacher has sued the state over a new law that prevents teachers from contacting their students over the Internet, arguing that it will make it illegal for her to chat with her own child over Facebook.

The Story

So what are all ya'lls thoughts and comments

The whole Internet?? Email, Skype, Twitter, everything? Idiotic. What is the teacher to do if they are "friends" with someone who's kids go to their school? Un-friend them?

Why can't a teacher email homework to a student? Why can't a teacher communicate by Skype to remote virtual classes?

This is a stupid law. There are better ways to screen out Predators in the schools. I'm sure there has to be.

I regularly use the various communication forms of the internet to communicate with my students, both the business professionals and their children. I do not think that I would be able to effectively teach them otherwise, considering our disparate schedules. For me, it is an absolute necessity. I can only imagine how difficult it makes it for teachers to worry about breaking the law whenever they decide to give a student a break on their deadline and have them email their homework later that evening.