Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Barack Obama's gun control

Persia

Just going on what I can read of the Second Amendment of the US Constitution.

See I like gun control, you get a license and you can own certain fire arms (hunting rifles and shot guns)then another license with more background checks and courses to own weapons like Pistols. Fully Automatic weapons should not be owned by civilians.

~Thanato

What you describe is the actual law in the US... I own guns in the US, they are all registered. To get a fully automatic weapon you have to apply with the ATF and it takes about a year to see you application forgotten in the file 13. Or you could go to Mexico and buy it directly from the ATF who sells those automatic weapons to drug cartels.

http://www.guns.com/atf-promotes-supervisors-of-gun-walking-operation-fast-a-furious.html

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thanato

• The Silver Thong

• Paracelse

• msmike1

I have no problem with people owning firearms however I have a problem with people owning firearms who are completely inept and incompetent. You have to have a license to drive a car in all States in the United States, you should have a license to own a firearm.

Another thing, you should not be able to purchase military grade fire arms, such as Assault Rifles and Anti-Material Rifles. Hell even grenade launchers...

If someone wishes to own a firearm they apply for a license and take a test/course to be qualified in the use of the weapon. However I do not agree with registering firearms.

~Thanato

People should have a license to have kids too, and yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driving actually isn't a "right", its a privilege (at least that is what we were taught in drivers ed, many years ago). Hence, you need a "license" to drive but not to own a gun. Truth be told, cars kill far more people than guns, their just harder to rob a store with ;)

In my opinion, having to register your guns is tantamount to having to be licensed.

Not really cars have been used often to rob banks.. and not just to get away :P

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/ram-raid-horror-city-shoppers/story-11565649-detail/story.html

People should have a license to have kids too, and yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree

I have no problem with people owning firearms however I have a problem with people owning firearms who are completely inept and incompetent. You have to have a license to drive a car in all States in the United States, you should have a license to own a firearm.

Another thing, you should not be able to purchase military grade fire arms, such as Assault Rifles and Anti-Material Rifles. Hell even grenade launchers...

If someone wishes to own a firearm they apply for a license and take a test/course to be qualified in the use of the weapon. However I do not agree with registering firearms.

~Thanato

"Military-type" weapons are the ones I collect, and I want them legal, and in fact they are the very type spoken of in the amendment.

Now that said I am not absolutely against all kinds of registration, in fact in my state (Maryland) handguns are registered along with military-style rifles, and I own some guns that are federally registered as well. This doesn't bother me terribly other than being annoying. My main problem is with the many gun laws (state and federal) that are arbitrary, capricious, ineffective and nonsensical. I could give you examples but it might be too technical and bore everybody so I'll just leave it at that.

I believe one of the reasons many people are against gun ownership is ignorance of the subject to begin with. You can't just walk into any gun store, say I want that one, give the guys some money and walk out with the weapon of your choice. No, not even at gun shows. Background checks are already required to purchas a firearm. Your name will be ran through ncic and only after you are ok'd will you be allowed to purchase that firearm and it will be in your name.

Now, that is how law abiding citizens buy guns. The people that give gun ownership a bad name, thats criminals, do not have to go through the same thing as we do. They just go buy one illegally and then use it to do something illegal. I own many, many firearms. I do not wish to kill anyone with them, or rob a bank, or anything else illegal. I own them because I like shooting, and because I hunt. It is my right to do so, and I do not see why my rights have to be taken away because of the actions of a few that are going to do what they do no matter what kinds of restrictions our federal government puts on us.

Do we really want the federal government governing anything else. Last time I checked they don't have a very good track record of doing most anything right. Education of firearms to the younger generation that is interested in them and proper parenting are the keys here.

Mike

I believe one of the reasons many people are against gun ownership is ignorance of the subject to begin with. You can't just walk into any gun store, say I want that one, give the guys some money and walk out with the weapon of your choice. No, not even at gun shows. Background checks are already required to purchas a firearm. Your name will be ran through ncic and only after you are ok'd will you be allowed to purchase that firearm and it will be in your name.

Not necessarily. I bought a 9mm at a gun show from a private seller. No background check.

Not necessarily. I bought a 9mm at a gun show from a private seller. No background check.

Private to private do not require background checks. You are correct. If you buy from a vendor at a gunshow he has to do a background check by law. If I take a gun out of my gun safe and walk onto my porch and hand it to my neighbor and he hands me cash then of course no background check is going to be done, nor is it required.

It's like the saying goes, if guns kill people then do pencils mis-spell words? Of course they don't, people do. I would argue that guns are not the problem. The people using them to do illegal things are the problem. These people aren't going to register any guns they have. To think they would is completely ignorant.

Mike

Technically the seller is still owner of the gun. Say you get robbed and the gun is stolen then used in a bank robbery, the dude who sold you the gun being still the "official owner" will be wanted by the police if the gun is found. When you purchase a gun from private party you are supposed to report it to your local police. And they are supposed to do a background check and also take a shot with it send the casing and the bullet to the federal bureau of intimidation.

In my experience, the ones giving the bad rep are the people who set up a home armory through perfectly legal means, and don't lock the door properly, or leave the guns out and about for other people (usually kids) to grab and play with or take revenge with.

Guns are not the same as cars, cars are tools meant for travel. When used incorrectly or by someone impaired, they result in injury or death.

A gun is meant to be used as a weapon, so it should not be as easy to obtain as a car.

I have to say, that many of the people I know treat them both as toys, when both cars and guns can be very dangerous.

In my experience, the ones giving the bad rep are the people who set up a home armory through perfectly legal means, and don't lock the door properly, or leave the guns out and about for other people (usually kids) to grab and play with or take revenge with.

Guns are not the same as cars, cars are tools meant for travel. When used incorrectly or by someone impaired, they result in injury or death.

A gun is meant to be used as a weapon, so it should not be as easy to obtain as a car.

I have to say, that many of the people I know treat them both as toys, when both cars and guns can be very dangerous.

Respect to you! Thats the right way to think!

ever heard of Vehicular homicide? people use cars as weapons all the time! a gun is a tool, a tool for protection! it is all in the handling you don't leave a loaded gun with the safety off just sitting around and if you do that is very reckless. without the bullets in it it is basically harmless, and if they banned guns then people would use knifes, then what? are you gonna ban cutlery because some people use it to kill? what about baseball bats? I think if someone is a criminal they are unfit to own a gun, just like if someone is a drug addict they are unfit to raise a kid, but the responsible

owners should not have restrictions on what types of guns they can own.

ever heard of Vehicular homicide? people use cars as weapons all the time! a gun is a tool, a tool for protection! it is all in the handling you don't leave a loaded gun with the safety off just sitting around and if you do that is very reckless. without the bullets in it it is basically harmless, and if they banned guns then people would use knifes, then what? are you gonna ban cutlery because some people use it to kill? what about baseball bats? I think if someone is a criminal they are unfit to own a gun, just like if someone is a drug addict they are unfit to raise a kid, but the responsible

owners should not have restrictions on what types of guns they can own.

Gun control does not equal gun ban.

I can use a baseball bat to commit murder, but most people use it to play a game. Anything can be used as a weapon.

Vehicles are dangerous. it's why you need to be at least 16 and have permit to drive one, why you need a key to start one (for the most part) and there are rules and regulations to be road worthy.

Guns are specifically weapons. They have no other true purpose.

Don't get me wrong, I own a shotgun and a pistol. They are registered and I have a hunting permit. They both stay locked up in my closet when not in use, with the safety's on and ammo stored separately.

More gun control than there already is is just one step closer to gun ban in my opinion. I agree that guns should be kept away from children that are not old enough or responsible enough to be around them. That is common sense and unfortunately some don't use it or don't have it. Now, a gun is meant to be used as a weapon, it is also meant to be used as a hunting tool, or a recreational tool. I have guns that are meant for all three of those.

I have to say that a criminal who obtains a gun in an illegal way and does illegal things with it does not give lawful gun owners a good name does it? I don't think so. A lot of the people that are for more gun control don't own firearms and never have. They have never purchased one or tried and don't know the ins and outs of responsible ownership. They could care less about it and about the rights of the people that are responsible owners.

The government taking away rights should not be tolerated by anyone. One day they may take something away that you do care about.

Mike

More gun control than there already is is just one step closer to gun ban in my opinion. I agree that guns should be kept away from children that are not old enough or responsible enough to be around them. That is common sense and unfortunately some don't use it or don't have it. Now, a gun is meant to be used as a weapon, it is also meant to be used as a hunting tool, or a recreational tool. I have guns that are meant for all three of those.

I have to say that a criminal who obtains a gun in an illegal way and does illegal things with it does not give lawful gun owners a good name does it? I don't think so. A lot of the people that are for more gun control don't own firearms and never have. They have never purchased one or tried and don't know the ins and outs of responsible ownership. They could care less about it and about the rights of the people that are responsible owners.

The government taking away rights should not be tolerated by anyone. One day they may take something away that you do care about.

Mike

Well said! Thank you.

Driving actually isn't a "right", its a privilege (at least that is what we were taught in drivers ed, many years ago). Hence, you need a "license" to drive but not to own a gun. Truth be told, cars kill far more people than guns, their just harder to rob a store with ;)

In my opinion, having to register your guns is tantamount to having to be licensed.

I'll just leave this here...

(I can't stop giggling to say anything else!)

I own a hunting bow, and have enough proficiency with it to be lethal. No need for me to be liscenced to own that. That said, it'd be obvious if I was walking down the street carrying the bow.

I own a hunting bow, and have enough proficiency with it to be lethal. No need for me to be liscenced to own that. That said, it'd be obvious if I was walking down the street carrying the bow.

It would be cool to stop an intruder with a hunting bow, lol

Not that getting killed is cool but if you have to get killed that is a interesting way to go :ph34r:

You know I never understood how Yanks think they have the right to own a firearm... I've read the Second ammendment and it is fairly clear that you have to be a member of a well regulated militia and that Militia is to be risen for the protection of the state.

Jo Blow down the street hunting with a .50 Cal Sniper Rifle does not have that right to keep that weapon more then Jim Joe Johnson shooting people up with his .45 Cal Pistol

~Thanato

You're interpeting the 2nd Amendment incorrectly. "The Right of the People to keep and bear arms ..." mentions exactly the same group in, "We, the People ..."

"People" means everyone, not just a militia.

As for possession of a .50-caliber "sniper rifle." Those rifles cost $2,000 at the very least. Very few Americans own them. Those that do, almost every owner belongs to a gun club that competes against other .50-cal owners.

Contrary to the perception pumped out by Hollywood, TV, media, video games and the like, these rifles are almost never used in crimes. I follow firearm news quite closely and don't recall of a single incident involving one.

Owners shoot targets at long range, out to a mile or more, for recreation. As far as I know, most or all states bar their use for hunting.

America was founded by revolutionaries who, after exhausting every other resort, picked up a firearm and overthrew thir current government (Britain). Firearms are part of the American heritage, like it or not.

I know many, many firearms owners and they're NOT the wild-eyed, right-wing, raving lunatics that the media, Hollywood, TV and video games portray.

If blacks, Asians or Hispanics were maligned and outrageously portrayed as much as the legitimate American owners of firearms, there would be a tremendous hue and cry against their detractors. There isn't, because it's accepted, even seen as expected or chic, to be a bigot against gun owners.

I know, because I've experienced such bigotry myself from others.

"The People" means all citizens, not just a militia of soldiers. I consider the ownership of firearms, without onerous restriction, to be one of my finest rights, along with freedom of speech, and the requirement that my person and property cannot be searched without due process or probable cause.

You're interpeting the 2nd Amendment incorrectly. "The Right of the People to keep and bear arms ..." mentions exactly the same group in, "We, the People ..."

"People" means everyone, not just a militia.

As for possession of a .50-caliber "sniper rifle." Those rifles cost $2,000 at the very least. Very few Americans own them. Those that do, almost every owner belongs to a gun club that competes against other .50-cal owners.

Contrary to the perception pumped out by Hollywood, TV, media, video games and the like, these rifles are almost never used in crimes. I follow firearm news quite closely and don't recall of a single incident involving one.

Owners shoot targets at long range, out to a mile or more, for recreation. As far as I know, most or all states bar their use for hunting.

America was founded by revolutionaries who, after exhausting every other resort, picked up a firearm and overthrew thir current government (Britain). Firearms are part of the American heritage, like it or not.

I know many, many firearms owners and they're NOT the wild-eyed, right-wing, raving lunatics that the media, Hollywood, TV and video games portray.

If blacks, Asians or Hispanics were maligned and outrageously portrayed as much as the legitimate American owners of firearms, there would be a tremendous hue and cry against their detractors. There isn't, because it's accepted, even seen as expected or chic, to be a bigot against gun owners.

I know, because I've experienced such bigotry myself from others.

"The People" means all citizens, not just a militia of soldiers. I consider the ownership of firearms, without onerous restriction, to be one of my finest rights, along with freedom of speech, and the requirement that my person and property cannot be searched without due process or probable cause.

That's your opinion. Me being a member of my Nations Military, from a nation were their are millions of fire arms and few related deaths. I just find it stupid that there are areas of the US were anyone can go in and acquire a firearm with out any prior knowledge or courses in the use of said weapon. Also I am flabbergasted that in the same store you can purchase an M16 Assault Rifle and a .308 Hunting Rifle. You can't tell me that you are using the M16 for hunting and if you say home defence... you chose the wrong weapon.

~Thanato

How many people do you think you bag on a school campass before getting your ass handed to you. Now I am thinking Legolas from LOTR`s lol

How many people do you think you bag on a school campass before getting your ass handed to you. Now I am thinking Legolas from LOTR`s lol

Depends on the size of the school really, and the time of day.